When the easiest way to feel safe is offering help to others
2018-01-12 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: We end this week with one immigrant'stake on belonging.(1)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:我们结束这一周有一个移民的采取上归属感。

Award-winning novelist Akhil Sharma is a professorof literature at Rutgers University and a(2)
获奖小说家克希尔·沙玛是罗格斯大学和一个文学教授

contributor to "The New Yorker" magazine.(3)
贡献者“纽约客”杂志上。

He offers his Humble Opinion on opening upto understand the experiences of others.(4)
他提供他的开放,了解他人的经验管见。

AKHIL SHARMA, Professor of Literature, RutgersUniversity: People ask me all the time if(5)
克希尔·沙玛,罗格斯大学文学教授,:人们总是问我,如果时间

I feel more Indian or more American.(6)
我觉得更多的印度或更多美国人。

When I was younger, if it were an Indian asking,I would say American.(7)
当我年轻的时候,如果它是一个印度人问,我会说美国。

And if it were an American, I would say Indian.(8)
如果它是一个美国人,我会说印度。

I did this because I was wanted to botherpeople.(9)
我这样做是因为我想理会人。

I was unsettled, unhappy, irritable.(10)
我很不安,不满,烦躁。

And my taking the opposite of whatever thequestioner was, was a way of unsettling him(11)
而我走的是相反的任何的提问是,被搅乱了他的一种方式

or her, making the person anxious about hisown sense of home.(12)
或她,使人担心自己的家的感觉。

Now, when people ask me the question, I say,I am American.(13)
现在,当人们问我这个问题,我说,我是美国人。

So what happened?(14)
所以发生了什么事?

I think I became a little bit less selfish.(15)
我觉得我变得有点少自私。

I grew up in a family where there was a lotof physical illness.(16)
我在一个家庭中,有很多身体疾病的长大。

As a child, I spent years in hospitals.(17)
作为一个孩子,我在医院花了几年时间。

I grew up feeling desperate, having the sensethat there was only a limited amount of happiness(18)
我从小就感到绝望,有这个意义上说,只有幸福的数量有限

in the world, and I had to grab whatever Icould.(19)
在世界上,我不得不抓住一切我所能。

In my 30s, after decades of being hurt andangry, I decided, I can't go on like this.(20)
在30年代我,几十年来被伤害和愤怒之后,我决定了,我不能再这样下去了。

I have to change.(21)
我必须改变。

I have to change in every possible way.(22)
我不得不百般变化英寸

I remember, one Monday morning, I was in theelevator of my apartment building, and I was(23)
我记得,一个星期一的早晨,我在我的公寓楼的电梯,我是

going down, and a woman got in, and I askedher how she was doing.(24)
下去的时候,和一个女人进来了,我问她是怎么做的。

"Not well," she said.(25)
“不好,”她说。

Mother of God, I thought, I have my own problems.(26)
上帝的母亲,我想,我有我自己的问题。

"What's the matter?"(27)
“怎么了?”

I asked, because this was the polite thingto say.(28)
我问,因为这是礼貌的事说了。

"My son, he's a paranoid schizophrenic.(29)
“我的儿子,他是偏执型精神分裂症。

He's 13, and he thinks the IRS is after him.(30)
他是13,他认为国税局是在他之后。

I had to put him in the hospital yesterday."(31)
我昨天把他在医院里。”

Mostly, what I felt at that moment was annoyance.(32)
大多数情况下,我觉得在那一刻很烦恼。

This woman had a real problem and, in my heartof hearts, I just wanted to get back to thinking(33)
这个女人有一个真正的问题,在我心中的心脏,我只是想找回思维

about myself.(34)
关于我自己。

I asked her if she wanted me to go with herto the hospital.(35)
我问她,如果她要我和她一起去医院。

I asked this because I had decided I wouldtry to think a little bit less about myself(36)
我问这个,因为我已经决定我会去想想自己少一点点

and a little bit more about others.(37)
多一点点别人。

As I asked this, though, I thought, pleaseGod, please, say no.(38)
当我问到这个,不过,我想,请神,请说不。

"Yes," the woman said.(39)
“是的,”女人说。

"Thank you.(40)
“谢谢。

That would be great."(41)
那太好了。”

Unexpectedly, I felt enormous relief.(42)
没想到,我感到巨大的解脱。

It was as if space had opened up around.(43)
这是因为如果空间都围绕开放。

Every time I have given help when I have feltI needed it myself, I have had the same sensation,(44)
我每次都给予帮助时,我都觉得我需要我自己,我也有同样的感觉,

sometimes quickly, sometimes in a little bit.(45)
有时快,有时一点点。

But there is space around me, that I havemore options than I think.(46)
但我周围的空间,我有更多的选择,比我想的。

It is generosity which reminds us we're morethan our problems.(47)
这是慷慨这提醒我们,我们是不是我们的问题更多。

What does belonging mean?(48)
什么是属于什么意思?

It means feeling safe.(49)
它意味着安全感。

It means feeling accepted.(50)
它意味着感觉接受。

It has nothing to do with what country youwere born in or your parents were born in.(51)
它无关,与你出生或你的父母都出生在什么样的国家。

The easiest way to feel safe is to offer patience,offer help.(52)
感到安全的最简单的方法是提供耐心,提供帮助。

When we do this, we're forced to step outof ourselves, and we're we reminded that the(53)
当我们做到这一点,我们不得不走出我们自己,我们是,我们提醒的是,

world is greater than our imagination.(54)
世界比我们想象的更大。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org