Conn. attorney general calls generic drug makers a 'private sector cartel'
2019-05-15 00:00:00


AMNA NAWAZ: The price of prescription drugsis a pocketbook issue that affects Americans(1)
AMNA NAWAZ:处方药的价格是影响美国人的钱包问题

from every walk of life.(2)
来自各行各业。

Much of the focus has been on the cost ofbrand-name drugs.(3)
大部分焦点都集中在品牌药的成本上。

But, as John Yang tells us, a new multistatelawsuit alleges many generic drugmakers have(4)
但是,正如约翰杨告诉我们的那样,一项新的多州诉讼指控了许多仿制药制造商

been artificially raising the price of theirmedications, drugs used to treat everything(5)
人为地提高了药物的价格,用来治疗一切的药物

from minor infections to chronic diseaseslike HIV.(6)
从轻微感染到艾滋病等慢性病。

JOHN YANG: Amna, about 90 percent of the prescriptionsfilled in the United States are for generic(7)
JOHN YANG:Amna,美国约90%的处方用于仿制药

drugs, medications whose patents have expired.(8)
药物,专利已过期的药物。

Congress created the generic drug industryto drive prices down through increased competition.(9)
国会创建了仿制药行业,通过增加竞争来降低价格。

But a lawsuit filed by 43 states and PuertoRico alleges that leading drugmakers conspired(10)
但是,43个州和波多黎各提起的诉讼声称,主要的制药商密谋

to inflate the prices of more than 100 widelyused generic drugs, sometimes by as much as(11)
推广100多种广泛使用的仿制药的价格,有时甚至高达

1000 percent.(12)
1000%。

Connecticut Attorney General William Tong'soffice has been leading the investigation.(13)
康涅狄格州司法部长William Tong的办公室一直在领导调查。

And he joins us now.(14)
他现在加入了我们。

Mr. Tong, thanks so much for joining us.(15)
唐先生,非常感谢你加入我们。

WILLIAM TONG, Connecticut Attorney General:John, thanks for having me.(16)
康涅狄格州威廉姆斯总检察长:约翰,谢谢你拥有我。

JOHN YANG: First of all, give us a sense ofthe scope.(17)
杨YANG:首先,让我们了解范围。

How much money are we talking about?(18)
我们在谈论多少钱?

WILLIAM TONG: Billions of dollars.(19)
WILLIAM TONG:数十亿美元。

We think this is potentially the largest privatesector cartel in history.(20)
我们认为这可能是历史上最大的私营部门卡特尔。

And what we're seeing is pervasive, widespread,industry-wide price-fixing and dividing up(21)
我们所看到的是普遍的,广泛的,全行业的价格垄断和分割

of market share.(22)
市场份额。

JOHN YANG: And you're alleging that some ofthe drugs involved are widely used.(23)
杨扬:你们声称所涉及的一些药物被广泛使用。

Some of our viewers may have them in theirmedicine cabinets right now.(24)
我们的一些观众现在可能将它们放在药柜中。

WILLIAM TONG: Yes.(25)
WILLIAM TONG:是的。

JOHN YANG: What are we talking about?(26)
杨YANG:我们在说什么?

WILLIAM TONG: So, common antibiotics likedoxycycline, which I use day, Z-Packs, which(27)
WILLIAM TONG:所以,常用的抗生素,如强力霉素,我使用它,Z-Packs,其中

we use -- I use sometimes when my kids aresick.(28)
我们使用 - 有时当我的孩子生病时使用。

I have a 13-year-old, a 10-year-old, a 7-year-old.(29)
我有一个13岁,一个10岁,一个7岁的孩子。

Adults use Z-Packs for bronchitis and a hostof ailments.(30)
成人使用Z-Packs治疗支气管炎和许多疾病。

There are some simple antibiotic creams thatwe use, you know, when we get a cut or a scratch.(31)
我们使用一些简单的抗生素面霜,当我们得到切口或划痕时。

These are drugs that we use every day andthey're drugs at Americans rely on to live.(32)
这些是我们每天使用的药物,它们是美国人依赖的药物。

JOHN YANG: And what's the evidence you haveto backup your claims?(33)
杨扬:你有什么证据来备份你的索赔?

WILLIAM TONG: So, we have text messages, e-mails.(34)
WILLIAM TONG:所以,我们有短信,电子邮件。

We have cooperating witnesses.(35)
我们有合作的证人。

And we also have phone records that show ondays in which the major generic drug manufacturers(36)
我们还有电话记录显示主要仿制药制造商的日子

increased prices, often in concert, thereis a high frequency of phone calls, you know,(37)
价格上涨,通常是一致的,电话频率很高,你知道,

phone calls that last for a minute, two minutes,five minutes, 45 minutes, between the major(38)
主要电话之间持续一分钟,两分钟,五分钟,45分钟的电话

generic drug manufacture centers a highlyunusual way.(39)
仿制药制造中心是一种极不寻常的方式。

And so all of this evidence shows that therewas overt, brazen collusion on price.(40)
因此所有这些证据表明,价格存在公然,无耻的勾结。

And I guess what I would say to the industryis, what part of that is not true?(41)
我想我会对业界说的是,哪一部分不是真的?

JOHN YANG: Well, I mean, to be clear, youdon't know what was said in those phone conversations.(42)
杨杨:嗯,我的意思是,要说清楚,你不知道那些电话交谈中说了什么。

You just know that they took place.(43)
你只知道他们发生了。

So what makes you suspicious?(44)
是什么让你怀疑?

WILLIAM TONG: No, actually, we have text messagesand e-mails that memorialize what happened(45)
WILLIAM TONG:不,实际上,我们有短信和电子邮件来纪念发生的事情

in those phone conversations.(46)
在那些电话交谈中。

We have chatter after the phone conversationsin which people say, look, I talked to this(47)
我们在电话交谈后聊天,人们说,看,我跟这个聊了聊

guy, I talked to that guy.(48)
伙计,我跟那个人说话了。

It seems that this company is going the raiseprice on this drug, and this other company(49)
看来这家公司正在对这种药和其他公司提高价格

is going to follow.(50)
将要跟随。

It's that sort of communication, coupled together,the text messages, the e-mails, the cooperating(51)
这是一种通信,耦合在一起,文本消息,电子邮件,合作

witnesses, again, who are telling us what'shappening at these companies, and then the(52)
证人,再次,谁告诉我们这些公司发生了什么,然后是

phone records.(53)
电话记录。

Putting that all together shows a practice,an industry-wide practice of collusion, again,(54)
把它们放在一起就显示了一种做法,一种全行业的共谋做法,

in what is the largest corporate cartel inhistory.(55)
什么是历史上最大的企业卡特尔。

JOHN YANG: We're going to be talking to someonefrom the generic drug industry after this.(56)
杨扬:此后我们将与仿制药行业的人员交谈。

But one of the things that they have saidbefore in response to this lawsuit is that(57)
但他们之前就此诉讼所说的其中一件事就是

they say that, overall, the price of genericdrugs has been falling.(58)
他们说,总的来说,仿制药的价格一直在下降。

How do you respond to that?(59)
你是如何回应的?

WILLIAM TONG: You know, they sent out a pressrelease, and they sent out a chart that they(60)
WILLIAM TONG:你知道,他们发了一份新闻稿,他们发了一张他们的图表

say shows that prices have gone down a littlebit over the last three years.(61)
据说这表明过去三年价格有所下降。

But what they don't mention is that the samechart that they put out shows there was a(62)
但他们没有提到的是,他们提出的相同图表显示有一个

huge spike in prices in 2012, '13 and '14.(63)
2012年,13年和14年价格大幅飙升。

And this is why we saw prices go up 1000 percent,2000 percent on the drug I mentioned, doxycycline,(64)
这就是为什么我们看到价格上涨1000%,我提到的药物2000%,强力霉素,

the one I take, 8000 percent.(65)
我拿的那个,8000%。

And there was just no reason for a spike inprices, no market explanation.(66)
并且没有理由让价格飙升,没有市场解释。

And what we found is that, during that time,these competitors were talking and they were(67)
而我们发现,在那段时间里,这些竞争对手正在谈论他们

colluding.(68)
勾结。

JOHN YANG: You said that some of these textsmemorialize the phone conversations, and they(69)
杨YANG:你说这些文本中的一些记录了电话交谈,以及它们

say who they talked to.(70)
说他们和谁说话。

But what in specific is being said this inthese text messages?(71)
但具体是什么在这些短信中说这个?

WILLIAM TONG: So, what they're talking aboutis, you know, efforts by various drug manufacturers(72)
WILLIAM TONG:所以,他们所谈论的是,各种药品制造商的努力

to raise prices.(73)
提高价格。

So, on the one hand, you see communicationsabout, you know, Teva, which is the focus(74)
所以,一方面,你会看到关于Teva的沟通,这是关注焦点

of this latest complaint, and the largestgeneric drug manufacturer in the world, that(75)
最新的投诉,以及世界上最大的仿制药制造商

Teva will raise prices on X-day, and anothergeneric drug manufacturer, say, Mylan, will(76)
Teva将在X日提高价格,而另一家仿制药制造商Mylan将会提高价格

follow.(77)
跟随。

And so there are overt conversations by specificmanufacturers by representatives of specific(78)
因此,特定制造商可以通过具体的代表进行明显的对话

manufacturers about price movements and howthey are going to react to them.(79)
制造商关于价格变动以及他们将如何应对这些变动。

Also, they talk about dividing up their fairshare of the market and forcing a market allocation(80)
此外,他们谈论分割他们的市场份额和强制市场分配

or division of market share by playing nicein the sandbox with each other.(81)
或者通过在沙箱中互相玩耍来分享市场份额。

So it's that kind of language that shows thatthere is an overt agreement to collude on(82)
因此,正是这种语言表明存在明显的串通协议

price and market share.(83)
价格和市场份额。

JOHN YANG: In addition to trying to stop thispractice, is -- or trying to stop these practices(84)
杨致远:除了试图阻止这种做法,是 - 或试图阻止这些做法

-- is your lawsuit trying to get any otherof this money back for the consumer?(85)
- 您的诉讼是否试图将这笔钱中的任何其他钱还给消费者?

WILLIAM TONG: Yes.(86)
WILLIAM TONG:是的。

We're trying to claw back the billions ofdollars that they stole from the American(87)
我们试图收回他们从美国偷走的数十亿美元

people through what we believe to be one ofthe biggest frauds ever committed on the people(88)
人们通过我们认为是人们有史以来最大的欺诈行为之一

of this country.(89)
这个国家。

JOHN YANG: Connecticut Attorney General WilliamTong, thanks so much for joining us.(90)
JOHN YANG:康涅狄格州司法部长William Tong,非常感谢您加入我们。

WILLIAM TONG: Thank you, John.(91)
WILLIAM TONG:谢谢John。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org