Amy Walter and Susan Page on U.S. alone at G-7, North Korea summit politics
2018-06-11 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: We turn back to one of themost consequential overseas trips for a U.S.(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:我们回到美国最重要的海外旅行之一

president in recent memory, a historic summittonight half-a-world away, on the heels, as(2)
总统在最近的记忆中,今晚半个世界的历史性首脑会议,紧随其后

we heard earlier, of fallout from anothersummit with U.S. allies.(3)
我们早些时候听到与美国盟友举行的另一次峰会的影响。

John Yang begins there.(4)
约翰杨从那里开始。

JOHN YANG: Judy, that's topic A for PoliticsMonday.(5)
约翰杨:朱迪,这是星期一的政治议题。

To talk abut that and more, we're joined byAmy Walter, national editor of The Cook Political(6)
要谈论这一点以及更多,我们与The Cook Political的国家编辑Amy Walter一起合作

Report, and Susan Page, USA Today's Washingtonbureau chief.(7)
报道,以及今日美国华盛顿分社社长苏珊佩奇。

Susan, Amy, thanks so much for joining us.(8)
Susan,艾米,非常感谢加入我们。

As Judy said, it is the tale of two summitsthis weekend, sitting down tonight with the(9)
正如朱迪所说,这是周末举行的两场首脑会议的故事,今晚与会者坐下

-- one of the most longstanding adversariesof the United States.(10)
- 美国最长期的对手之一。

He met with some longstanding allies overthe weekend, Susan, and it didn't seem to(11)
他周末会见了一些长期的盟友,苏珊,似乎没有

go so well.(12)
走得很好。

What do you think happened?(13)
你认为发生了什么?

SUSAN PAGE, Washington Bureau Chief, USA Today:It didn't go well.(14)
“今日美国”华盛顿分会主席苏珊·佩奇:这不太好。

That iconic photograph that shows the PresidentTrump sitting surrounded by leaders, other(15)
那张标志性照片显示特朗普总统坐在其他领导人围拢的地方

leaders looking at him with great askance,it's like the worst Thanksgiving family dinner(16)
领导以极大的ask looking望着他,这就像感恩节家庭晚餐

ever, right?(17)
永远,对吗?

(LAUGHTER)
SUSAN PAGE: I mean, these are -- these havebeen our allies for 70 years.(18)
苏珊·佩奇:我的意思是,这些是70年来我们的盟友。

It's been part of -- since 1975, we have hadthe global economic system held together by(19)
这是它的一部分 - 自1975年以来,我们已经把全球经济体系统一起来了

these G7, G8 meetings.(20)
这些G7,G8会议。

And this was -- basically, the U.S. role wasblown up by President Trump.(21)
而这基本上是美国总统特朗普吹起的美国角色。

President Trump is not interested, I think,in having these alliances, having the U.S.(22)
我认为,特朗普总统对拥有美国这些联盟并不感兴趣

be the first among equals, the leader of them.(23)
成为平等中的第一人,他们的领袖。

Instead, we see the alliance united, and wesee the United States standing basically alone.(24)
相反,我们看到联盟团结一致,而且我们看到美国基本独立。

AMY WALTER, The Cook Political Report: Andyet this is exactly what then Canadian Trump(25)
AMY WALTER,库克政治报告:然而,这正是加拿大特朗普

said he was going to do as president.(26)
表示他将担任总统。

I alone can fix this.(27)
我可以解决这个问题。

We are not going to do things the way thatwe used to.(28)
我们不会像过去那样去做事情。

The system isn't working anymore.(29)
系统不再工作。

This -- whether they are alliances, whetherit is our trading system, it's not working.(30)
这 - 无论他们是联盟,无论是我们的交易系统,它都无法正常工作。

It's not working for a bunch of people inthis country.(31)
这不适合这个国家的一群人。

You elected me to shake it up.(32)
你选我来改变它。

And that is exactly what I am going to do.(33)
这正是我要做的。

I also think what is fascinating to see isthe role that Congress is, or in this case(34)
我还认为,看到国会的作用是什么,或者在这种情况下

is not, playing in issues like trade and potentially-- we will see what comes out of North Korea(35)
不是,在贸易和潜在问题上发挥作用 - 我们会看到来自朝鲜的东西

-- but if there is a final deal there, willCongress get a say, or will we be continuing(36)
- 但如果在那里达成最终协议,国会是否会有发言权,还是会继续

what we saw a lot under the Obama administration,which is sort of an executive move, right,(37)
我们在奥巴马政府下看到了很多,这是一种行政举措,对,

the executive makes policy, whether it isTPP or Paris, the climate accord, or the Iran(38)
行政人员制定政策,无论是TPP还是巴黎,气候协议还是伊朗

deal, that Congress doesn't codify?(39)
交易,国会不编纂?

And so we have these policies that are inplace for one president, only for them to(40)
因此,我们制定了一个总统的这些政策,只为他们提供

get overturned, potentially, when the newpresident comes in place.(41)
有可能在新总统到位时被推翻。

I don't think that is a really great way todo policy.(42)
我不认为这是一个很好的做政策的方法。

And members of Congress can do something,and thus far they haven't done anything.(43)
国会议员可以做些事情,迄今为止他们还没有做任何事情。

JOHN YANG: Well, that's sort of the backdropas the president prepared and went into this(44)
杨约翰:那么,总统准备并进入这个阶段就是这种情况

meeting tonight.(45)
今晚会议。

And he tweeted about it earlier.(46)
他在之前发布了推文。

He said: "The fact that I'm having a meetingis a major loss for the U.S., say the haters(47)
他说:“我开会的事实对美国来说是一个重大损失,仇恨者说

and losers.(48)
和失败者。

We have our hostages, testing, research andall missile launches have stopped.(49)
我们有人质,测试,研究和所有导弹发射已经停止。

And these pundits who called me wrong fromthe beginning have nothing else they can say.(50)
那些从一开始就把我误称为错误的专家们没有别的可以说的。

We will be fine."(51)
我们会没事的。“

Well, pundit Susan Page, what...(52)
那么,评论家苏珊佩奇呢,......

(LAUGHTER)
JOHN YANG: What is the president doing here,do you think?(53)
杨约翰:总统在这里做什么,你觉得呢?

SUSAN PAGE: Well, I think the president issaying it's a victory just to have the meeting.(54)
苏珊:好的,我认为总统说这是会议的胜利。

And I think a lot of Americans would say betterto have a meeting talking to an adversary(55)
而且我认为很多美国人会说和一个对手会面谈话会更好

than threatening one another with nuclearweapons.(56)
比用核武器相互威胁。

I think a lot of American would agree withthat.(57)
我想很多美国人会同意这一点。

But you also want to look at what you getout of the meeting and what you gave up to(58)
但你也想看看你从会议中得到什么,以及你放弃了什么

hold the meeting.(59)
举行会议。

And the fact is, for Kim, this is also a bigvictory just to have the meeting.(60)
而事实是,对金来说,这次会议也是一次重大胜利。

It is a -- it makes his regime, this terrible,brutal regime that has been an outlaw for(61)
这是一个 - 它使他的政权,这个可怕的,残酷的政权,这是一个非法的政权

so long, it gives him legitimacy and standingthat he didn't have before.(62)
这么长时间,它给了他以前没有的合法性和地位。

And so that has been part of the calculations.(63)
这是计算的一部分。

That has been one of the reasons previousAmerican presidents have refused to give him(64)
这是以前美国总统拒绝给他的原因之一

this prize.(65)
这个奖。

AMY WALTER: And it is also interesting.(66)
AMY WALTER:这也很有趣。

I was looking through a poll that FOX Newscame out with last week.(67)
我正在通过FOX新闻上周发布的一项民意调查。

And they asked people who approved of thepresident or disapproved of the president(68)
他们问那些批准总统或不批准总统的人

why it is -- give me your number one reasonwhy you do that.(69)
为什么是这样 - 给我你的第一个理由,你为什么这样做。

For people who already approve of the president,a quarter of them said, not surprisingly,(70)
对于已经批准总统的人来说,其中四分之一的人说,毫不奇怪,

it's because of the economy and jobs.(71)
这是因为经济和就业。

And only 4 percent noted peace with NorthKorea or foreign policy.(72)
只有4%的人认为朝鲜和外交政策是和平的。

For people who disapprove -- again, you arenot going to be surprised -- it's his temperament,(73)
对于不赞成的人 - 再次,你不会感到惊讶 - 这是他的气质,

it's his divisiveness.(74)
这是他的分裂。

And so I think it gets kind of to the heartof what is going on in both of what we are(75)
因此,我认为这对我们两个人所发生的事情来说都是很重要的

saying from that tweet and what we saw atthe G7, which is the things that his base(76)
从推文和我们在七国集团看到的,这是他的基地

likes to see are exactly the things that peoplewho already dislike him dislike him really(77)
喜欢看到的是那些已经不喜欢他的人真正不喜欢他的东西

about, right?(78)
差不多?

That is what they don't like about him.(79)
这是他们不喜欢他的原因。

It is not the policy as much as the way heis going about it.(80)
这不像他正在做的那样多。

JOHN YANG: And succeed or fail, it is notgoing to make much difference to either his(81)
杨约翰:成功或失败,对他的任何一点都没有太大的影响

supporters or haters?(82)
支持者还是仇敌?

AMY WALTER: That's right.(83)
AMY WALTER:是的。

That's right.(84)
那就对了。

So, depending on what success is, I thinkif you already support this president, whatever(85)
所以,取决于成功是什么,我认为如果你已经支持这位总统,无论如何

he is doing, you are going to find successin that.(86)
他正在做,你会在那里找到成功。

If you don't like this president, unless thereis something really dramatic that occurs,(87)
如果你不喜欢这位总统,除非发生了真正的戏剧性事件,

it is not going to change your opinion ofthis president.(88)
这不会改变你对这位总统的看法。

SUSAN PAGE: Although, I think with summits-- we have found, with summits in the past,(89)
苏珊:虽然我认为在峰会上 - 我们发现,在过去的峰会上,

that you don't know right away whether thatis a success or a failure.(90)
你不知道这是成功还是失败。

AMY WALTER: That's right.(91)
AMY WALTER:是的。

SUSAN PAGE: And there has been successes.(92)
苏珊:有一些成功的例子。

The Iceland summit, 1986, that looked likea failure.(93)
1986年的冰岛首脑会议,看起来像是失败。

And with the benefit of some hindsight, itwas in fact productive in terms of U.S.-Soviet(94)
从事后看来,从美苏的角度来看,事实上是有成效的

relations.(95)
关系。

But you look at JFK and Khrushchev in 1961,that helped contribute to the Cuban Missile(96)
但是你在1961年看过肯尼迪和赫鲁晓夫,这有助于古巴的导弹

Crisis.(97)
危机。

So, we won't be able to make a snap judgmenttoday, tomorrow, next week about the summit.(98)
因此,我们将无法在下周的明天和明天就这次峰会做出快速判断。

JOHN YANG: Quickly, I want to get to the U.S.Supreme Court decision today.(99)
杨约翰:很快,我想今天得到美国最高法院的判决。

They upheld Ohio's laws for purging voterrolls, some of the strictest in the nation.(100)
他们支持俄亥俄州清除选民名册,这是全国最严格的选民名单。

Why is this such a political hot button, Susan?(101)
为什么这个这样的政治热门按钮,苏珊?

SUSAN PAGE: Oh, because it helps Republicansand hurts Democrats.(102)
苏珊:哦,因为它有助于共和党人并伤害民主党人。

It is going to disproportionate affect youngpeople, poor people, minorities who are less(103)
它将不成比例地影响年轻人,穷人,少数族裔

likely to turn out to vote, less likely torespond maybe to a mail solicitation.(104)
可能会投票,不太可能回应邮件招揽。

And it's going to encourage -- Ohio is a swingstate.(105)
它会鼓励 - 俄亥俄州是一个摇摆州。

It's going to encourage other states to lookat similar laws.(106)
这将鼓励其他国家审视类似的法律。

AMY WALTER: Yes.(107)
AMY WALTER:是的。

And a Reuters study found just that, thatthe places where the voters had been struck(108)
路透社的一项研究发现,选民遭到袭击的地方就是这样

from the rolls were -- there more of thosein Democratic-leaning neighborhoods than in(109)
从民意调查中得知 - 在那些民主党倾向的居民区比那些更多

Republican-leaning neighborhoods.(110)
共和党倾斜的街区。

And, not surprisingly, a lot of those werein neighborhoods that were poorer or heavily(111)
而且,毫不奇怪,其中很多人都在贫穷或严重的社区

African-American.(112)
非裔美国人。

JOHN YANG: Amy Walter, Susan Page, we havegot to leave it there.(113)
JOHN YANG:Amy Walter,Susan Page,我们必须离开它。

Thanks so much.(114)
非常感谢。

AMY WALTER: You're welcome.(115)
AMY WALTER:不客气。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org