Don't Be MIA! Improve Your English With These Military Words
2016-11-12 21:00:58


Now the VOA Learning English program Words and Their Stories.(1)
现在美国之音慢速英语词汇掌故节目。

On this show, we explore the origin and uses of common expressions in American English.(2)
在这个节目中,我们探讨的由来及用途在美国英语中常用表达式。

Today, we talk about some words that began life in the military.(3)
今天,我们谈论了一些的话,开始在军中的生活。

In the United States, Veterans Day is a national holiday held on November 11. On that day in 1918, all sides in World War I stopped fighting.(4)
在美国,退伍军人节是 11 月 11 日举行全国性的节日。在 1918 年的那一天,在一次世界大战中的所有各方停止战斗。

Americans originally called this holiday Armistice Day. The name changed to Veterans Day in 1954..(5)
美国人原来叫这个假期停战一天。1954 年到退伍军人日更改的名称。

A Veteran’s Day kind of veteran is a current or former member of the armed services. However, “veteran” also describes civilians.(6)
老兵老兵一天种是武装部队服务现任或前任成员。然而,"老兵"还描述了平民。

A veteran is someone who has a lot of experience in a particular activity, skill or job. The opposite of a veteran is a novice or a beginner.(7)
一位老兵是有大量的在某一特定活动、 技能或工作经验的人。一位资深的反面是新手或初学者。

But let’s get back to military veterans.(8)
但让我们回到退伍军人。

People in the military like to use acronyms. An acronym is a word formed from the first letters of each word in a phrase.(9)
在军中的人喜欢用首字母缩写词。首字母缩略词是由短语中每个词的第一个字母组成一个单词。

For example, the acronym NATO stands for “North Atlantic Treaty Organization.” But now people just call it “NATO.”(10)
例如,首字母缩写词北约代表"北大西洋条约组织"。但现在人们只是把它称为"北约"。

Some other military acronyms have crossed over into civilian language.(11)
一些其他军事缩略语已越过成平民的语言。

Radar, for example, is short for “dio etecting nd anging.”(12)
雷达,例如,是简称"dio etecting nd 更改"。

Radar is a device that sends out radio waves for finding the position and speed of a moving object such as a spy plane.(13)
雷达是对象的发出无线电波寻找的位置和速度的移动,如一架间谍飞机的设备。

This war term first came into use in 1941..(14)
这个战争术语首先进入了 1941 年的用途。

We use "radar" in a couple useful expressions.(15)
我们几个有用的表达式中使用了"雷达"。

To fall off the radar means to disappear.(16)
脱落的雷达手段消失。

For example, let’s say I am too busy to play the ukulele.(17)
比如说,太忙玩四弦琴。

When a friend asks if I’ve been playing, I can say, “Playing the ukulele has kind of fallen off my radar. I’m just too busy these days.”(18)
当一位朋友问是否我一直在玩,我可以说,"玩四弦琴种已经远离了我的雷达。我只是太忙了,这些天。

The opposite of that is to be on someone's radar. When something is on your radar you are thinking about it or considering it.(19)
相反的就是对某人的雷达。当一些东西是在你的雷达上你想这件事或者考虑它。

For example, let’s say I have moved to a new city. I have a new job and a new apartment.(20)
比如说,我搬到一个新的城市。我有一份新工作和新的公寓。

Then, someone asks me if I have joined a ukulele group yet. I answer, “Not yet. But it is on my radar.”(21)
然后,有人问我,是否我还加入了夏威夷四弦琴组。我回答,"还没有。但它是在我的雷达上。

In other words, I am actively looking for one.(22)
换句话说,我正在积极地寻找一个人的看法。

But let’s leave the ukulele and go back to war. If you are pilot of a spy plane, you want to fly under the enemy’s radar.(23)
但让我们离开夏威夷四弦琴,回到战争。如果你是一架间谍飞机的飞行员,你想要在敌人的雷达下飞行。

This way they will not detect you on their radar screens.(24)
这种方式他们将检测不到你在雷达屏幕上。

And that is how we use this expression in everyday conversation.(25)
而这正是我们如何在日常会话中使用此表达式。

When you fly under the radar you want to be invisible -- unseen, undetected. You disappear.(26)
当您在雷达下飞行时你想要看不见 — — 看不见的未被发现。允许你的消失。

If you disappear from a battle in a war, you are MIA. This acronym stands for “missing in action.”(27)
如果你从一场战役在战争中消失,你是米娅。全称为"在行动中失踪"。

In civilian use, MIA often refers to a person dropping out of an activity.(28)
在民用,MIA 常常提到辍学的活动的人。

For example, if I miss a lot of ukulele practices my band mates might describe me as MIA.(29)
例如,如果错过了大量的夏威夷四弦琴练习我的队友可能描述我作为 MIA。

AWOL is a very different kind of military disappearance.(30)
擅离职守是一种非常不同的军事失踪。

"AWOL" stands for “absence without official leave.” This means a soldier is missing from duty without permission.(31)
"擅离职守"代表"未未经官方许可"。这意味着一名士兵失踪未经许可擅离职守。

A solider found guilty of an AWOL charge can suffer serious punishment.(32)
一个士兵发现犯有擅离职守的电荷可以受到严重惩罚。

In civilian life, it has a similar meaning. AWOL means you were supposed to be somewhere but were not.(33)
在平民生活中,它具有类似的意思。你本来要去别的地方,但是又不是指擅离职守。

For example, if my friend offered to help at my ukulele concert but did not show up, she is AWOL.(34)
例如,如果我的朋友愿意帮助我夏威夷四弦琴演奏会,但没有露面,她是擅离职守。

Military people have great acronyms to describe a situation that has gone terribly wrong.(35)
军事的人有伟大的首字母缩写词来描述已经极其错误的情况。

FUBAR means something severely disorganized, damaged or ruined.(36)
福吧意味着东西严重混乱、 损坏或毁坏。

Some say it stands for “fouled up beyond all repair.” Other say it stands for “fouled up beyond all recognition.”(37)
有人说,它代表"超越所有修复砸"。其他说它代表"面目全非砸"。

SNAFU has a similar meaning. This acronym stands for “situation normal: all fouled up.”(38)
天翻地覆了类似的意思。全称为"正常的情况︰ 都乱了."

In other words, things are not going well, as usual.(39)
换句话说,事情不顺利,像往常一样。

We should note, the soldier who invented these acronyms may not originally have used the word “fouled.”(40)
我们应该注意到,士兵发明了这些缩写词可能不最初使用词"犯规"。

They may have used a more offensive word that means the same thing.(41)
他们可能会使用更具攻击性的词,意味着同样的事情。

But that is just not VOA Learning English style.(42)
但这只是不是美国之音学习英语风格。

I’m Anna Matteo.(43)
我是安娜利玛窦。


All Articles fetched from Voice of America RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds and copyrighted by voanews.com