Why it's so hard to get Republican women in Congress
2019-07-11 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: But first: The record-settingwave of women elected to Congress was a defining(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:但首先:选举出国会议的女性创纪录的浪潮是一个定义

feature of the 2018 midterms.(2)
2018年中期的特征。

But of the 36 women newly elected to the Houseof Representatives, only one was a Republican.(3)
但在新当选众议院的36名女性中,只有一名是共和党人。

And the party's efforts to court more womenhit another setback this week, when political(4)
该党为更多女性提起诉讼的努力本周遭遇了政治上的又一次挫折

newcomer Joan Perry lost her GOP primary racein North Carolina.(5)
新人Joan Perry在北卡罗来纳州失去了GOP初选。

Capitol Hill correspondent Lisa Desjardinsis back.(6)
国会山记者Lisa Desjardins回来了。

She spoke earlier with Republican CongresswomanDebbie Lesko of Arizona's 8th District.(7)
她早些时候与亚利桑那州第八区的共和党众议员黛比莱斯科谈过。

LISA DESJARDINS: Thank you for joining us,Congresswoman.(8)
LISA DESJARDINS:感谢您加入我们,国会女议员。

First of all...(9)
首先...

REP.(10)
REP。

DEBBIE LESKO (R-AZ): Thank you for havingme.(11)
DEBBIE LESKO(R-AZ):谢谢你的帮助。

LISA DESJARDINS: ... what do you think happenedin North Carolina, and how significant was(12)
LISA DESJARDINS:......你认为在北卡罗来纳州发生了什么,有多重要

that?(13)
那?

REP.(14)
REP。

DEBBIE LESKO: Well, you know, I really wantto support Republican women.(15)
DEBBIE LESKO:嗯,你知道,我真的想支持共和党女性。

We lost 10 Republican women in the last electioncycle.(16)
在上一轮选举中,我们失去了10名共和党妇女。

And since I'm a Republican and I'm a woman,I'm really going to try to work hard to recruit(17)
因为我是共和党人而且我是女性,所以我真的会努力招募

more women and make sure they get elected.(18)
更多的女性,并确保他们当选。

And so I had donated to Joan Perry.(19)
所以我捐给了琼·佩里。

But I congratulate Mr. Murphy, and I thinkhe's going to win.(20)
但我祝贺墨菲先生,我认为他会赢。

I look forward to working with him and gettingto know him better.(21)
我期待着与他合作并更好地了解他。

LISA DESJARDINS: I know you have heard someof these numbers before, but I want to just(22)
LISA DESJARDINS:我知道你之前听过其中一些数字,但我想说的就是

look at Republicans in the House right now.(23)
现在看看众议院的共和党人。

There's a couple ways to slice these numbers.(24)
有几种方法可以分割这些数字。

First of all, if you look at all the womenin the House of Representatives, it's a record(25)
首先,如果你看看众议院的所有女性,这是一个记录

number of women; 89 are Democrats.(26)
妇女人数; 89名民主党人。

Just 13 of you are Republican women.(27)
你们中只有13位是共和党女性。

Then, if you look at the composition of eachpolitical caucus or conference, 42 percent(28)
然后,如果你看看每个政治核心小组或会议的组成,42%

of all the Democrats in the House are women.(29)
众议院所有民主党人都是女性。

But, for Republicans, it's just 7 percent.(30)
但是,对于共和党人来说,这只是7%。

REP.(31)
REP。

DEBBIE LESKO: I know.(32)
DEBBIE LESKO:我知道。

It's sad.(33)
这是可悲的。

We need to increase the numbers.(34)
我们需要增加数量。

So, I'm the bipartisan...(35)
所以,我是两党......

LISA DESJARDINS: But why is this?(36)
LISA DESJARDINS:但这是为什么?

REP.(37)
REP。

DEBBIE LESKO: Well, I'm the bipartisan co-chairwomanof the Women's Caucus in Congress.(38)
DEBBIE LESKO:嗯,我是国会妇女核心小组的两党联合主席。

And so, yes, it's a little one-sided, becauseI try to get all my Republican women to our(39)
所以,是的,这有点片面,因为我试图把我所有的共和党女性都带到我们这里

different events.(40)
不同的事件。

But there's a lot more Democrats.(41)
但还有更多的民主党人。

I don't know the answer.(42)
我不知道答案。

I think one of the answers is recruiting Republicanwomen for heavily Republican districts, because(43)
我认为其中一个答案是为共和党的大部分地区招募共和党妇女,因为

we have a lot of women that lost that werein swing districts.(44)
我们有很多女性在摇摆区失去了。

And the Democrats, quite frankly, tried totake us out, so that they could continue the(45)
坦率地说,民主党人试图把我们赶出去,这样他们就能继续这样做

narrative that there's more males in the RepublicanParty than women.(46)
叙述共和党中男性多于女性。

LISA DESJARDINS: Whatever narratives you believe,looking at the numbers, especially from the(47)
LISA DESJARDINS:无论你相信什么样的叙述,都要看数字,尤其是数字

Center for Women in Politics from Rutgers,they looked at who was running last year.(48)
来自罗格斯大学的政治女性中心,他们看了去年谁在竞选。

And just on the ballot, Democrats had fourtimes as many women running.(49)
在选票上,民主党的女性运动次数是女性的四倍。

And I know, from covering Republicans foryears, being near grassroots, women are doing(50)
我知道,从覆盖共和党多年来,在基层附近,女性正在做

the work in the Republican Party.(51)
共和党的工作。

They are there on the local level.(52)
他们在当地一级。

I see them.(53)
我看到他们。

My question to you is, why are they not gettingon the ballot?(54)
我的问题是,他们为什么不参加投票?

Why are they not running?(55)
他们为什么不跑?

REP.(56)
REP。

DEBBIE LESKO: You know, I don't know the answerto that.(57)
DEBBIE LESKO:你知道,我不知道答案。

And it may have to do with recruiting or justshowing people like me and trying to get more(58)
它可能与招聘或只是展示像我这样的人并试图获得更多

Republican women in leadership positions.(59)
共和党妇女担任领导职务。

I mean, Liz Cheney is in a leadership positionright now.(60)
我的意思是,Liz Cheney现在处于领导地位。

And maybe, as more women see that it's possibleand that there's Republican conservative women(61)
也许,随着越来越多的女性认为这是可能的,并且有共和党保守派女性

out there, then I think more people will joinour ranks.(62)
在那里,然后我想更多人将加入我们的行列。

I sure hope so, because it can get a littlelonely over here.(63)
我当然希望如此,因为它在这里会有点孤独。

I got to recruit more Republican women thatare conservatives.(64)
我要招募更多保守派的共和党女性。

LISA DESJARDINS: I have heard you and otherssay they don't think there should be an advantage(65)
LISA DESJARDINS:我听到你和其他人说他们认为不应该有优势

to being a woman.(66)
做一个女人

People shouldn't vote for someone just becauseyou're a woman.(67)
人们不应该因为你是女人而投票给别人。

But I'm curious, could there be a disadvantageto being a woman in politics that the party(68)
但我很好奇,作为政党中的女性,会不会有一个劣势

needs to make up for?(69)
需要弥补?

REP.(70)
REP。

DEBBIE LESKO: You know what's interestingis, at the state level, when I served in the(71)
DEBBIE LESKO:你知道什么是有趣的,在州一级,当我服务于

Arizona State Senate and the Arizona Statehouse,I really saw no difference between how I was(72)
亚利桑那州参议院和亚利桑那州议会大厦,我真的看到我的情况没有区别

treated as a woman vs. a man.(73)
被视为女人与男人。

But I have to tell you, there is a littlebit of an attitude here that I found with(74)
但我必须告诉你,我发现这里有一点态度

some congressional members, both on -- well,mostly, quite frankly, that I work with on(75)
一些国会议员,非常,坦率地说,我与之合作

the Democrat side this time, that are kindof condescending to me in different roles.(76)
这次是民主党,这对我来说是不同的角色。

And I have pointed it out to them, and I donot let them get away with it.(77)
我已经向他们指出了,我不会让他们逃脱它。

LISA DESJARDINS: On the Republican side, coveringCongress last year, it was hard not to notice,(78)
LISA DESJARDINS:在共和党方面,去年覆盖国会,很难不注意到,

when Republicans were in charge, just threeout of 21 committee chairs were women.(79)
当共和党人负责时,21名委员会主席中只有三名是女性。

And many of your strongest female leadersleft the House for other positions elsewhere.(80)
许多最强大的女性领导人离开众议院前往其他地方。

Do you feel like the men in the House RepublicanConference actually promote women enough?(81)
你是否觉得众议院共和党会议中的男人实际上足够促进女性?

Is there space for you to lead?(82)
你有空间领导吗?

REP.(83)
REP。

DEBBIE LESKO: Well, I think we just need moreof us.(84)
DEBBIE LESKO:嗯,我想我们只需要更多的人。

We're -- we just need more women.(85)
我们 - 我们只需要更多的女性。

And, as that happens, we will naturally havemore Republican women in leadership and in(86)
而且,当这种情况发生时,我们自然会有更多的共和党妇女担任领导和领导

chairmanship roles.(87)
担任主席的角色。

If any Republican conservative women are outthere listening, please reach out to me.(88)
如果有共和党保守派女性在外听,请联系我。

I would love to talk to you.(89)
我很想和你谈谈。

LISA DESJARDINS: Congresswoman Debbie Leskoof Maricopa County, Arizona, thank you so(90)
LISA DESJARDINS:亚利桑那州马里科帕县的国会女议员Debbie Lesko,非常感谢你

much.(91)
许多。

REP.(92)
REP。

DEBBIE LESKO: Thank you.(93)
DEBBIE LESKO:谢谢。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org