Why Seth Moulton thinks impeachment is the right thing to do
2019-06-11 00:00:00


fJUDY WOODRUFF: Now our series of conversationswith candidates running for the Democratic(1)
fJUDY WOODRUFF:现在我们与候选人竞选民主党的一系列对话

Party's nomination to take on President Trump.(2)
党的提名接替特朗普总统。

Congressman Seth Moulton of Massachusettsis a former Marine who served four tours of(3)
马萨诸塞州的国会议员塞思莫尔顿是一名前海军陆战队员

duty in Iraq.(4)
伊拉克的义务。

He's making service and national securitycentral elements of his campaign.(5)
他正在为他的竞选活动提供服务和国家安全的核心要素。

And Representative Moulton joins me now.(6)
莫尔顿代表现在加入了我。

Welcome to the "NewsHour."(7)
欢迎来到“NewsHour”。

REP.(8)
REP。

SETH MOULTON (D-MA), Presidential Candidate:Thanks, Judy.(9)
SETH MOULTON(D-MA),总统候选人:谢谢,朱迪。

It's good to be here.(10)
在这里很高兴。

JUDY WOODRUFF: So, in this crowded field ofDemocrats, more than 20 of you, what makes(11)
JUDY WOODRUFF:所以,在这个拥挤的民主党领域,超过20个人,是什么让

you the person to take on Donald Trump?(12)
你是唐纳德特朗普的人吗?

We know there are several other candidateswho as young as you are.(13)
我们知道还有其他几位像你一样年轻的候选人。

There are several who have served in the military.(14)
有几个人在军队服役。

What's unique?(15)
有什么独特之处?

REP.(16)
REP。

SETH MOULTON: Yes, I think Donald Trump isgoing to be more difficult to beat than many(17)
SETH MOULTON:是的,我认为唐纳德特朗普比许多人更难打败

Democrats think.(18)
民主党人认为。

And to do so, we need to build a coalition,a coalition that includes everybody in our(19)
要做到这一点,我们需要建立一个联盟,一个包括我们所有人的联盟

party, plus those independent Obama-Trumpvoters and even disaffected Republicans.(20)
党,加上那些独立的奥巴马 - 特朗普选民,甚至是心怀不满的共和党人。

And that's hard to do.(21)
这很难做到。

But that's exactly the job that I had in Iraq.(22)
但这正是我在伊拉克所做的工作。

And unlike any other candidate in this race,I led troops on the ground, had to build a(23)
与这场比赛中的其他任何候选人不同,我在地面上领导部队,不得不建立一个

coalition of people from all over this countryin my platoon, different religious beliefs,(24)
在我的排,不同的宗教信仰,来自这个国家的联盟

different political beliefs, and get themto not just vote for me, but actually to risk(25)
不同的政治信仰,让他们不仅仅投票给我,而是实际上冒险

their lives for what we were trying to do.(26)
他们的生活是我们想要做的。

I'm also taking on Donald Trump in his job,not just as president, but as commander in(27)
我也在接受唐纳德特朗普的工作,不仅仅是担任总统,还担任过总统的指挥官

chief.(28)
首席。

I think that's actually where he's weakest,and I think we need to do that if we're going(29)
我认为这实际上是他最弱的地方,我认为如果我们要去,我们需要这样做

to win.(30)
赢了。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Let's talk about somethingthat's before the Congress right now in many(31)
JUDY WOODRUFF:让我们谈谈许多人现在在国会面前的事情

ways.(32)
方法。

And we just talked to our correspondent LisaDesjardins.(33)
我们刚刚与我们的记者Lisa Desjardins进行了交谈。

That is the question of impeachment proceedings.(34)
这是弹劾程序的问题。

You have said they should start right away.(35)
你说他们应该马上开始。

Speaker Pelosi is saying, no, let's hold off.(36)
演讲者佩洛西说,不,让我们推迟。

Why is her argument wrong?(37)
为什么她的论点错了?

REP.(38)
REP。

SETH MOULTON: Well, she makes actually a verygood argument on the politics, which is that(39)
SETH MOULTON:嗯,她实际上是一个关于政治的非常好的论据,就是这样

maybe the politics make this tricky.(40)
也许政治使这个棘手。

And I understand that.(41)
我理解这一点。

I accept that that might be the case.(42)
我接受可能是这种情况。

But how about just doing the right thing onprinciple, on the oath that we swore, not(43)
但是,在原则上做正确的事情,在我们发誓的誓言,而不是

to protect our political party, but to protectand defend the Constitution of the United(44)
保护我们的政党,但保护和捍卫美国宪法

States?(45)
状态?

The principle is very clear here.(46)
这里的原则很清楚。

I mean, half the president's campaign teamis in prison.(47)
我的意思是,总统竞选团队的一半在监狱里。

His campaign chairman is in prison.(48)
他的竞选主席正在监狱中。

You can't read even just a page of the executivesummary of the Mueller report and not say(49)
你甚至不能只阅读穆勒报告执行摘要的一页而不是说

that, just by the facts, we should be havingthis debate in Congress and before the American(50)
只是根据事实,我们应该在国会和美国之前进行这场辩论

people.(51)
人。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Let's talk about some of theissues, Congressman.(52)
JUDY WOODRUFF:我们来谈谈一些问题,国会议员。

As I said, you served in active duty.(53)
正如我所说,你曾在现役。

You have just talked about that.(54)
你刚才谈到了这一点。

It gives you some credentials when it comesto national security.(55)
在国家安全方面,它为您提供了一些凭据。

In a nutshell, what is working with the Trumpadministration foreign policy and what's not(56)
简而言之,什么是特朗普政府的外交政策,什么不是

working?(57)
工作?

REP.(58)
REP。

SETH MOULTON: Well, there's almost nothingthat's working.(59)
SETH MOULTON:嗯,几乎没有什么可行的。

He is putting us in tremendous danger aroundthe globe.(60)
他让我们在全球范围内处于极大的危险之中。

The one thing I will give him credit for isfor standing up to China, because China is(61)
我要赞扬的一件事就是站在中国,因为中国是

a serious long-term economic and nationalsecurity threat to the United States.(62)
对美国构成严重的长期经济和国家安全威胁。

But his tactics are all wrong.(63)
但他的策略都是错的。

Throwing around tariffs, not working withour allies, it's exactly the wrong approach.(64)
关税,不与我们的盟友合作,这是错误的做法。

We should actually be building coalitionsin the Pacific.(65)
我们实际上应该在太平洋地区建立联盟。

I talked about a Pacific version of NATO tohelp contain the rise of China and North Korea.(66)
我谈到了太平洋版的北约,以帮助遏制中国和朝鲜的崛起。

We should be strengthening the Iran deal,not pulling out of it and starting a war.(67)
我们应该加强伊朗的协议,而不是摆脱它并开始战争。

We should be strengthening NATO to deal withthe next generation of threats from Russia,(68)
我们应该加强北约来应对来自俄罗斯的下一代威胁,

which is -- which are coming through the Internet,not by rolling tanks into Eastern Europe.(69)
这是 - 通过互联网,而不是通过滚动坦克进入东欧。

Trump is doing none of these things.(70)
特朗普没有做这些事情。

He's just disparaging our allies and, frankly,cozying up to our enemies all around the globe.(71)
他只是贬低我们的盟友,坦率地说,他们在全球范围内扼杀我们的敌人。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Veterans.(72)
JUDY WOODRUFF:退伍军人。

You have talked, of course, about veterans.(73)
当然,你已经谈过退伍军人了。

You're a veteran yourself.(74)
你自己就是老将。

President Trump says that he, more than anyother president, would take care of America's(75)
特朗普总统说,他比任何其他总统都更关心美国的问题

veterans.(76)
退伍军人。

REP.(77)
REP。

SETH MOULTON: Well, he's failed to do so.(78)
SETH MOULTON:嗯,他未能这样做。

He's failed to do so.(79)
他未能这样做。

I mean, we still have historic rates of veteransuicide.(80)
我的意思是,我们仍有历史性的退伍军人自杀率。

President Trump thinks that patriotism ishugging the flag.(81)
特朗普总统认为爱国主义正在拥抱国旗。

That's not true.(82)
这不是真的。

Patriotism is fighting for what the flag standsfor.(83)
爱国主义正在争夺国旗所代表的意义。

And this is a man who dodged the draft, letsomeone else go in his place when it was turn(84)
这是一个躲过选秀的人,让其他人在轮到他的时候就去了

to serve the country.(85)
为国家服务。

I think that's wrong.(86)
我认为那是错的。

And I think it's a good thing that, unlikeany other candidate in this race, the first(87)
而且我认为,与这场比赛中的其他候选人不同,这是第一次

time that I have to make a decision involvingthe lives of young Americans and live with(88)
我必须做出涉及美国年轻人生活和生活的决定的时间

the consequences of that decision won't bewhen I'm sitting in the Situation Room in(89)
这个决定的后果不会是我坐在情景室的时候

the White House.(90)
白宫。

I have made those decisions before, and Ican talk with credibility about our national(91)
我以前做过那些决定,而且我可以和我们国民的可信度谈谈

security and making the hard choices aboutwhen we go to war and when we do not.(92)
安全和做出艰难的选择,我们什么时候开战,什么时候不去。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Some domestic issues.(93)
JUDY WOODRUFF:一些国内问题。

Health care.(94)
卫生保健。

You are for the so-called public option...(95)
你是所谓的公共选择......

REP.(96)
REP。

SETH MOULTON: That's right.(97)
SETH MOULTON:没错。

JUDY WOODRUFF: ... whereas many of your fellowcandidates say they favor a government-run,(98)
JUDY WOODRUFF:......虽然你们的许多候选人说他们赞成政府管理,

single-payer health care system.(99)
单一支付者医疗保健系统。

What's wrong with their idea?(100)
他们的想法有什么问题?

REP.(101)
REP。

SETH MOULTON: Well, I'm the only candidatein the race who actually gets a government-run(102)
SETH MOULTON:嗯,我是比赛中唯一真正获得政府管理的候选人

single-payer system, because I made a commitmentto keep going to the VA for my health care(103)
单支付系统,因为我承诺继续前往VA进行医疗保健

even when I was elected to Congress.(104)
即使我当选国会议员。

And I have seen the good, the bad, the uglyof that system.(105)
我已经看到了那个系统的好,坏,丑。

That's why I'm with President Obama and hisplan that, admittedly, wasn't passed.(106)
这就是为什么我和奥巴马总统以及他的计划无可否认的原因。

Congress changed this when they passed Obamacare.(107)
国会通过奥巴马医改后改变了这一点。

But his plan was to have a public option thatwould compete with private sector health care(108)
但他的计划是有一个与私营部门医疗保健竞争的公共选择

plans.(109)
计划。

JUDY WOODRUFF: The original plan.(110)
JUDY WOODRUFF:最初的计划。

REP.(111)
REP。

SETH MOULTON: That was the original plan.(112)
SETH MOULTON:这是最初的计划。

That's what we should have today.(113)
这就是我们今天应该拥有的。

I know it because I see it firsthand at theVA.(114)
我知道,因为我在弗吉尼亚州第一手看到它。

There are some things the VA does well.(115)
VA做得很好。

They negotiate prescription drug prices, whichMedicare doesn't.(116)
他们谈判处方药价格,Medicare没有。

But I also had surgery at the VA a few yearsago and was literally sent home that afternoon(117)
但是几年前我还在弗吉尼亚州做过手术,那天下午就被送回了家

with the wrong medications.(118)
用错误的药物。

That's not the health care that everybodyin America deserves.(119)
这不是美国每个人应得的医疗保健。

JUDY WOODRUFF: The economy.(120)
JUDY WOODRUFF:经济。

The other Bay State, Massachusetts, candidatein the race, Elizabeth Warren, has talked(121)
另一位在马萨诸塞州湾州的候选人,伊丽莎白沃伦,已经谈过

about what she calls a wealth tax, a specialtax on people who have assets over $50 million,(122)
关于她所谓的财富税,对资产超过5000万美元的人征收特别税,

an annual tax.(123)
年度税。

Do you agree with her about that?(124)
你同意她的看法吗?

REP. SETH MOULTON: It's a nice idea, but it'snot going to work.(125)
REP。 SETH MOULTON:这是一个不错的主意,但它不会起作用。

It's been tried other places in the world.(126)
它已被尝试在世界其他地方。

You can't enforce it.(127)
你不能强制执行它。

What we need to do is enforce the tax systemto make it fair.(128)
我们需要做的是强制执行税收制度以使其公平。

Right now, almost every American is payingmore taxes than Amazon, Netflix, Delta Air(129)
现在,几乎每个美国人都比亚马逊,Netflix,达美航空支付更多的税

Lines combined.(130)
线条合并。

There are true inequities in our tax system.(131)
我们的税制确实存在不公平现象。

What we need to do is make sure that everybody'spaying their fair share, not pit the poor(132)
我们需要做的是确保每个人都支付他们的公平份额,而不是让穷人陷入困境

vs. the wealthy or anything like that, butjust make sure that everybody's on an equal(133)
与富人或类似的东西相比,但只要确保每个人都平等

playing field, and, if you do hard work fora living, you're going to pay the same taxes(134)
比赛场地,如果你努力工作,你将支付同样的税

as someone who's just trading money on WallStreet.(135)
作为一个只在华尔街交易的人。

Right now, that's not the case.(136)
现在,事实并非如此。

That's what we need to fix.(137)
这就是我们需要解决的问题。

JUDY WOODRUFF: But Senator Warren argues,you need to raise this money in order to do(138)
JUDY WOODRUFF:但参议员沃伦争辩说,你需要筹集这笔资金才能做到

some of the great things that Democrats wantto do for...(139)
民主党人想要做的一些伟大的事情......

(CROSSTALK)
REP.(140)
REP。

SETH MOULTON: Oh, I agree with that.(141)
SETH MOULTON:哦,我同意这一点。

But the difference is that I'm not going toput forward a tax system that's not going(142)
但不同的是,我不打算提出一个不会进行的税收制度

to work.(143)
上班。

And her system has been proven ineffectivein other countries around the world.(144)
她的系统在世界其他国家被证明无效。

I do like the idea of it, but it's just notgoing to work.(145)
我喜欢它的想法,但它不会起作用。

What will work is raising the corporate rateback up to 25 percent.(146)
什么会有效将公司利率提高到25%。

I'm for that.(147)
我是为了那个。

It's raising the rate on investment money,so that the capital gains tax is comparable(148)
它提高了投资资金的利率,因此资本利得税具有可比性

with what you make in a payroll tax, so that,if you're doing hard work, you're going to(149)
与你在工资税中所做的一样,这样,如果你正在努力工作,你就会去

pay the same rate as people who are tradingmoney.(150)
支付与交易钱的人相同的费率。

That's basic fairness.(151)
这是基本的公平。

That's what we need in the system.(152)
这就是我们在系统中所需要的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Something else.(153)
JUDY WOODRUFF:别的。

We know President Trump is known for puttinglabels on people he doesn't like.(154)
我们知道特朗普总统以给他不喜欢的人贴标签而闻名。

Today and recently, he has called Joe Biden-- he called him 1 percent Joe.(155)
今天和最近,他打电话给乔拜登 - 他称他为1%乔。

He called him sleepy Joe.(156)
他称他为昏昏欲睡的乔。

And I think today he called him weak mentally.(157)
我认为今天他在精神上称他为弱者。

Today, Joe Biden turned around and calledthe president an existential threat.(158)
今天,乔拜登转过身来,称总统是一个存在主义的威胁。

Do you think that Democrats have to come upwith a way to label the president, or can(159)
你是否认为民主党人必须想出一种方式来标记总统,或者可以

Democrats be above the fray?(160)
民主党人在争夺战之上?

REP.(161)
REP。

SETH MOULTON: No, I think that's kind of awaste of time.(162)
SETH MOULTON:不,我认为这是浪费时间。

I mean, this is the dirty politics that thepresident plays.(163)
我的意思是,这是总统所扮演的肮脏政治。

We need to talk about what we're going todo for the country.(164)
我们需要谈谈我们将为国家做些什么。

We need to put the president in his place,sure.(165)
当然,我们需要把总统放在他的位置。

You can't ignore him.(166)
你不能忽视他。

I mean, he's the commander in chief of theUnited States, and he's a real threat to our(167)
我的意思是,他是美国的总司令,他是对我们的真正威胁

country.(168)
国家。

That's true.(169)
确实如此。

But let's talk about how we are going to lead.(170)
但是,让我们谈谈我们将如何领导。

Let's talk about how President Trump has failedin his policies, about how he promised a tax(171)
让我们来谈谈特朗普总统在他的政策中如何失败,以及他如何承诺征税

cut for the middle class, but just gave itto the rich, how he promised to take care(172)
对于中产阶级来说,只是把它给了富人,他承诺如何照顾

of veterans, but he's failed at the VA, howhe promised to give health care to everybody,(173)
退伍军人,但他在弗吉尼亚州失败了,他承诺如何为每个人提供医疗服务,

but his administration has just spent yearstrying to take it away.(174)
但他的政府花了数年时间试图把它拿走。

Let's focus on where he's failed as president,where he's failed as commander in chief, and(175)
让我们把重点放在他作为总统失败的地方,在那里他作为总司令失败了

then talk about our vision for the country.(176)
然后谈谈我们对这个国家的愿景。

That's what I'm doing in this campaign.(177)
这就是我在这次活动中所做的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Congressman Seth Moulton, lookingto win the Democratic nomination, thank you(178)
JUDY WOODRUFF:国会议员Seth Moulton,希望赢得民主党提名,谢谢

very much.(179)
非常。

REP.(180)
REP。

SETH MOULTON: Thanks, Judy.(181)
SETH MOULTON:谢谢,朱迪。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org