Sen. Risch: North Korea diplomacy going in the right direction
2018-06-12 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: As we reported, Washingtonlawmakers from both sides of the aisle raised(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:正如我们所报道的,来自过道两边的华盛顿立法者们提出了问题

concerns about what came out of PresidentTrump's meeting with the leader of North Korea.(2)
对特朗普总统与朝鲜领导人会晤的内容表示担忧。

This evening, I spoke with two key membersof the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.(3)
今天晚上,我与参议院外交委员会的两名主要成员进行了交谈。

And I started by asking Republican SenatorJames Risch if the U.S. can count on North(4)
我开始时问共和党参议员詹姆斯里什是否可以指望北方

Korea to fulfill its commitment.(5)
韩国履行其承诺。

SEN.(6)
SEN。

JAMES RISCH (R), Idaho: Well, I think it'sa little early to say that.(7)
JAMES RISCH(R),爱达荷州:嗯,我认为这么说有点早。

But, look, Judy, everything that's happenedso far is very positive.(8)
但是,看,朱迪,到目前为止发生的一切都非常积极。

It's going in the right direction; 120 daysago, we were headed down a very, very different(9)
它正朝着正确的方向发展; 120天前,我们走向了一个非常非常不同的领域

path.(10)
路径。

And this president needs to be given creditfor how he's been able to turn this thing(11)
这位总统需要被赋予他如何能够把这件事情给予信任

around.(12)
周围。

Certainly, Kim Jong-un made a choice thatwas a much better choice for him than the(13)
当然,金正恩对他来说是一个比他更好的选择

choices he had been making.(14)
他一直在做的选择。

But there is work to be done yet.(15)
但还有工作要做。

We know how to do this.(16)
我们知道如何做到这一点。

We have done a number of them, and I thinkthat the group at the State Department, at(17)
我们已经完成了其中的一些工作,我认为国务院的工作组,在

the White House are -- they are fully engagedalready.(18)
白宫是 - 他们已经完全投入使用。

They're drilling down into the details thatneed to be hammered out.(19)
他们正在深入探讨需要敲定的细节。

And I'm very comfortable with the way thisthing is going.(20)
而且我对这件事情的发展方式感到非常满意。

And I -- and the other good thing about thisis, is when we did the -- or not when we -- when(21)
而我和另外一件好事就是,当我们做 - 或不做 - 当我们做 - 时

President Obama did the Iran agreement, wewere left out of it.(22)
奥巴马总统执行了伊朗协议,我们被排除在外。

We were dismissed.(23)
我们被解雇了。

They were -- they treated us very dismissively.(24)
他们是 - 他们非常轻视我们对待我们。

And, as a result of that, it never got a votein the Senate.(25)
因此,它从未在参议院投票。

It wasn't submitted for a vote in the Senate,and we all know how it ended.(26)
它没有提交给参议院投票,我们都知道它是如何结束的。

It wasn't good.(27)
这不好。

JUDY WOODRUFF: So, is the Senate -- is theCongress definitely going to be involved in(28)
JUDY WOODRUFF:那么,参议院 - 国会肯定会参与其中

somehow signing off on this before it's allover?(29)
不知何故,在全部结束之前签署此协议?

SEN.(30)
SEN。

JAMES RISCH: Right.(31)
JAMES RISCH:对。

I have talked to the president, the vice president,the secretary of state on this very issue.(32)
在这个问题上,我曾与总统,副总统,国务卿谈过。

All three of them have told me independentlythat it is their intent to put this in such(33)
他们三人都独自告诉我,他们的意图是把这件事放在这样的地方

a form that it can be submitted, as the foundingfathers wanted to have done, as a treaty to(34)
这是一种可以像创始人所希望的那样提交的形式,作为一项条约

the United States Senate, and submitted fora vote in the United States Senate.(35)
美国参议院,并提交在美国参议院投票。

They're not pushing back on that.(36)
他们并没有反驳这一点。

That's the direction they want to go.(37)
这是他们想要走的方向。

Look, it's good for us and it's good for peopleon the other side of the agreement, because(38)
看,这对我们有好处,对协议另一端的人来说也很好,因为

then you have a binding agreement.(39)
那么你有一个有约束力的协议。

JUDY WOODRUFF: So, when President Trump saysthat Chairman Kim, I think in his words, is(40)
JUDY WOODRUFF:所以,当特朗普总统说,我认为金总统用他的话来说是

denuking the whole place, he said it's goingto start very quickly, are you confident of(41)
他说整个地方都很糟糕,它会很快开始,你对此有信心

that?(42)
那?

SEN.(43)
SEN。

JAMES RISCH: Well, look, this remains to beseen.(44)
JAMES RISCH:好的,看,这还有待观察。

We have a history that is not good along similarterms.(45)
我们有一段历史在类似条件上不好。

But, this time, they have not said that inresponse to a suggestion that they would get(46)
但是,这一次,他们没有回应他们会提出的建议

something for it.(47)
为它的东西。

So they're going a different direction.(48)
所以他们会走向不同的方向。

This whole thing, the ball was in Kim Jong-un'scourt, and he took it, and he is the one that(49)
这整件事情,球在金正恩的球场上,他拿走了,他就是那个

started this thing down the path.(50)
开始沿着这条路走下去。

So, look, they know what they have to do.(51)
所以,看,他们知道他们必须做什么。

We have been down this road with them before.(52)
我们之前和他们一起走过这条路。

The international community has told themwhat they have got to do.(53)
国际社会已经告诉他们他们必须做的事情。

And they are saying that that's what they'regoing to do.(54)
他们说这就是他们要做的。

Saying it is one thing.(55)
说这是一回事。

We're going to know very quickly, and thepresident has said that he will know very(56)
我们很快就会知道,总统说他会知道的

quickly whether or not they can make thishappen.(57)
很快他们是否能做到这一点。

JUDY WOODRUFF: One thing the president hassaid already is that what he calls war games,(58)
JUDY WOODRUFF:总统已经说过的一件事是,他称之为战争游戏,

joint military exercises with South Korea,are going to end for now.(59)
与韩国的联合军事演习现在将结束。

There's a little bit of confusion about that.(60)
对此有一些疑惑。

Vice President Pence talked about it todayat the Senate.(61)
宾夕法尼亚副总统今天在参议院讨论了这个问题。

But do you think it's a good idea?(62)
但是你认为这是一个好主意吗?

The president said today he's wanted all alongfor these exercises to stop.(63)
总统今天表示,他一直希望这些演习停止。

SEN.(64)
SEN。

JAMES RISCH: Yes, I have talked to both thepresident and the vice president about this(65)
JAMES RISCH:是的,我已经与总统和副总裁谈过这件事

today.(66)
今天。

And I think this is going to take some morenuancing.(67)
我认为这需要更多的细节。

When he said war games, I don't think he meantthat all military exercises with the South(68)
当他说战争游戏时,我认为他不认为所有军事演习都与南方有关

would be ended.(69)
将会结束。

But this is going to be a matter that they'regoing to refine during the negotiations.(70)
但这将是他们在谈判期间要完善的问题。

And we need to give the people who are negotiatingthis space to get where we all want to be(71)
我们需要让那些正在谈判这个空间的人们到达我们所希望的地方

on this.(72)
在这。

So, yes, you know, I know there's a lot ofdiscussion about statements that were made(73)
所以,是的,你知道,我知道有很多关于发言的讨论

on this side or that side.(74)
在这边或那边。

Let's all take a deep breath and say a prayerthat we're going to get to where we need to(75)
让我们都深吸一口气,说一声我们将要到达的地方

be with this thing.(76)
与这件事情在一起。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Two other quick things, Senator.(77)
JUDY WOODRUFF:另外两件事,参议员。

Are you comfortable with the fact that humanrights came up only briefly, tangentially(78)
对于人权只是短暂地提出的事实,你感到满意吗?

in these talks?(79)
在这些会谈中?

SEN.(80)
SEN。

JAMES RISCH: Look, we're negotiating rightnow on a matter that is of a serious nature(81)
JAMES RISCH:看,我们现在正在就一个严重问题进行谈判

to the entire world.(82)
到整个世界。

America has always been about human rights.(83)
美国一直是关于人权的。

We will always be about human rights.(84)
我们将始终关注人权。

We lead by example.(85)
我们以身作则。

Having said that, we also talk with alliesand enemies alike about this.(86)
话虽如此,我们也同盟友和敌人谈论此事。

But we do business with countries who I'mnot and most people aren't satisfied with(87)
但我们与那些不是我并且大多数人不满意的国家做生意

on human rights issues.(88)
关于人权问题。

This is something that is going to be gottento, I'm sure, at some point down the road.(89)
我敢肯定,这在某种程度上将会得到解决。

But, look, you got to walk before you run.(90)
但是,看,你必须在跑步之前走路。

And, right now, the very sensitive, importantmatter of denuclearization is what's on the(91)
而且,现在,无核化这个非常敏感,重要的问题就是这个问题

table that we're talking about.(92)
我们正在谈论的表格。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Finally, different topic.(93)
JUDY WOODRUFF:最后,不同的话题。

Are you comfortable with the president pullingthe U.S. out of the joint G7 communique, being(94)
对于总统将美国从G7联合公报中解救出来,你感到满意吗?

very critical of Canada, its leaders, theother members of the G7?(95)
非常批评加拿大,其领导人,G7的其他成员?

Is that what you think was the right move?(96)
这是你认为正确的举措吗?

SEN.(97)
SEN。

JAMES RISCH: Well, the president had goodreasons for what he did.(98)
JAMES RISCH:那么总统对他所做的事情有充分的理由。

And he is a tough negotiator, as you know.(99)
如你所知,他是一个艰难的谈判代表。

And he is not happy with the way we have beentreated with a lot of our negotiations.(100)
而且他对我们的谈判方式很不乐观。

And I think the frustration is boiling over.(101)
我认为这种挫败感正在沸腾。

But, look, this isn't a final thing.(102)
但是,看,这不是最后的事情。

This is not an ongoing thing.(103)
这不是一件持续的事情。

The people that he's talking to at G7, theseare friends of ours.(104)
他在G7与人交谈的人,这些人都是我们的朋友。

They're allies of ours.(105)
他们是我们的盟友。

Friends and allies and even siblings havedisagreements from time to time.(106)
朋友和盟友,甚至兄弟姐妹不时有分歧。

And whenever you are talking about money,which is what you're talking about when you're(107)
而当你谈论金钱时,这就是你在谈论的时候

talking about trade, it is always a difficultfamily discussion to have.(108)
谈论贸易,它总是一个困难的家庭讨论。

And that's what was going on there.(109)
那就是那里发生的事情。

These are going to be ongoing.(110)
这些将会持续进行。

We will get through this.(111)
我们会通过这个。

JUDY WOODRUFF: He's more critical of them,though, than he is of Chairman Kim.(112)
JUDY WOODRUFF:尽管如此,他对他们的批评远比他是Kim主席。

SEN.(113)
SEN。

JAMES RISCH: Well, that's a separate issueon the nuclear vs. the financial matters.(114)
JAMES RISCH:那么,这是关于核与财务问题的一个单独问题。

But he is very frustrated with the way wehave been treated as far as trade agreements(115)
但他对我们在贸易协议方面受到的待遇感到非常沮丧

in the past, and he's trying to do somethingabout it.(116)
在过去,他正在试图做一些事情。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Senator Jim Risch, we thankyou very much.(117)
JUDY WOODRUFF:参议员Jim Risch,我们非常感谢你。

SEN.(118)
SEN。

JAMES RISCH: Judy, thank you very having me.(119)
JAMES RISCH:朱迪,谢谢你非常爱我。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org