Why Jane Fonda is putting herself on the line to fight climate change
2019-11-07 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Finally tonight: Jane Fondahas been a household name for decades due(1)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):今晚终于来了:简·方达(Jane Fonda)几十年来一直是家喻户晓的名字

to her prolific work on screen and stage,and to her enduring activism as well.(2)
她在银幕和舞台上多产的作品,以及她持久的行动主义。

Her cause now?(3)
现在是她的事业吗?

Taking on climate change.(4)
应对气候变化。

JANE FONDA, Actor/Activist: You obviouslyknow what this is like, but I have never felt(5)
演员兼活动家JANE FONDA:您显然知道这是什么样,但我从未感到

it before.(6)
它之前。

WALTER MATTHAU, Actor: The winner is JaneFonda.(7)
沃尔特·马修(WALTER MATTHAU),演员:获奖者是简·方达(Jane Fonda)。

(CHEERING AND APPLAUSE)
JUDY WOODRUFF: Two Academy Awards, seven GoldenGlobes, a prime-time Emmy.(8)
JUDY WOODRUFF:两个奥斯卡金像奖,七个金球奖,黄金时段艾美奖。

The list goes on.(9)
清单继续。

From her start in 1960, on stage and thenon screen, Jane Fonda quickly won recognition(10)
从1960年创立之初,在舞台上和银幕上,简·方达(Jane Fonda)迅速获得认可

and stardom, movies from "Barefoot in thePark" and "Barbarella" "They Shoot Horses,(11)
和明星,来自“公园里的赤脚”和“芭芭拉”的电影,“他们射击马匹,

Don't They?", "Klute," and "Coming Home."(12)
他们不是吗?”,“克鲁特”和“回家”。

She became a household name.(13)
她成了家喻户晓的名字。

JANE FONDA: I'm so happy.(14)
简·芳达:我很高兴。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Followed by "The China Syndrome,""On Golden Pond," and "9 to 5."(15)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):随后是“中国综合症”,“在金塘上”和“ 9比5”。

After a break in the '90s, she relaunchedher career in film, on stage and TV.(16)
在90年代休假之后,她重新开始了在电影,舞台和电视上的事业。

LILY TOMLIN, Actress: We made a hell of anaccident, didn't we?(17)
莉莉·汤姆林,女演员:我们出了车祸,不是吗?

JANE FONDA: We did.(18)
简·芳达:我们做到了。

JUDY WOODRUFF: As Grace Hanson in her currentNetflix comedy series "Grace and Frankie"(19)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):作为格蕾丝·汉森(Grace Hanson)在她当前的Netflix喜剧系列《格蕾丝与弗兰基》中

with Lily Tomlin.(20)
与莉莉·汤姆林(Lily Tomlin)。

But all the while, activism has been threadedthrough Fonda's career, civil rights, women's(21)
但一直以来,维达的职业生涯,公民权利,妇女权利都贯穿了行动主义

rights, the Vietnam War.(22)
权利,越南战争。

When she was photographed in Hanoi in 1972sitting on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft(23)
当她于1972年在河内被拍到坐在北越防空上的照片时

gun, detractors called her Hanoi Jane andaccused her of undermining U.S. troops.(24)
持枪,毁者称她为河内简,并指责她破坏美军。

Years later, she apologized and went on toprotest the Iraq War and other causes.(25)
多年后,她道歉并继续抗议伊拉克战争和其他原因。

Today the now 81-year-old actress is stillat it.(26)
时至今日,现年81岁的女演员仍然在场。

She moved to Washington to focus on civildisobedience around climate change, inspired(27)
受到启发后,她移居华盛顿,致力于应对气候变化的公民抗命

by 16-year-old activist Greta Thunberg.(28)
由16岁的激进主义者Greta Thunberg创作。

WOMAN: Love you, Jane.(29)
女人:爱你,简。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Fonda has been arrested fourtimes in the last four weeks in what's become(30)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):Fonda在过去四周内被捕四次

known as Fire Drill Friday.(31)
被称为消防演习星期五。

JANE FONDA: What we have to do is unprecedented.(32)
简·芳达:我们要做的是前所未有的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: She's pushing for legislationadvocated by Democratic Party progressives.(33)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):她正在推动民主党进步主义者提倡的立法。

JANE FONDA: The Green New Deal is going todo more than the New Deal did.(34)
简·芳达:绿色新政将比新政做得更多。

It's going to bring everyone to a fair playingfield.(35)
这将带给所有人公平的竞争环境。

We're going to make it happen.(36)
我们将实现这一目标。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Jane Fonda, welcome to the"NewsHour."(37)
JUDY WOODRUFF:Jane Fonda,欢迎来到“新闻时报”。

JANE FONDA: It's good to be with you, Judy.(38)
简·芳达:很高兴与您在一起,朱迪。

We have known each other a long time.(39)
我们认识很久了。

JUDY WOODRUFF: We have.(40)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫:我们有。

We're so glad that you're here.(41)
我们很高兴您在这里。

So, arrested four times in the last month,spent a night in jail, but not your first(42)
因此,在上个月被捕了四次,在监狱里住了一晚,但不是第一次

time.(43)
时间。

JANE FONDA: No, I was arrested in Clevelandin 1970.(44)
简·芳达:不,我是1970年在克利夫兰被捕的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And this time in Washington,in a Washington, D.C. jail.(45)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):这次是在华盛顿特区的华盛顿监狱中。

What was it like?(46)
那是什么感觉

JANE FONDA: In Cleveland, all the people thatwere in jail were white, and they were all(47)
简·芳达:在克利夫兰,所有入狱的人都是白人,他们都是

black here.(48)
黑色在这里。

And it was pretty clear that they were inthere because of poverty and racism and what(49)
很明显,他们在那里是因为贫穷和种族主义,还有什么

grows out of that, mental health issues.(50)
随之而来的是心理健康问题。

I was treated fine, you know?(51)
我受到很好的待遇,知道吗?

But it made me very sad.(52)
但这让我非常难过。

JUDY WOODRUFF: What is driving you to do this?(53)
JUDY WOODRUFF:是什么促使您这样做?

You speak about the climate crisis.(54)
您谈论的是气候危机。

What was it that sparked this?(55)
是什么激发了这个?

JANE FONDA: You know, I made all the personallifestyle choices, drive electric car, eat(56)
简·芳达:你知道,我做了所有个人生活方式的选择,开电动车,吃饭

less meat, eat less fish, get rid of single-useplastic, and all that.(57)
少吃肉,少吃鱼,摆脱一次性塑料等等。

And that's good and it's important, but it'snot enough.(58)
那很好,很重要,但这还不够。

And I knew what I had to do.(59)
我知道我该怎么做。

I had to get out of my comfort zone and putmyself on the line, in coordination with the(60)
我必须离开自己的舒适区,并与

young student climate strikers, the SunriseMovement and those kids.(61)
年轻的学生气候罢工者,日出运动和那些孩子。

JUDY WOODRUFF: What's different about theseyoung activists and what they're saying?(62)
JUDY WOODRUFF:这些年轻的激进主义者有什么不同,他们在说什么?

JANE FONDA: Well, their lives are on the line.(63)
简·芳达(JANE FONDA):好吧,他们的生活即将上线。

I mean, they're -- they recognize that olderpeople, we're robbing them of a future that's(64)
我的意思是,他们-他们认识到老年人,我们在抢劫他们的未来

livable, and we don't seem to be paying thoughattention.(65)
宜居,而且我们似乎并没有注意。

Kids have been out front of this movementfor a long time, you know, the Standing Rock(66)
孩子们很久以来就一直站在这项运动的前面

young people and so many of them.(67)
年轻人等等。

But there's something about Greta Thunberg.(68)
但是Greta Thunberg有点。

It's the fact that she's on the spectrum.(69)
她在谱系上是事实。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Right, autism spectrum.(70)
JUDY WOODRUFF:是的,自闭症谱系。

JANE FONDA: Yes, Asperger's, and that givesher a focus.(71)
简·芳达(JANE FONDA):是的,阿斯伯格(Asperger),这使她更加专注。

She doesn't get distracted.(72)
她不会分心。

And when I read what happened to her -- shehad been studying in climate.(73)
当我读到她发生了什么事时-她一直在学习气候。

And when she read the Intergovernmental Panelon Climate Change that said, we have very(74)
当她读到政府间气候变化专门委员会的发言时,我们非常

little time left, and this is what we hadto do, and then she looked around, and nobody(75)
剩下的时间很少了,这就是我们要做的,然后她环顾四周,没有人

was behaving the way they should be behaving.(76)
表现出他们应该表现的方式。

I mean, she said, if this is happening, peoplewouldn't be talking about anything else.(77)
她说,我的意思是,如果发生这种情况,人们将不会谈论其他任何事情。

And she was traumatized and stopped eatingand speaking.(78)
她受了创伤,停止进食和说话。

And that really got to me.(79)
这真的让我知道。

I knew that what she had seen was the truth.(80)
我知道她所看到的是事实。

JUDY WOODRUFF: At the same time, what do yousay to the skeptics, I mean, the people who(81)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):同时,您对那些怀疑论者说什么?

are outright saying, this is hysteria, wecan't move this far this fast, we need to(82)
坦率地说,这是歇斯底里,我们不能这么快地走这么远,我们需要

be sensible about this, yes, climate is anissue, but...(83)
对此明智,是的,气候是一个问题,但是...

JANE FONDA: There's only one way to be sensible,and that is to read -- is to study the science.(84)
简·芳达(JANE FONDA):明智的方法只有一种,那就是阅读-学习科学。

The scientists know.(85)
科学家们知道。

And just the other day, 11,000 of them issueda warning, saying there is no question that(86)
就在前几天,其中有11,000人发出警告,说毫无疑问,

the Earth and its population is facing a direcatastrophe.(87)
地球及其人口正面临着巨大的灾难。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Even with that, just this week,President Trump formally pulls out of the(88)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):即使如此,就在本周,特朗普总统正式退出了选举。

Paris climate...(89)
巴黎气候...

JANE FONDA: Well, I mean, he's the fossilfuel president.(90)
简·芳达:恩,我的意思是,他是化石燃料总裁。

His Cabinet is a fossil fuel Cabinet.(91)
他的内阁是化石燃料内阁。

He's -- they have been bought off by the fossilfuel industry, which tends to do that, and(92)
他-它们已被化石燃料行业收购,而化石燃料行业倾向于这样做。

subverts our democracy in the process.(93)
在这个过程中破坏了我们的民主。

But our goal here with our Fire Drill Fridaysis not to try to convince those kind of people.(94)
但是,我们在周五举行的消防演习的目的不是要说服这类人。

We're trying to get people who are not usedto going into the streets and engaging in(95)
我们正在努力吸引不习惯上街和参与的人们

civil disobedience and risking getting arrests.(96)
公民抗命和冒被捕的风险。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Think back to Vietnam.(97)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫:回想一下越南。

How is this period of activism different fromback then?(98)
当时的行动主义与当时有何不同?

What's changed?(99)
有什么变化?

JANE FONDA: What's changed is that everyone,not just our soldiers who are in a country(100)
简·冯达(JANE FONDA):发生的变化是,每个人,而不仅仅是一个国家的士兵

fighting the people in that country, but theentire world is being threatened.(101)
与那个国家的人民作战,但整个世界都受到威胁。

It's an existential umbrella hanging overeverything.(102)
这是一把悬挂在所有事物上的生存伞。

That's what's changed.(103)
那就是改变了。

This has never happened before in the historyof civilization.(104)
这在文明史上从未发生过。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And that's what's driven JaneFonda to move to Washington and do what...(105)
JUDY WOODRUFF:这就是促使Jane Fonda搬到华盛顿去做...

(CROSSTALK)
JANE FONDA: I mean, if you're a celebrity,and you're almost 82 years old, and you have(106)
简·芳达(JANE FONDA):我的意思是,如果您是名人,并且已经快82岁了,

young grandchildren, I mean, I don't know.(107)
年幼的孙子们,我的意思是,我不知道。

I don't know what would happen to me if Ididn't do it.(108)
我不知道如果不这样做会怎样。

I -- what would I think about myself?(109)
我-我会如何看待自己?

JUDY WOODRUFF: We said it.(110)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫:我们说了。

You are an 81-year-old woman who still hasa phenomenally successful career in entertainment(111)
您是一位81岁的女性,仍然在娱乐领域取得了巨大的成功

and television.(112)
和电视。

You're as active as anybody could be in theenvironmental movement.(113)
您和环境运动中的任何人一样活跃。

Is there a message for older women today?(114)
今天有消息要给老年妇女吗?

JANE FONDA: When you're older, what have yougot to lose?(115)
简·芳达(JANE FONDA):当您长大时,您会失去什么?

You're not in the marketplace for some guywho's scared of a strong woman, so you can(116)
您不在某个害怕一个坚强女人的男人的市场上,所以您可以

rise to yourself and become who you are meantto be, and you can be brave.(117)
振作起来,成为自己注定要成为的人,并且你可以勇敢。

I mean, there are older people with gray hairout there every Friday that get arrested with(118)
我的意思是,每个星期五都有一些头发白发的老年人被捕

me that are just so great.(119)
我真是太好了。

And some of them are nuns, and some of themare rabbis, and some of them just people who(120)
其中一些是修女,一些是拉比,有些只是那些

have come from different parts of the UnitedStates.(121)
来自美国的不同地区。

And they're old, and it's just beautiful.(122)
而且它们很老,而且很漂亮。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And is there more -- you thinkthere's more acceptance of that today than(123)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):还有更多吗?

there used to be?(124)
这里曾经有?

JANE FONDA: There's always been.(125)
简·芳达:一直都有。

Older people have always been -- older womenhave always tended to be the bravest.(126)
老年人一直都是-老年人总是最勇敢。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And so what's your messageto other women who are out there wondering,(127)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):那么,您对其他想知道的女性有什么信息,

should I step into this or that, that I havebeen afraid to get involved in?(128)
我应该介入我害怕参与的那个或那个吗?

JANE FONDA: Well, one of my purposes withFire Drill Friday is to show people the new(129)
简·冯达(JANE FONDA):好吧,我在《消防演习》星期五的目的之一就是向人们展示新的

normal.(130)
正常。

This is the kind of thing that has to becomenormal, given what is going to have to happen.(131)
鉴于必须发生的事情,这是必须变得正常的事情。

No matter who we elect in November, no matterhow progressive and brave they are, it won't(132)
无论我们在11月选出谁,无论他们有多进步和勇敢,都不会

work unless we are going to hold their feetto the fire.(133)
除非我们要站稳脚跟,否则我们将继续工作。

Back in the -- during the New Deal, FranklinDelano Roosevelt, he said to the people who(134)
回到新政时期,富兰克林·德拉诺·罗斯福(Franklin Delano Roosevelt)对那些

were in the streets rioting and demandingthat he help them rise out of despair, because(135)
在街上骚动,并要求他帮助他们摆脱绝望,因为

they were starving and they were so poor,and he said: I agree with you.(136)
他们挨饿了,他们是如此贫穷,他说:我同意你的观点。

Now go out and make me do it.(137)
现在出去,让我去做。

And whether it's Obama or Jerry Brown, somany progressive politicians say to people:(138)
无论是奥巴马还是杰里·布朗,许多进步的政治家对人们说:

Make me do it.(139)
让我做。

Make me do it.(140)
让我做。

So, that means they can throw up their handsand say: Look, it's not my fault.(141)
因此,这意味着他们可以举手说:看,这不是我的错。

Look what the constituents are making me do.(142)
看看选民正在让我做什么。

We have to be in the streets and shuttingdown governments, if necessary, not just at(143)
我们必须走上街头,并在必要时关闭政府,而不仅仅是在

the federal level, but state governments,local governments, town councils.(144)
联邦一级,但州政府,地方政府,镇议会。

We have to be very brave.(145)
我们必须非常勇敢。

And, for 40 years, we have marched and ralliedand written and spoken, and not enough has(146)
而且,四十年来,我们进行了游行,集会,写作和口语,而

happened.(147)
发生了

So we have to up the ante a little bit andrisk getting arrested through civil disobedience.(148)
因此,我们必须加注一点赌注,否则就有可能因公民抗命而被逮捕。

But we have to not be afraid.(149)
但是我们不必害怕。

And we have to see this as the way good citizensof the United States need to act.(150)
我们必须将其视为美国好公民采取行动的方式。

We need to be in the streets making our demandsheard.(151)
我们需要在大街上使我们的要求得到表达。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Jane Fonda in...(152)
JUDY WOODRUFF:Jane Fonda在...

JANE FONDA: Judy Woodruff.(153)
简·芳达:朱迪·伍德拉夫(Judy Woodruff)。

(LAUGHTER)
JUDY WOODRUFF: ... in Washington, making thecase to fight climate change.(154)
JUDY WOODRUFF:...在华盛顿,为应对气候变化提供了理由。

Jane Fonda, thank you very much.(155)
简·方达(Jane Fonda),非常感谢。

JANE FONDA: Thank you, Judy.(156)
简·芳达:谢谢朱迪。

It's good to see you.(157)
很高兴见到你。

Thanks...(158)
谢谢...

JUDY WOODRUFF: And you.(159)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫:还有你。

JANE FONDA: ... for having me.(160)
简·芳达:...因为有我。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And we heard her say, whathave you got to lose?(161)
JUDY WOODRUFF:我们听到她说,您要失去什么?


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org