Novelist Nathan Englander on how ritual fuels his writing
2019-06-12 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Religion and its effects permeatethe work of novelist Nathan Englander.(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:宗教及其影响渗透到小说家Nathan Englander的作品中。

Raised in a highly observant Jewish family,Englander turned away from religion and made(2)
在一个高度观察的犹太家庭中长大,英格兰人转而远离宗教并制造

a decision to live a secular life.(3)
过世俗生活的决定。

But the rituals of religion stayed with him,not in prayer, but in the way he lived his(4)
但宗教的仪式一直伴随着他,不是祈祷,而是他的生活方式

daily life.(5)
日常生活。

Tonight, Englander shares his Humble Opinionon the discipline and focus he found, and(6)
今晚,Englander分享了他对他所发现的纪律和专注的拙见

joy that comes with it.(7)
随之而来的快乐。

NATHAN ENGLANDER, Author, "Kaddish.com": WhenI left the religious community, I left it(8)
NATHAN ENGLANDER,作者,“Kaddish.com”:当我离开宗教团体时,我离开了它

with a vengeance.(9)
复仇。

Like a rubber band stretched to breaking andthen released, I shot off in the other direction,(10)
就像一条拉伸到破裂然后释放的橡皮筋,我向另一个方向射击,

landing as far as I could from the OrthodoxJewish world in which I had been raised.(11)
我尽可能地从正统的犹太世界登陆。

Instead of being faithful about faith, I turnedsuper faithful about fiction.(12)
我没有忠实于信仰,而是对小说过分忠诚。

And for a long time, I saw it as a zero sumgame.(13)
很长一段时间,我把它视为零和游戏。

But the more I wrote, the more i began torealize how the religious rituals of my childhood,(14)
但是我写的越多,我就越开始意识到我童年的宗教仪式,

they fed the creative routines of that writinglife.(15)
他们养成了写作生活的创造性惯例。

That is, I may have left the fold, but I seemto have brought two pillars of Orthodox Judaism,(16)
也就是说,我可能已经离开了,但我似乎带来了正统犹太教的两个支柱,

sacred time and sacred space, along with me.(17)
神圣的时间和神圣的空间,以及我。

The time element was an obvious fit.(18)
时间元素显然是合适的。

I adopted the six days for creation and aseventh for rest model.(19)
我采用了六天的创作和第七个休息模型。

I figured, if it worked for building thisworld, it should work for fictional ones as(20)
我想,如果它能够建立这个世界,它应该适用于虚构的世界

well.(21)
好。

As the writing years piled on, I noticed somethingelse: how I would wait to sit at the same(22)
随着写作年代的临近,我注意到了其他一些事情:我将如何等待同样的事情

table at the same coffee shop every day, howI would stake out my spot in the library,(23)
每天在同一家咖啡店的桌子上,我如何在图书馆放样,

and I can hardly express how much I now cherishmy chair and my desk and my unchanging office(24)
而且我几乎无法表达我现在多么珍惜我的椅子和桌子以及我不变的办公室

window view.(25)
窗口视图。

This is where the sacred space comes in.(26)
这是神圣空间的来源。

I finally understood the bigger idea behindwhat I was doing.(27)
我终于理解了我正在做的事情背后的更大理念。

It related directly to the notion of what'scalled in Hebrew the makom kavua, one's set(28)
它直接与希伯来语中所谓的makom kavua,一个集合的概念有关

place.(29)
地点。

It reminded me of sitting next to my dad insynagogue, how we sat in the same seats in(30)
它让我想起坐在我父亲犹太教堂旁边,我们如何坐在同一个座位上

the same row every week, in front of theselittle brass tags with our last name engraved(31)
每周都在同一排,在这些小黄铜标签前刻上我们的姓氏

upon them.(32)
在他们之上。

I thought that reserved space for my fatherwas about respect.(33)
我以为我父亲的保留空间是尊重。

I thought it was about honor.(34)
我以为这是关于荣誉的。

But it was more about engaging with worshipor the writing from a fixed place, because(35)
但它更多的是与崇拜或从固定的地方进行写作,因为

it's the combination of those two elements,the daily rituals and the physical routines,(36)
它是这两个元素的组合,每日仪式和物理程序,

that I am convinced are key to whatever kindof transcendence it is you're after.(37)
我确信这是你所追求的任何超越的关键。

Whether you race to a 6:00 a.m. yoga classor morning mass, whether you need the window(38)
无论您是参加上午6:00的瑜伽课还是早晨的弥撒,无论您是否需要窗户

seat in your own coffee shop or your shoeskicked off so you can better feel the floor(39)
坐在你自己的咖啡店或你的鞋子开始,这样你就可以更好地感受到地板

under your feet, providing that kind of continuityfor the body is the best way to free up the(40)
在你脚下,为身体提供那种连续性是释放身体的最好方法

mind.(41)
心神。

For the writer, honestly, it helps you buildup a kind of creative reflex, so that those(42)
对于作家来说,老实说,它可以帮助你建立一种创造性的反射,以便那些

synapses fire off, and the images come.(43)
突然发射,图像来了。

And from there, all you need to do is sitback and watch your fingers fly.(44)
从那里,你需要做的就是坐下来看着你的手指飞翔。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Nathan Englander, we thankyou.(45)
JUDY WOODRUFF:Nathan Englander,谢谢。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org