Parliament wants to delay Brexit, as May vows 3rd vote on proposed deal
2019-03-14 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: We return to the politicalcrisis in the United Kingdom, as it grapples(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:我们回到英国的政治危机中,因为它正在挣扎

with how to leave the European Union.(2)
如何离开欧盟。

Foreign affairs correspondent Nick Schifrinbrings us the latest.(3)
外交记者Nick Schifrin给我们带来了最新消息。

NICK SCHIFRIN: This week, for the second time,the British Parliament rejected the agreement(4)
尼克·施菲林:本周,英国议会第二次拒绝了该协议

that Prime Minister Theresa May negotiatedwith the European Union to leave the E.U.(5)
特蕾莎·梅总理与欧盟谈判离开欧盟

Parliament doesn't have an alternative, butit has rejected the possibility of leaving(6)
议会没有其他选择,但它拒绝了离开的可能性

without a deal, and, today, lawmakers votedto delay Brexit altogether.(7)
没有达成协议,今天,立法者投票决定完全推迟脱欧。

To help walk us through what happened todayand what's likely to happen next, we turn(8)
为了帮助我们了解今天发生的事情以及接下来可能发生的事情,我们转向

to Peter Spiegel, the news editor at The FinancialTimes, who joins me from London.(9)
英国“金融时报”的新闻编辑彼得·斯皮格尔(Peter Spiegel)从伦敦加入我。

Peter Spiegel, thanks for being on the "NewsHour."(10)
Peter Spiegel,感谢您加入“NewsHour”。

Does this extension give the prime ministera lifeline, and will threat E.U. grant it?(11)
这种延伸是否会给总理一条生命线,威胁欧盟会给予它吗?

PETER SPIEGEL, The Financial Times: Well,let me take the second part first.(12)
英国“金融时报”PETER SPIEGEL:好的,让我先介绍第二部分。

It is not guaranteed the E.U. will grant it.(13)
欧盟不会保证给予它。

All 27 countries, the other remaining membersof the E.U., have to approve this.(14)
所有27个国家,欧盟其他成员国都必须批准这一点。

This message that we have been getting outof Brussels thus far has been, this will be(15)
到目前为止,我们已经离开布鲁塞尔的这条消息一直是这样的

pro forma.(16)
形式。

But you occasionally hear the French in particular,but also the Spanish, saying, look, if you(17)
但你偶尔会听到法语,还有西班牙语,说,看,如果你

guys are going to ask for an extension, whatare you going use the extension for?(18)
伙计们会要求延期,您要使用的扩展名是什么?

You have to let us know that you're goingto come to some resolution, which clearly(19)
你必须让我们知道你会得到一些明确的解决方案

at this point the Brits can't do.(20)
此时英国人无法做到。

Now, is this a lifeline?(21)
现在,这是一条生命线吗?

Yes and no.(22)
是的,不是。

I mean, in the one -- on the one hand, thishas been for two years Theresa May has been(23)
我的意思是,在一方面 - 一方面,这已经是Theresa May的两年了

trying to get a deal through Parliament.(24)
试图通过议会达成协议。

She's negotiated for two years.(25)
她谈了两年。

And we're two weeks away, and she still can'tdo it.(26)
我们离开了两个星期,她仍然无法做到。

The delay will allow her at least anothercouple of months to try to keep pounding her(27)
延迟将允许她至少再过几个月试图继续冲她

head against the wall.(28)
靠在墙上。

But there's no sign that this is -- anyone'smoving anywhere.(29)
但没有迹象表明这是 - 任何人都在移动任何地方。

So, the question is, is it going to be a shortextension, where she tries to get her deal(30)
所以,问题是,这是一个短暂的延伸,她试图得到她的交易

done in the next month or two?(31)
在接下来的一两个月内完成?

Or is this a long extension, when actuallythe whole question whether British leaves(32)
或者这是一个很长的延伸,实际上是英国人离开的整个问题

at all becomes -- becomes into play?(33)
一切都变成了 - 变成了游戏?

And I think that's the question we're goingto be facing next week, when there's another(34)
而且我认为这是我们下周要面对的问题,那时还有另一个问题

vote in Parliament on this bill.(35)
议会就这项法案投票。

NICK SCHIFRIN: So the vote today was to extenduntil June the 30th, and that date is important(36)
NICK SCHIFRIN:所以今天的投票将延长到6月30日,那个日期很重要

because it's right before the next EuropeanParliament session begins.(37)
因为它在下一届欧洲议会会议开始之前就已经开始了。

What could lead to the delay being longer?(38)
什么可能导致延迟更长?

PETER SPIEGEL: Well, look, the big announcementthis week also was that she's going to try(39)
PETER SPIEGEL:嗯,看,本周的重大声明也是她要尝试的

for a third time to bring her plan to Parliament.(40)
第三次将她的计划提交议会。

It's probably going to be next Tuesday.(41)
它可能会在下周二。

And she has said to the members of Parliament,look, you have got a choice.(42)
她对国会议员说,看,你有一个选择。

You can either back my bill in this thirdvote, in which case we will need a short technical(43)
您可以在第三次投票中支持我的账单,在这种情况下,我们需要一个简短的技术

extension, probably until when the Europeanelections happen, which is May 23.(44)
延长,可能直到欧洲大选发生,即5月23日。

We will push it through Parliament.(45)
我们将通过议会推动它。

We will get it ratified.(46)
我们会批准它。

We will push all the legislation through,and that will be done and dusted.(47)
我们将推动所有立法通过,并将完成并粉碎。

Or we could be indefinite.(48)
或者我们可以无限期。

We could be a years stuck in an extension,because, as you said, the European elections(49)
我们可能会延期多年,因为正如你所说,欧洲选举

are in May.(50)
五月。

The European Parliament sits in July.(51)
欧洲议会将于7月举行。

Then they have to redo the European Commission,because they come to a new term.(52)
然后他们必须重做欧盟委员会,因为他们来到了一个新的名词。

Every five years, they have got to reappointthe European Commission.(53)
每五年,他们必须重新任命欧盟委员会。

So, Britain suddenly, as an ongoing memberof the E.U., has to participate in all these(54)
因此,作为欧盟的持续成员,英国突然必须参与所有这些活动

things.(55)
的东西。

And the chances of actually Theresa May hangingaround that long as prime minister are very(56)
实际上特里萨·梅(Theresa May)在总理职位上徘徊的可能性非常大

slim.(57)
瘦。

So either you get a very short and sweet andthe new -- the deal goes through and Britain(58)
所以要么你得到一个非常短暂和甜蜜的新的 - 交易通过和英国

leaves in late May, or, boy, it goes haywire,and we have no idea where this is going to(59)
在5月下旬离开,或者,男孩,它变得混乱,我们不知道这是怎么回事

end.(60)
结束。

NICK SCHIFRIN: And no idea where this couldend.(61)
NICK SCHIFRIN:不知道这可能结束的地方。

Could that mean that we'd get either no Brexitat all or, as you referred to earlier, a second(62)
这是否意味着我们要么根本没有英国退欧,要么就像你之前提到的那样

referendum?(63)
公投?

PETER SPIEGEL: Well, look I mean, what youhear when you talk to Brussels -- I spent(64)
PETER SPIEGEL:嗯,看,我的意思是,当你和布鲁塞尔交谈时你听到了什么 - 我花了

six years there -- what you hear from theE.U. is the one thing that they'd be willing(65)
那里六年 - 你从欧盟听到的是他们愿意做的一件事

to sit back and wait for is some sort of democraticevent.(66)
坐下来等待是一种民主的事件。

Is it a second referendum, where the Britishpeople are asked yet again, is it this kind(67)
这是第二次公投,英国人再次被问到,是不是这样

of Brexit you want, is that kind of Brexityou want, or do you want to stay in at this(68)
你想要的脱欧,是你想要的那种脱欧,还是你想留在这里

point?(69)
点?

Or you have a general election.(70)
或者你有大选。

I mean, the fact the matter is, Theresa Mayno longer has a majority in Parliament.(71)
我的意思是,事实是,Theresa May在议会中不再拥有多数席位。

She's relying on a small Northern Irelandparty to stay in government.(72)
她依靠一个小型的北爱尔兰政党留在政府。

You have a Labor Party which is coming aroundslowly, but surely, to backing a second referendum.(73)
你有一个工党,它正在缓慢地,但肯定地,支持第二次公投。

So why not bring it to the people?(74)
那么为什么不把它带给人们呢?

You have a Brexit party in the Tory party,and you have what has increasingly become(75)
你们在托利党中有一个脱欧派对,你拥有越来越多的东西

a second referendum party in the Labor Party.(76)
工党的第二次公民投票。

And I think you're beginning to hear a lotof rumbling in Brussels that, if you guys(77)
如果你们这些人,我认为你们在布鲁塞尔开始听到很多隆隆声

can't solve this in Parliament, the best solutionis going to be some sort of democratic event,(78)
在议会中无法解决这个问题,最好的解决方案是某种民主事件,

again, second referendum or general election.(79)
再次,第二次公投或大选。

NICK SCHIFRIN: Peter Spiegel, news editorof The Financial Times, thank you very much.(80)
NICK SCHIFRIN:英国“金融时报”新闻编辑Peter Spiegel非常感谢你。

PETER SPIEGEL: My pleasure.(81)
PETER SPIEGEL:我很高兴。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org