How students who struggle with mental illness can find help
2018-05-15 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Being the first in the familyto attend college presents one kind of pressure(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:成为家庭中第一个上大学的学生提出了一种压力

on students, but, increasingly, a wide varietyof students are presenting symptoms of depression(2)
对学生而言,但越来越多的学生呈现抑郁症状

and anxiety, and, worse, hopelessness.(3)
和焦虑,更糟糕的是,绝望。

Last night, we looked at this concerning situationin the first of a two-part series around National(4)
昨天晚上,我们在全国各地的两部分系列的第一部分中看到了这种情况

Mental Health Month.(5)
心理健康月。

Tonight, Jeffrey Brown returns to a schooltrying to address the problem. He talks to(6)
今晚,杰弗里布朗回到一所试图解决问题的学校。他会谈话

three young people at the Massachusetts Instituteof Technology about their participation in(7)
三名麻省理工学院的年轻人关于他们的参与

the Portraits of Resilience Project.(8)
韧性项目的肖像。

EMILY TANG, MIT Student: I'm Emily Tang. I'mfinishing my junior year now. I'm studying(9)
EMILY TANG,MIT学生:我是Emily Tang。我现在正在完成我的大三学年。我正在学习

electrical engineering and computer science,with a minor in linguistics.(10)
电气工程和计算机科学,语言学未成年人。

VICTOR MORALES, MIT Graduate: My name is VictorMorales, and I graduated in 2014. I studied(11)
VICTOR MORALES,MIT毕业生:我的名字是维克多·莫拉莱斯,我于2014年毕业。我学习了

mathematics. I'm looking for a job now asa teacher.(12)
数学。我现在正在找一份工作,当老师。

HALEY COPE, MIT Student: My name is HaleyCope. I'm a senior here at MIT in women and(13)
HALEY COPE,MIT学生:我叫Haley Cope。我是麻省理工学院的女士和女士

gender studies.(14)
性别研究。

JEFFREY BROWN: They are three high-achievingstudents at one of the world's most prestigious(15)
杰弗里布朗:他们是世界上最负盛名的三名高成就学生

universities. They have also suffered cripplingdepression, and been through years of therapy(16)
大学。他们也遭受了严重的抑郁症,并且经过了多年的治疗

and medication.(17)
和药物。

For Haley, who grew up in rural Pennsylvania,the problems started well before college.(18)
对于在宾夕法尼亚州农村长大的哈利来说,这些问题在大学毕业前就开始了。

HALEY COPE: I thought it was kind of a normalthing: Oh, doesn't every middle schooler try(19)
哈里克:我认为这是一种正常的事情:哦,并不是每个中学生都会尝试

to harm themselves?(20)
伤害自己?

No, they don't, and so definitely middle school.High school was a very turbulent time, both(21)
不,他们不是,绝对是中学。高中是一个非常动荡的时间,都是

in my family life, and with the stress ofapplying to colleges, trying to make myself(22)
在我的家庭生活中,以及向大学申请的压力,试图让自己成为自己

perfect for that, for coming in to MIT, mydream school.(23)
完美的,为了进入麻省理工学院,我的梦想学校。

JEFFREY BROWN: Make yourself perfect?(24)
杰弗里布朗:让自己完美?

HALEY COPE: Yes, sir.(25)
哈里克:是的,先生。

JEFFREY BROWN: That's a big thing.(26)
杰弗里布朗:这是一件大事。

HALEY COPE: It is. It's not something I cando alone. It's not something achievable.(27)
HALEY COPE:是的。这不是我能一个人做的事情。这不是可以实现的。

By the time I got to MIT, I failed every singleclass my freshman fall, and had a problem(28)
当我到麻省理工学院时,我的大一学生都失败了,并且遇到了问题

with alcohol. By my freshman spring was whenI realized, after a -- a classmate of mine(29)
与酒精。我的大一春天是当我意识到我的一个同学之后

in my dormitory committed suicide, I realizedI really should be getting help again.(30)
在我的宿舍自杀后,我意识到我真的应该再次获得帮助。

JEFFREY BROWN: Haley sought counseling oncampus. And, later, when she herself became(31)
杰弗里布朗:海莉在校园里寻求咨询。后来,她自己成了

suicidal, she spent time at McLean Hospital,a psychiatric facility outside Boston.(32)
自杀,她花了时间在波士顿郊外的精神病院麦克林医院。

Emily, too, points to early pressures growingup in Plano, Texas, including expectations(33)
艾米莉也指出了德克萨斯州普莱诺的早期压力,包括预期

within her family, and stressful relationshipswith peers.(34)
在她的家庭中,以及与同龄人的压力关系。

EMILY TANG: I got through it. I kept going.And then, once I got to college, I felt so(35)
EMILY TANG:我通过了它。我继续前进。然后,一旦我上了大学,我感觉如此

tired, so out of it all the time. The depressionreally hit me hard again. And this time, it(36)
累了,所以一直都这样。萧条再次让我感到很难受。这一次,它

was sort of worse than ever.(37)
比以往任何时候都更糟。

It was really easy for me to just sort ofslip through the cracks, for me to sort of(38)
对于我来说,真的很容易,只是在裂缝中滑倒,对我而言

stop going to class, stop functioning, stopliving my daily life. And that was when I(39)
停止上课,停止运作,停止过日常生活。那是我的时候

went on leave from school.(40)
上学离开了。

JEFFREY BROWN: Victor says he always feltlike an outsider, as an immigrant from Mexico(41)
杰弗里布朗:维克多说,他总是觉得自己像一个外来人,来自墨西哥的移民

who was raised in Merced, California, andas someone who came to see himself as bisexual.(42)
谁是在加利福尼亚的默塞德长大的,并且是一个将自己视为双性恋的人。

By his sophomore year at MIT, he experienceddebilitating anxiety, but says he didn't understand(43)
在麻省理工大学读大二的时候,他经历了令人沮丧的焦虑,但说他不明白

it was a form of mental illness.(44)
这是一种精神疾病。

VICTOR MORALES: So I just blamed myself. AndI slept through...(45)
VICTOR MORALES:所以我只是责备自己。我睡了...

(CROSSTALK)
JEFFREY BROWN: What did you think was goingon?(46)
杰弗里布朗:你觉得怎么回事?

VICTOR MORALES: I thought, everybody getsstressed out, and everybody freezes when they're(47)
VICTOR MORALES:我想,每个人都会感到紧张,每个人都会冻结

stressed out. But I slept through an exam,and I didn't even feel like even e-mailing(48)
强调。但是我通过考试睡了一觉,甚至连电子邮件都没有

the professor, because I felt so much shame,just had so much anxiety built up. I had this(49)
教授,因为我感到非常惭愧,只是有这么多的焦虑建立起来。我有这个

feeling like I didn't belong at MIT.(50)
感觉就像我不属于麻省理工学院。

JEFFREY BROWN: You mean, as in you're an impostorhere?(51)
杰弗里布朗:你的意思是,就像你在这里是骗子?

VICTOR MORALES: Yes, I'm not smart enoughto be here.(52)
VICTOR MORALES:是的,我没有足够的智慧来到这里。

And it wasn't until months after I graduated-- I was starting to go through the symptoms(53)
直到我毕业后的几个月 - 我开始经历症状

of mental illnesses and depression, and Irealized, I think I have depression.(54)
心理疾病和抑郁症,我意识到,我认为我有抑郁症。

JEFFREY BROWN: Did opening up to your familyhelp, or hurt, or what was that experience(55)
杰弗里布朗:开放给你的家人帮助,或伤害,或者那是什么经验

like?(56)
喜欢?

VICTOR MORALES: At first, it was hurtful.I come from a -- this kind of stereotypical(57)
VICTOR MORALES:起初,这很伤人。我来自 - 这种刻板印象

Mexican family. And depression in our communityis like an evil spirit.(58)
墨西哥家庭。我们社区的抑郁症就像一个邪恶的灵魂。

JEFFREY BROWN: Emily, what happened when youtold your family or people back home?(59)
杰弗里布朗:艾米莉,当你告诉家人或家人回家时发生了什么?

EMILY TANG: I come from an Asian-Americanhousehold, obviously.(60)
EMILY TANG:很明显,我来自亚裔美国人家庭。

And in China, there's not -- mental healthcare is not a thing. It's sort of like you(61)
而在中国,没有 - 精神卫生保健不是问题。这有点像你

don't talk about it, you just get throughit, it doesn't exist, right?(62)
不要谈论它,你只是通过它,它不存在,对吧?

It was really a struggle, I think, to reallyget my parents to understand what I was going(63)
我认为,真的让我的父母明白我要去的是什么

through.(64)
通过。

JEFFREY BROWN: What about coming here, thepressure cooker of coming to a place where(65)
JEFFREY BROWN:来到这里的压力锅来到哪里

everybody is a high achiever?(66)
每个人都是高成就者?

HALEY COPE: Oh, absolutely, not to discountthe, I don't know, perhaps utilitarian mind(67)
哈里克:哦,绝对不要打折,我不知道,也许功利主义的头脑

work of -- framework of MIT that kind of putspeople's value based on how many hours you(68)
MIT的框架 - 那种基于你多少小时放人价值的工作

can spend in lab, or how well you do in yourclasses.(69)
可以在实验室中花费,或者你在课堂上的表现如何。

JEFFREY BROWN: You feel that?(70)
杰弗里布朗:你觉得呢?

HALEY COPE: You do.(71)
HALEY COPE:你这样做。

JEFFREY BROWN: And you did get to a point,at times, where you thought of taking your(72)
杰弗里布朗:你确实有时候会想到要带你的地方

life?(73)
生活?

HALEY COPE: Yes, sir. It got the worst atthe end of my freshman spring semester. And(74)
哈里克:是的,先生。在我大一的春季学期结束时,情况最糟糕。和

I was hospitalized.(75)
我住院了。

JEFFREY BROWN: Did either of you ever getto that point?(76)
杰弗里布朗:你们中的任何一个人都能达到那一点?

Yes?(77)
是?

VICTOR MORALES: Yes.(78)
VICTOR MORALES:是的。

I didn't want to live life without the flavor.(79)
我不想过没有味道的生活。

JEFFREY BROWN: For Emily, things came to ahead at home during her leave from MIT.(80)
杰弗里布朗:对于艾米丽,在她离开麻省理工学院期间,家里的事情变得很起劲。

EMILY TANG: I applied three times to returnbefore I finally got accepted to return. And,(81)
EMILY TANG:在我终于接受回来之前,我申请了三次回来。和,

you know, they were sort of like, why aren'tyou doing this? Why aren't you e-mailing this(82)
你知道,他们有点像,你为什么不这样做?你为什么不通过电子邮件发送

person? Why aren't you trying harder?(83)
人?你为什么不努力?

I was like, I can't do this anymore, and Iwalked out of the house. there was like a(84)
我想,我不能再这样做了,我走出了房子。有一个像

body of water like in the neighborhood. AndI kind of walked to the edge of it, and I(85)
像在附近的水体。我有点走到它的边缘,而我

was just kind of sitting there. And I wasthinking about -- I was thinking about killing(86)
只是坐在那里。我在想 - 我在想杀人

myself.(87)
我。

I saw my parents' car, like, driving by. Theywere driving around the neighborhood looking(88)
我看到我父母的车,就像驾车一样。他们在附近找车

for me. And after a couple hours, you know,a friend talked me down.(89)
为了我。几个小时后,你知道,一位朋友告诉我失望。

And the next day, we talked about it, andmy dad kind of hit the point. He was like:(90)
第二天,我们谈到了这件事,而我父亲也有这种看法。他喜欢:

"You know, I really think Emily does careabout this. It is her future, after all."(91)
“你知道,我真的认为艾米莉确实在意这一点,毕竟这是她的未来。”

And I think that was kind of the turning point.(92)
我认为那是一个转折点。

JEFFREY BROWN: That goes to a larger themein the Portraits of Resilience Project. In(93)
杰弗里布朗:这在复原力量项目的肖像中有了一个更大的主题。在

addition to therapy and medication, thesestudents found critical support from friends(94)
除了治疗和药物治疗外,这些学生还从朋友那里得到了重要的支持

and loved ones.(95)
和亲人。

EMILY TANG: I actually got really lucky inthat respect. I was in a living group. It's(96)
埃米莉唐:在这方面我真的很幸运。我在一个生活小组。它的

really small, really tight-knit. And two upperclassmenhad been through really similar experiences.(97)
非常小,非常紧密。两名高年级学生也经历了类似的经历。

And so I sort of had their experiences toguide me. I had friends to walk me to my appointments.(98)
所以我有种他们的经验来指导我。我有朋友带我去约会。

VICTOR MORALES: Through my depression, I builtup kind of like a collection of techniques.(99)
VICTOR MORALES:通过我的抑郁症,我建立起来就像一系列技术。

Like, how do I overcome anxiety? Like, whatdo I do if I feel anxiety? Sometimes, I would(100)
喜欢,我该如何克服焦虑?喜欢,如果我感到焦虑,我该怎么办?有时候,我会的

call a friend to get me out of bed.(101)
打电话给朋友让我起床。

Anyone, even people who are not at a campus,parents especially, can do something about(102)
任何人,尤其是不在校园的人,尤其是父母,都可以做些事情

this just by talking about it.(103)
这只是谈论它。

JEFFREY BROWN: All three are now eager toshare what they have learned about themselves,(104)
杰弗里布朗:三位现在都渴望分享他们对自己所了解的知识,

in the hope of helping others.(105)
希望能帮助别人。

VICTOR MORALES: I don't determine my beauty,my smartness, my success based on other people(106)
VICTOR MORALES:我不确定我的美丽,我的聪明,我的成功基于其他人

anymore. And that was one of those thingsthat I deconstructed.(107)
了。那是我解构的那些东西之一。

And, after that, it felt so natural to tellmy story. These weaknesses that I used to(108)
之后,讲述我的故事感觉很自然。我曾经的这些弱点

think were weaknesses are now strengths ofmine.(109)
认为弱点现在是我的强项。

HALEY COPE: In my community, I had these kindof conversations with people that went something(110)
HALEY COPE:在我的社区里,我和那些有所作为的人进行了这种对话

along the lines of, if you're going to mentalhealth and counseling, make sure that you(111)
如果你要进行心理健康和咨询,请确保你

don't say anything about suicide, becausethey're going to commit you, and then you're(112)
不要说任何关于自杀的事情,因为他们会承诺你,然后你就是

going to be forced to leave MIT, and thenyou're never going to come back.(113)
将被迫离开麻省理工学院,然后你永远不会回来。

And so I really wanted to address that kindof stigma. It's like saying, don't go to the(114)
所以我真的想要解决这种耻辱。这就像说,不要去

doctor after your heart attack, MIT is goingto kick you out.(115)
医生在心脏病发作后,麻省理工学院将会把你踢出去。

EMILY TANG: I started an antidepressant thatI think is working, finally. It's a process.(116)
EMILY TANG:最后,我开始了一种我认为正在工作的抗抑郁药。这是一个过程。

But I think I get a little better at learninghow to navigate my resources and how to get(117)
但我认为在学习如何浏览我的资源以及如何获取方面会更好一些

through the crisis with minimal damage andminimal impact on my life.(118)
通过危机最小而对我的生活影响最小的危机。

JEFFREY BROWN: Victor, what are your plansfor the future?(119)
杰弗里布朗:维克多,你对未来有什么打算?

VICTOR MORALES: There's so much I want todo. I want to go back to grad school. I care(120)
VICTOR MORALES:我有很多想做的事情。我想回到毕业学校。我在意

a lot about people from Latin America.(121)
很多关于拉丁美洲的人。

But I also want to learn more in math. So,I'm kind of like, which direction do I go?(122)
但我也想在数学中学到更多。所以,我有点喜欢,我该去哪个方向?

We will see what ends up falling into place.(123)
我们将看到最终落实到位。

EMILY TANG: I'm the president of my dorm,and I have been for the last year.(124)
埃米莉唐:我是我宿舍的主席,我去过一年。

I will openly talk about what I'm going through.I will tell people about the resources available,(125)
我会公开谈论我正在经历的事情。我会告诉人们有关可用的资源,

and I will offer myself.(126)
我会提供自己的。

JEFFREY BROWN: Haley has a coding job whenshe graduates. And there's a happy new twist(127)
杰弗里布朗:哈利毕业时有一项编码工作。而且有一个新的转折点

to her story.(128)
她的故事。

In her essay for "Portraits of Resilience,"she wrote of a new friend.(129)
在她的“韧性肖像”一文中,她写了一位新朋友。

HALEY COPE: In the story, I talk about meetinga friend in the psychiatric hospital. That(130)
哈里克:在故事中,我谈到在精神病医院与朋友见面。那

friend became my best friend, who became myboyfriend, who became my fiance, and in October(131)
朋友成为我最好的朋友,成为我的男朋友,成为我的未婚夫,并在十月

will be my husband.(132)
将成为我的丈夫。

Making that journey together has been a greatand difficult and process full of grace and(133)
共同完成这个旅程是一个伟大而艰难的过程,充满恩典

growth.(134)
生长。

JEFFREY BROWN: Emily Tang, Victor Morales,Haley Cope, thank you all very much.(135)
JEFFREY BROWN:Emily Tang,Victor Morales,Haley Cope,非常感谢你。

HALEY COPE: Thank you.(136)
HALEY COPE:谢谢。

VICTOR MORALES: Thank you.(137)
VICTOR MORALES:谢谢。

JEFFREY BROWN: A follow-up now from a leadingexpert on depression and anxiety in young(138)
杰弗里布朗:现在是来自一位青年抑郁和焦虑专家

people.(139)
人。

Alfiee Breland-Noble is associate professorof psychiatry at Georgetown University Medical(140)
Alfiee Breland-Noble是乔治敦大学医学院精神病学副教授

Center.(141)
中央。

Welcome to you.(142)
欢迎您。

ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE, Associate Professorof Psychiatry, Georgetown University Medical(143)
ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE,乔治敦大学医学院精神病学副教授

Center: Thank you.(144)
中心:谢谢。

JEFFREY BROWN: We have been watching an attemptto put a public face on this problem.(145)
杰弗里布朗:我们一直在试图公开表达这个问题。

So, I want to first ask you, how much doesthe stigma remain, and how much are young(146)
所以,我想先问你,耻辱是多少,还有多少是年轻的

people more willing to come forward and talkabout it?(147)
人们更愿意出面和谈论它吗?

ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE: So, I think there'salways going to be a stigma associated with(148)
ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE:所以,我认为总会有一种耻辱

mental illness. It's just a part of what itmeans for people who struggle with these illnesses.(149)
精神疾病。对于那些与这些疾病作斗争的人来说,这只是其意义的一部分。

I think what I have noticed in recent years,five to 10 years, is that millennials and(150)
我认为我近年来已经注意到了五到十年,那就是千禧一代和

the young people coming right behind themare far more likely and willing to talk about(151)
来到他们后面的年轻人更有可能并愿意谈论

these issues.(152)
这些问题。

I wouldn't say that it has completely eradicatedthe stigma, but, absolutely, young people(153)
我不会说它已经完全消除了耻辱,但绝对是年轻人

who are in college and right behind them,high schoolers, are far more likely to share(154)
谁在大学,并且在他们后面,高中生,更有可能分享

that these are the things they're strugglingwith.(155)
这些是他们正在努力的事情。

JEFFREY BROWN: How much do experts like yourselfunderstand why this seeming rise in anxiety(156)
杰弗里布朗:专家们喜欢自己多少能理解为什么这种看起来焦虑会增加

and depression and suicide? Why is that happening?(157)
和抑郁症和自杀?为什么会发生?

ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE: One factor is that,when you look at the young people we saw,(158)
ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE:其中一个因素是,当你看到我们看到的年轻人时,

you see racial diversity, which I think isamazing and wonderful, because these illness(159)
你看到种族多样性,我认为这是惊人的和美妙的,因为这些疾病

are so much more stigmatized in communitiesof color.(160)
在色彩社区中受到更多的侮辱。

I do think that people are more aware of whatsome of these issues are. They're aware of(161)
我认为人们更清楚这些问题是什么。他们知道

signs and symptoms. And what we find is that,for African-Americans and other communities(162)
体征和症状。我们发现,对于非裔美国人和其他社区

of color, people feel that they're exponentiallystigmatized, in addition to race, gender,(163)
人们认为,除了种族,性别,

sexual orientation or sexuality, by havinga label or being diagnosed with a mental illness.(164)
性取向或性行为,通过贴上标签或被诊断患有精神疾病。

And so we heard one young man say, the Latinobrother, when he talked about seeing these(165)
所以我们听到一位年轻人说,拉丁裔兄弟在谈到看到这些时说

things and thinking it was normal, at somepoint during his college career, someone enlightened(166)
事情,并认为这是正常的,在他大学生涯的某个时候,有人开悟

him and shared with him, these are signs andsymptoms of depression and anxiety, which(167)
他与他分享,这些都是抑郁和焦虑的体征和症状

a lightbulb was able to go off for him.(168)
一个灯泡能够为他消失。

JEFFREY BROWN: And in terms of factors behind,do we know more about the -- is it the genetics(169)
杰弗里布朗:就背后的因素而言,我们是否了解更多 - 是遗传学吗?

or the social behavior?(170)
或社交行为?

We heard some references to social media playinga new role.(171)
我们听到一些提及社交媒体的新角色。

ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE: Absolutely. Absolutely.(172)
ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE:绝对。绝对。

So, there's always going to be the hereditaryand the chemical and biological factors. I(173)
所以,总会存在遗传和化学和生物因素。一世

think what has changed for some of our youngpeople is social media.(174)
认为我们的一些年轻人的变化是社交媒体。

They are so much more inundated with all kindsof information, not all of it positive. The(175)
他们被各种各样的信息淹没,并非全部都是积极的。该

young people spoke about what it means tobe constantly comparing yourself.(176)
年轻人谈到了不断比较自己的意义。

JEFFREY BROWN: Right.(177)
杰弗里布朗:是的。

ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE: So you're always lookingat report cards, so to speak, in different(178)
ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE:所以你总是看着不同的报告卡

aspects of life.(179)
生活方面。

And I think it can absolutely have a negativeimpact on our young people.(180)
我认为这可能对我们的年轻人产生负面影响。

JEFFREY BROWN: How prepared or unpreparedare schools today?(181)
杰弗里布朗:今天的学校有多准备或准备不足?

ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE: So, I think, what Iwill say is, for colleges and universities,(182)
ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE:所以,我想我要说的是,对于大专院校来说,

they're trying. Right?(183)
他们正在尝试。对?

So, they don't always have the bandwidth andthe capacity to accommodate the sheer volume(184)
所以,他们并不总是有足够的带宽和容量来适应纯粹的音量

of students who are coming forward. Much moreso now than even 20 years ago, when I was(185)
的学生谁正在前进。现在甚至比20年前还要多

in school.(186)
在学校。

I think that what colleges and universitiesare trying to do is find extenders, find other(187)
我认为大学正试图做的是找到扩展,找到其他

ways to provide support for young people,so that everything is not funneling just through(188)
为年轻人提供支持的方式,以便一切都不漏洞

the counseling center.(189)
咨询中心。

And there are many opportunities that I thinkcolleges and universities have found to do(190)
我认为大学和大学找到很多机会

that, whether that's connecting with communitymembers who can also provide care, connecting(191)
那是否与那些也可以提供关怀的社区成员联系在一起

with different kinds of apps or other electronictypes of things to help our young people develop(192)
用不同类型的应用程序或其他电子类型的东西来帮助我们的年轻人发展

coping skills.(193)
应对技巧。

So it's not necessarily full care, per se.But it is providing a stopgap measure so that,(194)
所以它本身并不一定全面。但它提供了一个权宜之计,

in between visits or until a young personcan get a visit with a person in the counseling(195)
在访问之间或直到一个年轻人可以与一个人进行咨询

center, they have other ways that they cansupport themselves.(196)
中心,他们有其他方式可以支持自己。

JEFFREY BROWN: So, what kind of treatmentis available to young people now?(197)
杰弗里布朗:那么,现在年轻人有什么样的待遇?

ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE: So, what I always tellyoung people when I treat them is that there's(198)
ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE:所以,当我对待他们时,我总是告诉年轻人的是那里

the fast way, the slow way, and the best way.(199)
快速的方式,缓慢的方式和最好的方式。

And I think, when we think about fast andslow ways, medications, psychotropic medications,(200)
我认为,当我们思考快速和缓慢的方式,药物,精神药物,

psychiatrist medications are absolutely anoption for people.(201)
精神病医疗药物绝对是人们的选择。

I think, along with that, it's important tothink about the kinds of talk therapy that(202)
我想,除此之外,思考谈话疗法的种类也很重要

are available to people. And I always saythat the best way is to try to do a combination(203)
对人有用。我总是说最好的方法是尝试组合

of both, to the extent that a young personand their families feel comfortable with psychiatric(204)
两者之间,在一定程度上,一个年轻人和他们的家人对精神病患者感到舒适

medication.(205)
用药。

So, for talk therapy, we're thinking aboutthings like cognitive behavioral therapy,(206)
所以,对于谈话疗法,我们正在考虑诸如认知行为疗法,

motivational interviewing, teaching copingskills, and support groups.(207)
激励面试,教学应对技巧和支持团体。

And then we know what some of the differentkinds of anti-anxiety and antidepressants(208)
然后我们知道一些不同种类的抗焦虑和抗抑郁药

are that are available to young people.(209)
这些对年轻人是否可用?

JEFFREY BROWN: So, finally, what's the mostimportant thing you want young people to know(210)
杰弗里布朗:那么,最后,你想让年轻人知道的最重要的事情是什么

who perhaps are starting to experience anxietyand depression, and what -- and their parents?(211)
谁可能开始经历焦虑和抑郁,以及什么 - 和他们的父母?

What should they know?(212)
他们应该知道什么?

ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE: I think, for parentsand young people, they should absolutely know(213)
ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE:我认为,对于父母和年轻人,他们应该绝对知道

that they are not alone, that mental illnessdoesn't discriminate.(214)
他们并不孤单,精神疾病不会歧视。

It can impact anyone, and that there are peopleright around us, our loved ones, family members,(215)
它可以影响任何人,并且我们周围有人,我们的亲人,家人,

community members, church members, other peersat school, who are struggling with these issues.(216)
社区成员,教会成员,学校其他同行,他们正在为这些问题而奋斗。

And so it's really important for them to knowthey're not alone. There's help. And I tell(217)
所以让他们知道他们并不孤单是非常重要的。有帮助。我告诉

young people all the time two things: Takediets and breaks from social media.(218)
年轻人一直都有两件事:从社交媒体上进行饮食和休息。

JEFFREY BROWN: Take diets from social media.(219)
JEFFREY BROWN:从社交媒体获取饮食。

ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE: That's exactly right,diets and take a break from social media,(220)
ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE:这是完全正确的,饮食和社交媒体休息一下,

and reach out for help to people you feellike you can trust.(221)
并向你感到可以信任的人伸出援手。

JEFFREY BROWN: All right, Alfiee Breland-Nobleof Georgetown University, thank you very much.(222)
杰弗里布朗:好的,乔治敦大学的阿尔菲布雷兰诺贝尔非常感谢你。

ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE: Thank you.(223)
ALFIEE BRELAND-NOBLE:谢谢。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org