Rep. Jayapal on 'damning' impeachment evidence and what happens next
2019-11-19 00:00:00


AMNA NAWAZ: And now we get a view from theother side of the aisle and the majority on(1)
AMNA NAWAZ:现在我们可以从过道的另一侧看到风景,

the Judiciary Committee, Representative PramilaJayapal, a Democrat from the state of Washington.(2)
司法委员会代表普米拉·贾亚帕尔(Pramila Jayapal),华盛顿州的一名民主党人。

Congresswoman, welcome back to the "NewsHour."(3)
女议员,欢迎回到“新闻时报”。

And thank you for making the time today.(4)
并感谢您抽出宝贵的时间。

I want to ask you about what several witnesseshave testified to.(5)
我想问一下几个证人作证的情况。

The words they have used so far have beenimproper or inappropriate with regards to(6)
到目前为止,他们使用的词语在以下方面不恰当或不合适

the president's behavior or interaction, specificallyon that July 25 call.(7)
总统的行为或互动,特别是在7月25日的电话会议上。

There is a difference between those wordsand impeachable.(8)
这些词和可弹each词之间是有区别的。

Have you seen anything so far that rises tothe level of an impeachable offense?(9)
到目前为止,您是否看到过任何可弹each的罪行?

REP.(10)
代表

PRAMILA JAYAPAL (D-WA): Well, I think whatreally stuns me is that my Republican colleagues(11)
PRAMILA JAYAPAL(D-WA):恩,我认为真正令我惊讶的是我的共和党同事

would think that a president's actions, bribinga foreign government to interfere in our elections(12)
会认为总统的行为,贿赂外国政府以干预我们的选举

by digging up dirt on a political rival, andwithholding aid that Congress appropriated(13)
通过在政治对手身上挖土,并扣留国会拨款的援助

-- that's taxpayer money, by the way, thatCongress appropriated to Ukraine.(14)
-顺便说一下,那是国会拨给乌克兰的纳税人的钱。

I just can't believe that my Republican colleaguesare arguing that that is not a high crime(15)
我简直不敢相信我的共和党同事在争论那不是高罪

and misdemeanor.(16)
和轻罪。

I mean, bribery is clearly laid out.(17)
我的意思是,贿赂显然已经摆好了。

But it is disturbing to me to see the lengthsto which the Republicans are standing up for(18)
但是,看到共和党人坚持不懈地坚持不懈,我感到不安

this president and putting party over country.(19)
这位总统和推特派对国家。

That is really difficult for me to understand,as somebody that swore an oath to uphold and(20)
我确实很难理解,因为有人发誓要坚持并

defend the Constitution, as did my Republicancolleagues.(21)
和我的共和党同事一样捍卫宪法。

I am -- I think it's a sad day that they canlisten to all of this testimony, which provides(22)
我-我认为他们可以听取所有这些证词,这真是令人难过的一天,

corroborating evidence over and over and overagain, from people who were directly on that(23)
直接来自那个人的一遍又一遍的确凿证据

call with President Trump -- that's what weheard today -- but, again, over and over evidence(24)
与特朗普总统通话-这就是我们今天所听到的-但同样,证据不断

that shows that the president has betrayednational security and violated our Constitution.(25)
这表明总统背叛了国家安全并违反了我们的宪法。

AMNA NAWAZ: Congresswoman, you mentioned theword bribery.(26)
AMNA NAWAZ:女议员,您提到过贿赂一词。

Speaker Pelosi last week had said -- quote-- "The devastating testimony corroborated(27)
议长佩洛西上周曾表示-引用-“毁灭性的证词得到了佐证

evidence of bribery uncovered in the inquiry."(28)
调查发现有贿赂证据。”

Is it a bribery charge with which you planto move forward?(29)
您打算继续行贿吗?

REP.(30)
代表

PRAMILA JAYAPAL: Well, we don't know exactlywhat the charges will be.(31)
PRAMILA JAYAPAL:好的,我们不知道要收费多少。

As you know, I'm on the Judiciary Committee.(32)
如您所知,我在司法委员会任职。

Our role now is to wait and get the reportsfrom the different committees.(33)
我们现在的职责是等待并从不同的委员会获得报告。

We will have due process.(34)
我们将有正当程序。

We will have -- the president's counsel willbe able to testify, if he wants to do so.(35)
如果总统愿意,我们将有-总统的律师可以作证。

And then we will look at all of that on theJudiciary Committee, and we will decide if(36)
然后,我们将在司法委员会中研究所有这些内容,并决定是否

we are going forward with impeachment articles.(37)
我们将继续进行弹each文章。

And we will then look at what those articleswill be.(38)
然后,我们将看看这些文章将是什么。

I will just tell you that the evidence isdamning.(39)
我只是告诉你,证据是可恶的。

But the thing that is most damning is thetestimony from the earliest witness, the first(40)
但最可恶的是最早的证人,第一个证人的证词

witness to testify to the American people.(41)
见证向美国人民作证。

And that was Donald Trump, who he himselfsaid: This is what I did.(42)
那就是唐纳德·特朗普,他本人说过:这就是我所做的。

I withheld aid.(43)
我没有提供援助。

I went and asked for an investigation, a publicinvestigation, from a very fragile country.(44)
我去了一个非常脆弱的国家,要求进行调查,公开调查。

Let's not forget the situation that Ukraineis in and what this actually does to our leadership(45)
我们不要忘记乌克兰所处的局势以及这实际上对我们的领导层有何影响

role in the world, when you have the mostpowerful country essentially saying, I'm not(46)
在世界上扮演的角色,当你拥有最强大的国家时,我基本上不是在说

going to give you the aid you need, much lessthe meeting at the White House, unless you(47)
将为您提供所需的帮助,更不用说在白宫举行的会议了,除非您

agree to investigate my political rival.(48)
同意调查我的政治对手。

That should be untenable for every Democratand every Republican.(49)
对于每个民主党人和每个共和党人来说,这都是站不住脚的。

AMNA NAWAZ: Congresswoman, let me ask youabout something else.(50)
AMNA NAWAZ:女议员,让我问您其他问题。

Now the House is investigating whether ornot President Trump lied to special counsel(51)
现在众议院正在调查特朗普总统是否向特别顾问撒谎

Robert Mueller during the Russia investigation.(52)
罗伯特·穆勒(Robert Mueller)在俄罗斯调查期间。

Could what is uncovered in that probe eventuallybecome part of the impeachment proceedings(53)
该调查中发现的内容最终能否成为弹each程序的一部分

as well?(54)
也一样

REP.(55)
代表

PRAMILA JAYAPAL: Everything is on the table,is what I would say to that.(56)
PRAMILA JAYAPAL:一切都摆在桌上,这就是我要说的。

We are trying to make sure we get all thefacts that we need.(57)
我们正在努力确保我们获得所需的所有事实。

At the same time, we understand that speedis of the essence, and we are going to take(58)
同时,我们了解速度至关重要,我们将采取

the things that are most unfolding in frontof us.(59)
摆在我们眼前的事情。

Now, there is evidence that was presentedto us by Robert Mueller.(60)
现在,罗伯特·穆勒(Robert Mueller)向我们提供了证据。

In fact, I questioned Robert Mueller directlyon the charges within the Mueller report of(61)
实际上,我直接向罗伯特·穆勒(Robert Mueller)询问了穆勒(Mueller)报告中的指控

witness intimidation and witness tampering.(62)
证人的恐吓和证人的篡改。

Let's not forget that these things that we'reseeing in Ukraine are part of a pattern, continual(63)
我们不要忘记,我们在乌克兰看到的这些东西是一种持续不断的模式的一部分

pattern of the president acting in a certainway.(64)
总统以某种方式行事的模式。

Certainly, witness intimidation, lying, obstructionof Congress, obstruction of justice, these(65)
当然,证人的恐吓,说谎,妨碍国会,妨碍司法,这些

are all patterns of this president.(66)
是这位总统的所有模式。

AMNA NAWAZ: But let me ask you about -- bybroadening that, by saying everything is on(67)
AMNA NAWAZ:但是,我想问您一下-通过扩大范围,说一切都在进行

the table, do you worry it plays into theaccusation that this is a witch-hunt, that(68)
在桌子上,你担心它会被指控为狩猎女巫吗?

you will -- you will just do whatever youcan to bring a charge eventually?(69)
您会-您将尽一切可能最终收取费用?

REP.(70)
代表

PRAMILA JAYAPAL: No.(71)
PRAMILA JAYAPAL:不。

I mean, when I say everything is on the table,I'm saying we haven't prejudged any outcomes(72)
我的意思是,当我说所有事情都摆在桌面上时,我是说我们尚未预先判断任何结果

here.(73)
这里。

What is important is the facts and the truth.(74)
重要的是事实和事实。

That is what these witnesses have been about.(75)
这些见证人就是这样。

We are waiting in Judiciary to get the informationfrom the committees.(76)
我们正在司法机构中等待从委员会中获取信息。

We will have due process.(77)
我们将有正当程序。

But I just have to tell you that the -- andI will say that I think the ultimate article,(78)
但是,我只需要告诉您-我想说的是我的最终文章,

should there be any, will be narrow and targeted,because we understand that this is about the(79)
如果有的话,将会狭and而有针对性,因为我们知道这是关于

Constitution, one thing and one thing only.(80)
宪法,只有一件事和一件事。

It's not about whether we like the president'spolicies.(81)
这与我们是否喜欢总统的政策无关。

It's not about whether we -- you know, weagree with him or disagree with them.(82)
这不是关于我们-您是否知道,我们同意他还是不同意他们。

It is about the Constitution and whether hehas betrayed the Constitution.(83)
关于宪法以及他是否背叛了宪法。

And so that is what we will be focusing on.(84)
这就是我们将要重点关注的。

AMNA NAWAZ: Congresswoman, you have promiseddue process.(85)
AMNA NAWAZ:国会女议员,您已承诺应有适当程序。

You have always said -- you have also saidthe time is of the essence.(86)
您一直在说-您还说过时间至关重要。

So, you have got two more days of public hearingsthis week, five more witnesses.(87)
因此,本周您将有两天的公开听证会,还有五名目击者。

Then what?(88)
那呢

What is the timeline moving forward?(89)
前进的时间表是什么?

When do you hope that these proceedings wouldbe wrapped up?(90)
您希望何时结束这些程序?

REP.(91)
代表

PRAMILA JAYAPAL: Well, I think that the timelineis as it unfolds.(92)
PRAMILA JAYAPAL:好的,我认为时间表是在逐步展开的。

I know that's not a very satisfactory answer,but I do think that we on the Judiciary Committee(93)
我知道这不是一个令人满意的答案,但我确实认为我们在司法委员会工作

want to be sure that we are getting the fullinformation from the Intel Committee and from(94)
希望确保我们从英特尔委员会和英特尔获得了完整的信息

the other committees of jurisdiction, so wewill wait for them to wrap it up.(95)
其他管辖权委员会,因此我们将等待他们总结。

I will say that there's nothing -- what isso compelling about these witnesses is how(96)
我会说什么都没有-这些见证人如此令人信服的是

incredibly credible they are, I mean, a decoratedPurple Heart lieutenant colonel that testified(97)
我的意思是,他们是一个举世公认的紫心勋章中校

today, Vindman, you know, dedicated careerservants who have testified.(98)
今天,温德曼,你知道,有奉献精神的职业仆人作证。

And so they are adding color and they arecorroborating the story.(99)
因此,他们正在增加色彩,并证实了这个故事。

But I will say that the facts are still thefacts, and they haven't really changed substantially,(100)
但是我会说事实仍然是事实,并且它们并没有真正的实质性改变,

except for the corroboration.(101)
除了佐证。

So, I think there will be a point at whichAdam Schiff says, I think we have got what(102)
所以,我认为亚当·希夫(Adam Schiff)会说一点,我认为我们已经掌握了

we need, and it tells the complete story,and now we're going to send this over to Judiciary.(103)
我们需要它,它讲述了完整的故事,现在我们将其发送给司法机构。

AMNA NAWAZ: Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal,a Democrat from Washington, thank you very(104)
AMNA NAWAZ:来自华盛顿的民主党国会议员Pramila Jayapal,非常感谢

much for your time.(105)
很适合您的时间。

REP.(106)
代表

PRAMILA JAYAPAL: Thank you.(107)
PRAMILA JAYAPAL:谢谢。

AMNA NAWAZ: And our live impeachment hearingcoverage continues tomorrow and Thursday.(108)
AMNA NAWAZ:我们的弹imp听证会明天和星期四继续进行。

That's starting at 9:00 a.m.(109)
从上午9:00开始

Eastern, 8:00 Central.(110)
东部,中部8:00。

Check your local TV listings, and also findus streaming online on Facebook, Twitter,(111)
检查您当地的电视节目,还可以找到我们在Facebook,Twitter,

and on our YouTube pages.(112)
在我们的YouTube页面上


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org