Why the Teamsters president supports Trump's new tariffs
2019-05-14 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Even as China and the U.S.are still trying to reach a trade deal before(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:尽管中国和美国之前仍在努力达成贸易协议

the summer, the stakes and the tension justkeep growing.(2)
夏天,赌注和紧张局势不断增长。

China retaliated this week with the threatof raising its own tariffs on U.S. goods,(3)
本周中国以提高美国商品关税的威胁进行报复,

and that was followed by President Trump'slatest threat that he may raise tariffs on(4)
随后特朗普总统的最新威胁是他可能会提高关税

another $300 billion worth of Chinese goods.(5)
另有价值3000亿美元的中国商品。

Workers, jobs and wages are, of course, atthe heart of this.(6)
当然,工人,工作和工资是其中的核心。

We get the view tonight of one prominent laborleader.(7)
我们今晚得到了一位着名的劳工领袖的看法。

He is James Hoffa Jr., the president of theInternational Brotherhood of Teamsters.(8)
他是国际兄弟团队主席James Hoffa Jr.。

The Teamsters represent 1.4 million members,including drivers, public employees, and construction(9)
Teamsters代表140万会员,包括司机,公共员工和建筑

and sanitation workers.(10)
和卫生工作者。

James Hoffa, welcome back to the "NewsHour."(11)
James Hoffa,欢迎回到“NewsHour”。

JAMES HOFFA, President, International Brotherhoodof Teamsters: Good to be here.(12)
国际兄弟会队长詹姆斯霍法:很高兴来到这里。

JUDY WOODRUFF: The president's tariffs andthe retaliation by China, as we said, are(13)
JUDY WOODRUFF:正如我们所说,总统的关税和中国的报复

making a lot of people nervous.(14)
让很多人紧张

What is your view?(15)
你有什么看法?

JAMES HOFFA: My view is, we need tariffs againstChina.(16)
JAMES HOFFA:我的观点是,我们需要对中国征收关税。

We need a strategic way to use them, becausewe really have to level the playing field(17)
我们需要一种战略性的方式来使用它们,因为我们必须平衡竞争环境

with China.(18)
与中国。

They have had it one way all this time.(19)
他们一直都是单向的。

American goods are not getting in there.(20)
美国商品没有进入那里。

And we have to create a market, a bigger marketthan soybeans for American products to go(21)
我们必须创造一个市场,一个比美国产品大豆更大的市场

into China, which is a huge billion-personcountry.(22)
进入中国,这是一个拥有十亿人口的巨大国家。

And that's not happening.(23)
那并没有发生。

We're being blocked out right now.(24)
我们现在被封锁了。

That's what this trade war is about, aboutopening their market so we can sell our products(25)
这就是这场贸易战的内容,关于开放市场以便我们销售我们的产品

there.(26)
那里。

And that's got to happen.(27)
这就要发生了。

And I think the use of tariffs with regardto China is a good idea.(28)
我认为对中国使用关税是一个好主意。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Well, it may be good in anideal sense, but, as you know very well, there(29)
JUDY WOODRUFF:嗯,这可能是理想意义上的好事,但是,正如你所知,那里

is serious worry about it not only raisingprices for American consumers, but hurting(30)
非常担心它不仅会提高美国消费者的价格,还会伤害他们

American businesses in a way that is goingto cost productivity for years to come.(31)
美国企业将在未来几年内降低成本。

JAMES HOFFA: We have heard that, but we alsosay, why can't we buy American goods?(32)
JAMES HOFFA:我们听说过,但我们也说,为什么我们不能购买美国商品?

Why can't we basically find goods that aremade here?(33)
为什么我们基本上找不到这里制造的商品?

Many goods are made here.(34)
这里生产很多商品。

Let's put Americans to work.(35)
让美国人去工作吧。

I buy American.(36)
我买美国人。

Let's buy products made here, made in maybeCanada, where we have people that are friendly(37)
让我们购买这里生产的产品,这些产品可能是在加拿大制造的,我们这里有友好的人

to us, that are not hostile to us with regardto trade.(38)
对我们来说,在贸易方面对我们没有敌意。

And let's put people here in the United Statesback to work.(39)
让我们让美国人回到工作岗位。

JUDY WOODRUFF: But, James Hoffa, you knowvery well the reason so many of these products(40)
JUDY WOODRUFF:但是,James Hoffa,你很清楚这么多产品的原因

and their manufacturers have moved to Chinais because they are able to make these goods(41)
他们的制造商搬到中国是因为他们能够生产这些商品

in a much cheaper way.(42)
以更便宜的方式。

Americans are able to buy the same productsthey used to buy made in the U.S., but they(43)
美国人能够购买他们过去在美国购买的相同产品,但他们

are much less expensive.(44)
便宜得多。

So what you're talking about is asking Americansto pay more for the same goods.(45)
所以你所说的是要求美国人为同样的商品支付更多费用。

JAMES HOFFA: You might pay a few bucks more,so you pay 20 cents more for a T-shirt.(46)
JAMES HOFFA:你可能会多花几块钱,所以你要为T恤多支付20美分。

Basically, if you're putting somebody to work,isn't that a good idea?(47)
基本上,如果你让某人上班,这不是一个好主意吗?

We can't be driven by this idea of, oh, it'scheaper in China, and let them get away with(48)
我们不能被这种想法驱使,哦,它在中国更便宜,让他们逃脱

everything.(49)
一切。

We have basically got to penetrate that market.(50)
我们基本上已经渗透到这个市场。

Turn it around.(51)
扭转局面。

Why are we not selling over there?(52)
为什么我们不在那边卖?

Why are they not buying our good products?(53)
他们为什么不买我们好的产品?

And they're not.(54)
他们不是。

They're barring us out.(55)
他们禁止我们出去。

They have laws against it.(56)
他们有反对它的法律。

They're stealing our intellectual property.(57)
他们偷了我们的知识产权。

They're imprisoning a million people in concentrationcamps.(58)
他们在集中营里监禁了一百万人。

They have really kind of gone wild over there.(59)
他们在那里真的很疯狂。

And we have got to get them back to our senses.(60)
我们必须让他们恢复理智。

I think one of the ways is this trade war,to say, lookit, get back to your senses.(61)
我认为其中一种方式就是这场贸易战,比如说,看看,回归你的感官。

We want to be trading partners with you, andyou have to open your markets.(62)
我们希望成为您的贸易伙伴,您必须开放您的市场。

And I think this is the way to do it.(63)
我认为这是做到这一点的方法。

JUDY WOODRUFF: I think a lot of people wouldagree with you on the politics of it, but(64)
JUDY WOODRUFF:我想很多人会同意你的政治,但是

they are concerned about the cost.(65)
他们担心成本。

You said 20 cents on a T-shirt.(66)
你说一件T恤上20美分。

The reality is that the experts that havelooked at this are saying the cost of washing(67)
现实情况是,看过这个问题的专家都在说清洗成本

machines, of clothing, of food items couldgo up considerably.(68)
机器,衣服,食品可能会大幅增加。

And how do you defend that to working Americanswho are basically living from paycheck to(69)
你如何为那些基本上生活在薪水中的美国人辩护呢?

paycheck?(70)
片酬?

JAMES HOFFA: Well, what if they basicallytake the company like Whirlpool and put products(71)
JAMES HOFFA:嗯,如果他们基本上把公司当作Whirlpool并放置产品怎么办?

-- put a company here, a factory, with Americansworking there, making those Whirlpool machines,(72)
- 把一家公司,一家工厂,美国人在那里工作,制作那些惠而浦机器,

making those washing machines?(73)
制作那些洗衣机?

Wouldn't that be a good idea?(74)
这不是一个好主意吗?

Basically, start making things here.(75)
基本上,开始在这里做事。

We don't make things in this country anymore.(76)
我们不再在这个国家做东西了。

And that's one of the things wrong with oureconomy and why we have had our wages slip.(77)
这是我们经济出现问题的原因之一,也是我们工资下滑的原因之一。

We need to have manufacturing jobs here.(78)
我们需要在这里拥有制造业工作。

And this is one way to do it.(79)
这是一种方法。

And if we make those products here, and weexport them to other parts of the world, maybe(80)
如果我们在这里生产这些产品,我们可能将它们出口到世界其他地方

not China, that will work.(81)
不是中国,那会奏效。

But the idea about, I can get it cheaper fromChina, can't be the only determining factor(82)
但是,我可以从中国获得更便宜的想法不能成为唯一的决定因素

with regard to our relationship with China.(83)
关于我们与中国的关系。

JUDY WOODRUFF: But I know you have studiedlabor history, James Hoffa.(84)
JUDY WOODRUFF:但我知道你研究过劳动史,James Hoffa。

You know that, in most instances, what happensis that jobs -- that manufacturing is going(85)
你知道,在大多数情况下,会发生的是工作 - 制造业正在发生

to go to places that say, we will do a greatjob of making this item, but we're going to(86)
去那些地方说,我们会很好地制作这个项目,但我们会去

do it for less.(87)
少花钱多办事。

People don't want to pay more if they canget the same thing, at a quality -- a quality(88)
人们不希望付出更多,如果他们能够以质量 - 质量获得相同的东西

item, but pay less for it.(89)
项目,但支付较少。

JAMES HOFFA: That's what's been driving usfor the past 10 years, and look where we're(90)
JAMES HOFFA:这就是过去10年来一直在推动我们的目标,看看我们在哪里

at.(91)
在。

We have trade deficits with everybody.(92)
我们与每个人都有贸易逆差。

Yes, we get a few cheaper products here, butwe don't make anything here in America.(93)
是的,我们在这里买了一些更便宜的产品,但我们在美国没有做任何东西。

We're hollowing out our economy.(94)
我们正在挖空我们的经济。

And for the short-term gain, we're basicallylosing our manufacturing ability.(95)
而对于短期收益,我们基本上失去了制造能力。

And that's why we have a wage slippage.(96)
这就是为什么我们有工资滑点的原因。

People don't make the kind of money they shouldbe making here.(97)
人们不会在这里赚到他们应该赚的那种​​钱。

We don't have manufacturing jobs.(98)
我们没有制造业工作。

We're hollowing out our economy by being slavesto basically saving some money on a bike or(99)
我们通过奴役来掏空我们的经济,基本上可以节省一些自行车上的钱

some toys.(100)
一些玩具。

And I think that's wrong.(101)
我认为那是错的。

We have got to reassess how we look at thingsto say, do we want to be a real economy, where(102)
我们必须重新评估我们如何看待事物,我们想要成为一个真实的经济体,在哪里

we manufacture things, or someplace that wantsto go to Toys 'R' Us and buy something cheaper?(103)
我们制造的东西,还是想要去玩具反斗城并购买更便宜的东西的地方?

JUDY WOODRUFF: You're making it sound likeit's just a small part of people's budget.(104)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你说这听起来只是人们预算的一小部分。

What are you hearing from your own members?(105)
你有什么从你自己的成员那里听到的?

Are they saying they're willing to pay morefor the goods that they need for their family?(106)
他们是否愿意为他们的家庭所需的商品支付更多费用?

JAMES HOFFA: Well, I think that our membersare going to stick with us to say, we want(107)
JAMES HOFFA:嗯,我认为我们的成员会坚持要我们说,我们想要

to have good jobs.(108)
有好工作。

Our members have good jobs.(109)
我们的成员有很好的工作。

Our members are working hard.(110)
我们的成员正在努力。

They make good money.(111)
他们赚了很多钱。

They have health care.(112)
他们有医疗保健。

They have pensions.(113)
他们有退休金。

They're the middle class.(114)
他们是中产阶级。

We have to have more people in the middleclass, more people like the Teamsters and(115)
我们必须有更多的人在中产阶级,更多的人喜欢Teamsters和

organized labor.(116)
有组织的劳工

And that's what's wrong with this countryright now.(117)
这就是现在这个国家的错误。

We have hollowed out our economy, where webasically have people working for nothing(118)
我们掏空了经济,我们基本上让人们无所事事

or basically working for $11 an hour withno benefits, and working for 20 hours a week.(119)
或基本上每小时工作11美元,没有任何福利,每周工作20小时。

That's what's wrong with the economy.(120)
这就是经济的错误。

And there are basically people groveling tobuy these cheaper products that come from(121)
基本上人们都在努力购买这些更便宜的产品

China.(122)
中国。

That's not the American way.(123)
那不是美国人的方式。

I want to turn this thing around.(124)
我想扭转这个局面。

I want to basically have people making thingshere, exporting things, putting people to(125)
我想基本上让人们在这里做东西,出口东西,把人们带到

work.(126)
工作。

Let's put America back to work.(127)
让美国重新开始工作吧。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And your members are preparedto pay higher prices?(128)
JUDY WOODRUFF:您的会员准备支付更高的价格吗?

JAMES HOFFA: If they have to.(129)
JAMES HOFFA:如果必须的话。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And they're not worried aboutlosing their jobs?(130)
JUDY WOODRUFF:他们并不担心失去工作?

JAMES HOFFA: Well, they're not going to losetheir jobs.(131)
JAMES HOFFA:嗯,他们不会失去工作。

Our people are working right now.(132)
我们的员工现在正在工作。

Our people are working right now.(133)
我们的员工现在正在工作。

We have a robust economy.(134)
我们经济稳健。

I don't see this as being tied to losing theirjobs.(135)
我不认为这与失去工作有关。

I think this is going to be short-term.(136)
我认为这将是短期的。

Number one, I think people are overreactingto this entire affair.(137)
第一,我认为人们对整个事件反应过度。

I think it's going to be over with soon.(138)
我想很快就会结束。

I think somebody is going to blink here, becauseChina has so much more to lose than we do.(139)
我认为有人会在这里眨眼,因为中国比我们失去的要多得多。

They have 5-1 with regard the trade.(140)
他们在交易方面有5-1。

People talk about soybeans.(141)
人们谈论大豆。

They are selling so much stuff to us, theycannot afford to lose this thing, this battle.(142)
他们向我们出售了这么多东西,他们无法承受失去这件事,这场战斗。

And they have got to basically have it sothey can keep selling stuff here, but they(143)
他们必须基本拥有它,以便他们可以继续在这里销售东西,但他们

have to open their markets to do that.(144)
必须打开他们的市场才能做到这一点。

It has to be an equal trade.(145)
它必须是平等的交易。

We sell to them, they sell to us.(146)
我们卖给他们,他们卖给我们。

That is our goal.(147)
这是我们的目标。

JUDY WOODRUFF: James Hoffa, president of theTeamsters, thank you very much.(148)
JUDY WOODRUFF:Teamsters总裁James Hoffa非常感谢你。

JAMES HOFFA: Thank you.(149)
JAMES HOFFA:谢谢。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org