'That Moment When' a future civil rights lawyer learns the value of showing up
2018-10-09 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: This afternoon, we launchedThat Moment When, the "PBS NewsHour"' latest(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:今天下午,我们发布了“最新时刻”的“PBS NewsHour”

Facebook Watch show, a special video-on-demandsection of the social media site, appearing(2)
Facebook观看节目,社交媒体网站的特殊视频点播部分出现

every Tuesday at 3:00 p.m. and hosted by contributorSteve Goldbloom, the creator of our Brief(3)
每周二下午3:00,由撰稿人Steve Goldbloom主持,他是我们Brief的创建者

But Spectacular series.(4)
但壮观的系列。

This new series tells the behind-the-scenesstories of successful people at a pivotal(5)
这个新剧集讲述了成功人士的幕后故事

moment in their lives.(6)
他们生命中的那一刻。

In our debut episode, civil rights lawyerBryan Stevenson shares that moment when he(7)
在我们的首张插曲中,民权律师布莱恩史蒂文森分享了那一刻

decided to value redemption over revenge.(8)
决定重视赎回而不是复仇。

STEVE GOLDBLOOM: Can you describe the momentwhen you first visited death row and the experience(9)
STEVE GOLDBLOOM:你能描述一下你第一次参观死囚区和体验的那一刻

that that left you?(10)
那离开了你?

BRYAN STEVENSON, Founder, Equal Justice Initiative:I took a course that required me to spend(11)
BRYAN STEVENSON,平等司法倡议创始人:我参加了一门课程,要求我花钱

the month with an organization providing legalservices to people on death row.(12)
这个月有一个组织为死囚区的人们提供法律服务。

And that's what got me to death row.(13)
这就是让我走到死囚区的原因。

And I was completely unprepared.(14)
我完全没有准备好。

But they asked me to explain to somebody thathe's not at risk of execution anytime in the(15)
但是他们让我向某人解释他在任何时候都没有执行的风险

next year.(16)
明年。

That was my task.(17)
那是我的任务。

And I went to Georgia's death row.(18)
我去了格鲁吉亚的死囚区。

And I was so nervous and distraught, thatwhen this man walked in, I was a bit overwhelmed.(19)
我非常紧张和烦恼,当这个男人走进来时,我有点不知所措。

And what I remembered about him is just howburdened with chains he was.(20)
而我所记得的关于他的负担是多么沉重。

He had handcuffs on his wrists.(21)
他手腕上戴着手铐。

He had a chain around his waist.(22)
他的腰部有一条链子。

He had shackles on his ankles.(23)
他的脚踝上有镣铐。

It took them 10 minutes to unchain him.(24)
他们花了10分钟解开他。

And when they did, he walked over.(25)
当他们这样做时,他走了过来。

And I began to apologize.(26)
我开始道歉。

I said: "I'm sorry.(27)
我说:“我很抱歉。

I'm just a law student.(28)
我只是一名法学院学生。

I don't know much about the death penalty.(29)
我不太了解死刑。

I don't know much about criminal appeals andprocedure."(30)
我对刑事诉讼和程序了解不多。“

I then said:"They sent me down here to tellyou that you're not at risk of execution anytime(31)
然后我说:“他们派我来这里告诉你,你不会随时执行

in the next year."(32)
在明年。“

And I was surprised that, when I said that,the man said: "Wait, wait, wait.(33)
我很惊讶,当我这么说时,那个男人说:“等等,等等。

Say that again."(34)
再说一次。”

I said: "You're not at risk of execution anytimein the next year."(35)
我说:“你明年的任何时候都不会有执行的风险。”

And the man said: "Wait, wait.(36)
那人说:“等等,等等。

Say that again."(37)
再说一次。”

I said: "You're not at risk of execution anytimein the next year."(38)
我说:“你明年的任何时候都不会有执行的风险。”

And that's when this man grabbed my hands.(39)
就在这个男人抓住我的手的时候。

And he said: "Thank you.(40)
他说:“谢谢。

Thank you.(41)
谢谢。

Thank you."(42)
谢谢。”

He said: "You're the first person I have metin the two years I have been on death row(43)
他说:“你是我在死囚两年中遇到的第一个人

who's not a death row prisoner or death rowguard."(44)
谁不是死囚犯或死刑警卫。“

He said: "I have been talking to my wife andkids on the phone.(45)
他说:“我一直在和我的妻子和孩子通电话。

But I haven't let them come and visit, becauseI was afraid they would show up, and I would(46)
但是我没有让他们来参观,因为我害怕他们会出现,我愿意

have an execution date."(47)
有一个执行日期。“

He said: "Now, because of you, I'm going tosee my wife and I'm going to see my kids."(48)
他说:“现在,因为你,我会看到我的妻子,我会去见我的孩子。”

And I couldn't believe how, even in my ignorance,being proximate to someone, showing up for(49)
而且我无法相信,即使在我的无知中,接近某人,也是如此

someone, I couldn't believe the differencethat could make in someone's life.(50)
某个人,我无法相信某人生活中的差异。

JUDY WOODRUFF: It's worth watching the entireepisode.(51)
JUDY WOODRUFF:值得观看整集。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org