How innovation and small steps can help us solve The Plastic Problem
2019-11-26 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Tomorrow night, PBS will airan hour-long special report from our "NewsHour"(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:明天晚上,PBS将从我们的“ NewsHour”播出一个小时的专题报道

team.(2)
球队。

"The Plastic Problem" examines how our globaldependency on plastic has created one of the(3)
“塑料问题”探讨了我们对塑料的全球依赖性如何造成了其中一种

biggest environmental threats to our planet.(4)
对我们星球的最大环境威胁。

Amna Nawaz hosts the hour.(5)
Amna Nawaz主持小时。

And she joins me here now.(6)
她现在和我一起在这里。

So, Amna, hello.(7)
恩娜,你好

This was an enormous undertaking.(8)
这是一项艰巨的任务。

You all spent, what, a year working on this.(9)
你们花了一年的时间在这上面。

Tell us a little bit about what's in it?(10)
告诉我们一些内容吗?

AMNA NAWAZ: That's right.(11)
AMNA NAWAZ:是的。

I was part of this reporting team from the"NewsHour," along with John Yang, Paul Solman(12)
我是“ NewsHour”的这个报告团队的成员,还有John Yang,Paul Solman

and Jeffrey Brown.(13)
和杰弗里·布朗。

And we were led by our producer Lorna Baldwin.(14)
我们由制片人洛娜·鲍德温(Lorna Baldwin)领导。

Over the last year, we have dug into moreabout the reporting from the series last year,(15)
在过去的一年中,我们深入研究了该系列去年的报告,

expanded that reporting across the globe.(16)
将报告扩展到全球。

And we wanted to try to understand how thisone material that we all rely on so much every(17)
我们想尝试了解我们每个人都非常依赖的一种材料

day is now irreversibly hurting our planetin ways most of us don't even understand.(18)
如今,我们大多数人甚至不了解的方式正在不可逆转地伤害着我们的星球。

Most people don't know, in the 70 years plastichas been around, we have made nine billion(19)
大多数人不知道,在塑料问世70年来,我们已经赚了90亿

tons of that, and that most of that is stillaround in some form.(20)
吨,而且大部分仍以某种形式存在。

In fact, we should point out, some of theimages people may see this documentary are(21)
实际上,我们应该指出,人们可能会看到这部纪录片的一些图像是

a little disturbing.(22)
有点不安。

And we found, in some places, the plasticis ended up in places we don't expect it to.(23)
我们发现,在某些地方,塑料最终出现在我们意料之外的地方。

Take a look at this.(24)
看看这个。

MAN: Oh, my God.(25)
男人:哦,天哪。

AMNA NAWAZ: In 2015, a Marine biologist'swent video went viral documenting the painful(26)
AMNA NAWAZ:2015年,一名海洋生物学家的录像带病毒传播,记录了这种痛苦

process as she removed a plastic straw stuckin a sea turtle's nose.(27)
她移走了一只粘在海龟鼻子上的塑料吸管。

WOMAN: Oh, man.(28)
女人:哦,男人。

AMNA NAWAZ: In the Philippines, a whale washedashore in 2019 with nearly 90 pounds of plastic(29)
AMNA NAWAZ:在菲律宾,一条鲸鱼在2019年用近90磅的塑料冲上岸

in its stomach.(30)
在它的肚子里。

Seals are getting caught in fishing nets madeout of plastic.(31)
海豹被塑料制成的渔网卡住了。

They're called ghost nets, abandoned by thefishing industry.(32)
他们被称为鬼网,被捕捞业抛弃。

And an estimated 640,000 tons of them arefloating in the ocean.(33)
其中估计有640,000吨漂浮在海洋中。

That's 10 percent of all known ocean plastic.(34)
那是所有已知海洋塑料的10%。

Judy, we should point out experts now believethat, by the year 2050, there will be more(35)
朱迪,我们应该指出,专家们认为,到2050年,将会有更多

plastic than fish in the oceans.(36)
塑料比海洋中的鱼类还多。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Oh, my gosh.(37)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫:哦,天哪。

That's hard to comprehend.(38)
很难理解。

So it does sound as if we're just now comingto an understanding of how serious the problem(39)
听起来好像我们刚刚才开始了解问题的严重性

is.(40)
是。

What did you learn about that?(41)
您从中学到了什么?

AMNA NAWAZ: Yes, we really tried to approachthis from every angle, not just looking at(42)
AMNA NAWAZ:是的,我们确实尝试从各个角度探讨这个问题,而不仅仅是看

the history of how we got here and why theproblem is so big, but also looking at how(43)
我们如何到达这里的历史以及问题为何如此严重的历史,还着眼于如何

the people who make the plastic, the peoplewho package everything up to sell it to us,(44)
制造塑料的人,包装所有东西以出售给我们的人,

how they see the problem.(45)
他们如何看待问题。

So we went to two of the biggest producersin the world.(46)
因此,我们去了世界上最大的两家生产商。

We went to Coca-Cola and to Unilever.(47)
我们去了可口可乐和联合利华。

And we asked them what they're doing to helpfix this problem they helped to create.(48)
我们问他们在做什么,以帮助解决他们造成的这个问题。

We also looked at the role recycling plays.(49)
我们还研究了回收的作用。

A lot of people think that they roll the bluebins out to the curb at the end of the week,(50)
很多人认为,他们在本周结束时将蓝色垃圾桶扔到路边,

and that's it.(51)
就是这样。

We followed that trail of recyclable goodsthousands of miles to see where that plastic(52)
我们沿着那条可回收物品的踪迹走了数千英里,看那塑料在哪里

is ending up.(53)
即将结束。

We talked to scientists who are looking atthe fish that eat the plastic to ask, now(54)
我们与正在寻找吃塑料的鱼的科学家进行了交谈,现在

are humans eating plastic because we eat thefish?(55)
人类吃塑料是因为我们吃了鱼吗?

And we also talked to the innovators, thepeople who are taking on new and creative(56)
我们还与创新者进行了交流,

approaches to try to address this problem.(57)
解决此问题的方法。

Judy, some of those approaches would actuallysurprise a lot of people.(58)
朱迪,其中一些方法实际上会让很多人感到惊讶。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Well, and, in fact, a lot of-- you talk to a lot of people, and they say(59)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):嗯,事实上,很多人都在和很多人交谈,他们说

they want to know, what can be done aboutit and what can I, as an individual, do about(60)
他们想知道,对此可以做些什么,我个人可以做些什么

it?(61)
它?

AMNA NAWAZ: That's right.(62)
AMNA NAWAZ:是的。

I'm sure a lot of people have heard aboutcampaigns to end plastic straw use or bans(63)
我敢肯定,很多人都听说过有关终止使用或禁止使用塑料吸管的运动

on plastic bags.(64)
在塑料袋上。

We actually went to some cities and communitieswhere those are in place to see, what has(65)
实际上,我们去了一些城市和社区,在那里可以看到

actually been the impact?(66)
实际上受到了影响?

Does it make a difference at all?(67)
有什么不同吗?

Look, it took every part of society to getus where we are, to make the problem as big(68)
你看,社会的每一个环节都使我们处于现状,使问题变得更大

as it is today.(69)
就像今天一样。

So, despite our efforts to reuse and reduce,we're not yet making a dent.(70)
因此,尽管我们努力重复使用和减少资源,但我们还没有做出任何努力。

We use and make more plastic today than weever have before.(71)
我们今天使用和制造的塑料比以往任何时候都要多。

But experts say, look, if you want to makea difference today, start small and scale(72)
但是专家说,看,如果您想今天有所作为,那就从小规模做起

up.(73)
起来

So we actually visited with one family inCanada who is trying to do just that.(74)
因此,我们实际上拜访了加拿大一个试图做到这一点的家庭。

Take a look.(75)
看一看。

So, all reusable cups now.(76)
因此,现在所有可重复使用的杯子。

WOMAN: All reusable cups.(77)
女人:所有可重复使用的杯子。

AMNA NAWAZ: A cloth coffee filter?(78)
AMNA NAWAZ:布咖啡过滤器?

WOMAN: Yes.(79)
女人:是的。

And we get our coffees in a jar.(80)
我们把咖啡装在一个罐子里。

Reusable snack bags.(81)
可重复使用的小吃袋。

We have got silicone.(82)
我们有硅胶。

AMNA NAWAZ: OK.(83)
AMNA NAWAZ:好的。

What do you replace this with?(84)
用什么代替它?

WOMAN: We are replacing it with beeswax wax.(85)
女人:我们正在用蜂蜡蜡代替它。

It covers food so that it doesn't dry out.(86)
它覆盖食物,因此不会变干。

AMNA NAWAZ: How on earth do you get rid ofplastic in your bathroom?(87)
AMNA NAWAZ:在地球上,如何去除塑料?

WOMAN: Yes.(88)
女人:是的。

We're using a toothpaste in a jar.(89)
我们在罐子里用牙膏。

AMNA NAWAZ: And it's a glass jar.(90)
AMNA NAWAZ:这是一个玻璃罐。

WOMAN: And it's a glass jar.(91)
女人:这是一个玻璃罐。

AMNA NAWAZ: Right?(92)
AMNA NAWAZ:是吗?

You can wash it out, reuse it.(93)
您可以将其洗净,然后重复使用。

WOMAN: Got hand soap.(94)
女人:洗手液。

So now, instead of the plastic pumps, we havegot a glass jar.(95)
因此,现在有了塑料瓶,而不是塑料泵。

AMNA NAWAZ: So you have made little changeseverywhere you can.(96)
AMNA NAWAZ:因此,您在所有可能的地方都进行了很少的更改。

WOMAN: Little changes, yes.(97)
女人:没什么变化,是的。

AMNA NAWAZ: And, Judy, that's what peoplesay will make a difference right now if you(98)
AMNA NAWAZ:Judy,这就是人们所说的,如果您现在就可以有所作为

want to try something, lots of little changes.(99)
想尝试一些小变化。

I actually tried this, testing out my owngrocery shop.(100)
我实际上尝试过,测试了自己的杂货店。

It's not as hard as it looks, but especiallyto keep in mind, if folks go out Thanksgiving(101)
这并不像看起来那么难,但是特别是要记住,如果人们外出感恩节

shopping, you can start the make little changestoday.(102)
购物,您可以立即开始进行一些小的更改。

JUDY WOODRUFF: It does look challenging, though,to remember to do those little things.(103)
JUDY WOODRUFF:但是,记住做这些小事情确实具有挑战性。

AMNA NAWAZ: That's right.(104)
AMNA NAWAZ:是的。

(CROSSTALK)
JUDY WOODRUFF: Make a difference.(105)
JUDY WOODRUFF:有所作为。

All right, the program "The Plastic Problem"airs tomorrow night on PBS.(106)
好的,明天晚上在PBS播出节目“ The Plastic Problem”。

It's at 10:00 Eastern, 9:00 Central.(107)
现在是东部时间10:00,中部时间9:00。

Thank you, Amna.(108)
谢谢你,安娜。

AMNA NAWAZ: Thanks, Judy.(109)
AMNA NAWAZ:谢谢Judy。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org