Monday-Morning Quarterbacking: Expressions of Looking Back
2016-11-26 21:00:34


Now, the VOA Learning English program Words and Their Stories.(1)
现在,美国之音慢速英语词汇掌故节目。

Each week we take a closer look at words and expressions commonly used in American English.(2)
每周我们仔细看看在美国英语中常用的词语典故。

We explain how to use them in conversation. We also explore their origins and histories. For that part, we need to look back.(3)
我们解释如何在谈话中使用它们。我们也探讨它们的起源和历史。对后者来说,我们需要回头看。

And that is the topic of today’s program: looking back.(4)
And that is the topic of today’s program:回望。

When you look back you are remembering the past. The past is where we keep our memories, our mistakes and our successes.(5)
当你回首往事的回忆往事。过去是我们保持我们的记忆,我们的错误,我们的成功。

We begin with an expression about the past: What is old is new again.(6)
We begin with an expression about the past:什么是老又是新的。

This expression means that trends popular decades ago often become popular again.(7)
这个短语的意思,趋势流行几十年前经常成为流行的又。

Younger generations “rediscover” past trends and make them new again.(8)
年轻的一代"重新发现"过去的趋势和再新。

This expression brings us to a word that is very popular today – retro.(9)
此表达式为我们带来了非常流行的今天 — — 复古的一句话。

Retro describes clothes, furniture, music and pop culture from an earlier time that are in fashion again.(10)
复古描述衣服、 家具、 音乐和时尚又较早时的流行文化。

Retro is Latin for “back,” “behind” or “backward.”(11)
复古是拉丁语中"后退,""后面"或"落后"。

Here is a short dialogue using the word “retro.”(12)
这里是简短的对话,使用 word 的"复古"。

Wow! I love the way you’ve decorated your living room. It looks like the 1960s in here.(13)
哇 !我爱你来装饰你的客厅里的方式。在这里,它看起来像 20 世纪 60 年代。

The furniture is so retro! Is that a real turntable? And are those actual albums?!(14)
家具是如此复古 !那是一个真正的转盘吗?而是那些实际的专辑?

Yep. I brought them from my parents’ house. They were up in the attic just collecting dust.(15)
是啊。我从我父母的房子带来了他们。他们在阁楼里只收集灰尘了。

I can’t believe people used to listen to music with this equipment. It’s so … complicated.(16)
我不能相信人们用来听音乐与此设备。它是如此......复杂。

I know. But I love the retro look and they actually sound great. Turn it up!(17)
我知道。但我喜欢这种复古和他们实际上听起来很好。把它 !

“I think to myself what a wonderful world.”(18)
"我认为对自己多么美好的世界。

(Louis Armstrong sings “What a Wonderful World.”)
“Retro” is also the first part of another useful word in American English: retrospect.(19)
"复古"也是另一种有用的单词,在美国英语中的第一部分︰ 回顾。

“To retrospect” is to review or consider past events.(20)
"回顾"是审查或考虑过去的事件。

A retrospective is a display of an artist’s entire body of work.(21)
回顾会议是工作的显示艺术家的整个身体。

And in conversation, when you want to say that you have been thinking about the past, you can begin with “in retrospect.”(22)
在谈话中,当你想要说,你一直在思考过去,你可以开始与"在回顾"。

For example, “In retrospect, I should’ve saved more money for my house.(23)
例如,"现在回想起来,我应该节省了更多的钱为我的房子。

Now, all I can afford is a very small condo.” Or, “In retrospect, he should’ve studied something different at college.(24)
现在,我能负担起是非常小的公寓。或者,"现在回想起来,他应该已经研究了不同大学的东西。

It is not easy to find a well-paying job in ancient basket weaving.”(25)
它是不容易找到一份高薪的工作,在古代篮子编织。

When we look back at past events, we are also using our hindsight.(26)
当我们回首往事时,我们还利用我们后知后觉。

Hindsight is knowledge and understanding we have about an event only after it has happened.(27)
事后是知识和理解我们有关于事件只有在它发生之后。

We can say “in hindsight” to express that we should have known something was going to happen.(28)
我们可以说"事后诸葛亮"到我们应该知道的东西会发生的快递。

For example, “In hindsight, I should have known that the party was going to be terrible.(29)
例如,"事后看来,我应该知道聚会的目的要可怕。

Everyone there had been working on the losing political campaign. It was no party at all. It was more like a funeral!”(30)
那里的每个人都一直在失去政治运动。根本不是一个政党。它是更像是一场葬礼 !

That example brings us to another “looking back” expression: Hindsight is 20/20.(31)
这个例子给我们带来另一种"回头看"表达︰ 事后是 20/20。

The saying may only be three words. But it is loaded with meaning.(32)
这句话可能只是三个字。但它满载的意思。

First, let’s explain 20/20. If your eyesight is perfect, you have 20/20 vision.(33)
首先,让我们解释 20/20。如果你的视力是完美的你有视力。

So, if something has already happened you can, of course, see it clearly.(34)
所以,如果事情已经发生了,当然,你可以清楚地看到它。

We often say “hindsight is 20/20” in a sarcastic way.(35)
我们常说"后知后觉是 20/20"讽刺的方式。

It means a person is unfairly judging the wisdom of someone else’s decision using information that was only available later.(36)
它是指一个人不公平地判断别人的决定使用后来只可用的信息是明智。

You can also use this expression in a kind way.(37)
你还可以使用此表达式的一种方法。

For example, “If I had known that I love teaching English so much, I would have started sooner. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.”(38)
例如,"如果我早知道,我爱英语教学这么多,我会开始的更早。哦好,事后是 20/20."

Used this way, you can forgive yourself or others for a misguided decision in the past.(39)
用这种方式,你能原谅自己或他人在过去误导性的决定。

We have another expression with a similar meaning: Monday-morning quarterbacking.(40)
We have another expression with a similar meaning:星期一早上四分卫。

To understand this expression, you first need to know that during American football season many American football teams play on Sundays.(41)
要理解这个表达式,你首先需要知道,在美式足球赛季期间许多美国橄榄球队在星期天。

So, when Monday morning around, sports commentators and football fans discuss what happened the day before.(42)
所以,当周一早上左右,体育评论员和球迷讨论什么发生的前一天。

You also need to know the job of the quarterback.(43)
你还需要了解工作的四分卫。

The quarterback leads the team. He talks to the team on the field and decides what actions the players will take to win the game.(44)
四分卫带领团队。他说话场上团队并决定哪些行动的玩家将赢得这场比赛。

So, Monday-morning quarterbacks are people who are not actually quarterbacks – they are not even players.(45)
所以,星期一早上四分卫是不是其实四分卫的人 — — 他们不是连的球员。

But after the game is over, they say what the team have done, especially if the team lost.(46)
但比赛结束后,他们说的团队做了什么,尤其是如果团队就输了。

In other words, Monday-morning quarterbacks analyze the mistakes others have made after everyone knows the results.(47)
换句话说,周一早上四分卫分析别人已经的犯后每个人都知道结果。

Monday-morning quarterbacks have a bad reputation because they present themselves as having better solutions,(48)
星期一早上四分卫有一个坏名声,因为他们把自己说成有更好的解决方案,

even though it is impossible to know what they would have done in the same situation.(49)
即使它是不可能知道他们会怎么做在同样的情况。

The term “Monday-morning quarterbacking” is not limited to American football, or even sports.(50)
"周一早上马后炮"一词并不局限于美式足球或即便是体育。

We use this expression after any competition, such as military battles or political elections.(51)
我们使用此表达式后任何竞争,如军事战斗或政治选举。

After the 2016 presidential election in the United States, talking heads, or commentators, filled the news with their Monday-morning quarterbacking.(52)
在 2016 年后总统大选的美国,说话的头或评论员,充满了与他们周一早上四分卫新闻。

They debated about which side lost or won and why.(53)
他们争论哪一方输或赢取和为什么。

However, while the campaigns were actually happening, many of these same commentators said things that were quite different.(54)
然而,虽然运动真的正在发生,很多这些相同的评论员说︰ 有很大不同的东西。

In retrospect, perhaps the public should not have paid so much attention to them.(55)
现在回想起来,也许公众应该不付出太多的注意力。

But then again, hindsight is 20/20.(56)
但话说回来,事后是 20/20。

And that brings us to the end of this Words and Their Stories.(57)
,给我们带来的这个单词和他们的故事结束。

I’m Anna Matteo.(58)
我是安娜利玛窦。


All Articles fetched from Voice of America RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds and copyrighted by voanews.com