‘Life-threatening’ storm surge expected as Hurricane Michael approaches Florida
2018-10-09 00:00:00


Our other major story tonight is HurricaneMichael.(1)
我们今晚的另一个重要故事是飓风迈克尔。

It is roaring toward the Florida Panhandleand rapidly growing into a major threat.(2)
它向佛罗里达州的狭长地带咆哮,并迅速成长为一个主要的威胁。

Landfall is expected tomorrow, possibly nearPanama City, and 180,000 people are now under(3)
预计将于明天登陆,可能在巴拿马城附近,现在有180,000人

evacuation orders.(4)
疏散命令。

So far, Florida, Alabama and Georgia havedeclared emergencies.(5)
到目前为止,佛罗里达州,阿拉巴马州和佐治亚州已宣布紧急情况。

William Brangham takes it from there.(6)
威廉布兰汉姆从那里接过它。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: That's right, Judy.(7)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:没错,朱迪。

In advance of Hurricane Michael, the presidenttoday approved an emergency declaration for(8)
在飓风迈克尔之前,总统今天批准了紧急声明

Florida that authorizes federal assistancefor preparations and disaster relief.(9)
佛罗里达州授权联邦援助准备和救灾。

For more on this storm, I'm joined now byKen Graham, director of the National Hurricane(10)
关于这场风暴的更多信息,我现在加入了国家飓风主任肯·格雷厄姆

Center, based in Miami.(11)
中心,总部设在迈阿密。

Mr. Graham, thank you very much for beinghere.(12)
格雷厄姆先生,非常感谢你来到这里。

Can you just give us the latest on this storm?(13)
你能告诉我们这场风暴的最新情况吗?

KEN GRAHAM, Director, National Hurricane Center:Yes, we just had the latest information, and(14)
国家飓风中心主任KEN GRAHAM:是的,我们刚收到最新信息

now we're at Category 3, winds 120 miles anhour with this system, so some strengthening,(15)
现在我们处于第3类,用这个系统每小时蜿蜒120英里,所以有些强化,

as forecast.(16)
作为预测。

We're already about 270 miles south-southwestof Apalachicola, moving north at 12 miles(17)
我们已经在阿巴拉契科拉西南偏西270英里处向北移动了12英里

an hour.(18)
一小时。

You can see a very healthy system with theeye in the center and some convection, so(19)
你可以看到一个非常健康的系统,眼睛在中心,有些对流,所以

really looking at a system that is large.(20)
真的在看一个很大的系统。

And you are already starting to see some ofthese rain bands work their way northward(21)
而且你已经开始看到其中一些雨带向北行进了

in the Gulf of Mexico.(22)
在墨西哥湾。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: And your sense right now,the track is still that it's likely to hit(23)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:现在你的感觉,赛道仍然很可能会被击中

somewhere in the Northern Panhandle, aroundPanama City?(24)
在北潘汉德尔的某个地方,巴拿马城周围?

KEN GRAHAM: Yes, that's what it looks like.(25)
KEN GRAHAM:是的,这就是它的样子。

And a lot of the messaging that we're talkingabout is also about the size.(26)
我们谈论的很多消息也与大小有关。

So you're looking at landfall tomorrow afternoon,right -- right on the upper portion of the(27)
所以你明天下午看着登陆,右边 - 右上角

Gulf Coast here in the Florida Panhandle.(28)
佛罗里达州狭长地带的墨西哥湾沿岸。

But this is an important point here.(29)
但这是一个重要的观点。

Look at the size of the winds.(30)
看风的大小。

This is the tropical-storm-force winds reallylooking about 185 miles away from the center;(31)
这是热带风暴强风,真正看起来距离中心185英里;

40 miles away from the center is the hurricane-forcewinds.(32)
距离中心40英里的地方是飓风。

So this is not just a center.(33)
所以这不仅仅是一个中心。

And it's really outside the cone, these impacts.(34)
它实际上是在锥体之外,这些影响。

This is a large swathe of winds making itsway northward.(35)
这是一大片风向北行进。

And some of that could -- these rain bandscould even arrive as early as tonight.(36)
其中一些可能 - 这些雨带甚至可以在今晚到达。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: I understand that Floridais undergoing what's known as a king tide(37)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:我知道佛罗里达正在经历所谓的国王潮流

right now.(38)
马上。

Can you explain what that is and why we wouldcare about that with regards to storm surge?(39)
你能解释一下这是什么以及为什么我们会关注风暴潮?

KEN GRAHAM: Yes, really, some of that tidegoing on just adds some more water to the(40)
KEN GRAHAM:是的,真的,其中一些潮流正在增加更多的水

whole situation, because when we really lookat this, we have the rainfall threat, of course,(41)
整个情况,因为当我们真正看到这一点时,我们会有降雨威胁,当然,

that we have been looking at, but look atthese values related to your question.(42)
我们一直在关注,但请查看与您的问题相关的这些值。

I mean, it's an amazing amount of water, life-threateningsituation when it comes to the water.(43)
我的意思是,当涉及到水时,这是一个惊人的水量,危及生命的情况。

So, if you take in those tides, which arealready a few feet above what they should(44)
所以,如果你接受那些已经比他们应该的高出几英尺的潮汐

be, and then you add the storm surge on topof that, both of those numbers combined nine(45)
是的,然后你加上风暴潮,这两个数字合计九

to 13 feet of storm surge.(46)
到13英尺的风暴潮。

That inundation above ground, that's absolutely,completely life-threatening, and not just(47)
在地面上淹没,这绝对是完全威胁生命的,而不仅仅是

around the center and to the right side, faraway.(48)
在中心周围和右侧,很远。

Look at Cedar Key, six to nine feet, downtowards Crystal River, four to six feet.(49)
看看Cedar Key,六到九英尺,向着Crystal River,四到六英尺。

As far away as Tampa, you could see areasof two to four feet.(50)
远在坦帕,你可以看到2到4英尺的区域。

And even Pensacola, you could see those values,so a very life-threatening situation when(51)
即使是彭萨科拉,你也可以看到这些价值观,所以这是一个非常危及生命的情况

it comes to the water.(52)
它来到了水中。

And, by the way, 50 percent of the fatalitiesin a tropical system is actually the storm(53)
而且,顺便说一下,热带系统中50%的死亡事故实际上就是暴风雨

surge.(54)
浪涌。

So that's what we need to make sure peopleare safe from, out of those risk zones.(55)
这就是我们需要确保人们在这些风险区域之外的安全。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: I saw on the earlier mapthat you were showing simply the size of this.(56)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:我在之前的地图上看到你只是显示了它的大小。

And this is likely to carry across the SoutheasternUnited States as the week progresses; is that(57)
随着一周的进展,这很可能随着美国东南部的到来而发生;就是它

right?(58)
对?

KEN GRAHAM: Yes.(59)
KEN GRAHAM:是的。

And that -- it's an important point that youmake there, because it's a situation that(60)
而且 - 这是你在那里做的重要一点,因为这是一种情况

you have these large winds, and you also havethe rainfall.(61)
你有这么大的风,你也有降雨。

So all that rain could actually start saturatingthe soil.(62)
所以所有下雨都可以开始使土壤饱和。

So, even after landfall, you know, lookingat a very powerful hurricane, you're still,(63)
因此,即使登陆后,你知道,看着一场非常强大的飓风,你仍然是,

in Georgia, a tropical storm.(64)
在格鲁吉亚,一个热带风暴。

Look at this, in the Carolinas, still a tropicalstorm.(65)
看看这个,在卡罗莱纳州,仍然是一个热带风暴。

So, if you take all that rain, plus that wind,you are going to see power outages very devastating(66)
所以,如果你承受所有下雨,加上风,你会看到停电非常具有破坏性

right along the actual coast of the Panhandleof Florida.(67)
沿着佛罗里达州Panhandle的实际海岸。

But some of those power outages could actuallyspread to Georgia, maybe even the Carolinas(68)
但其中一些停电事实上可能会蔓延到格鲁吉亚,甚至可能是卡罗莱纳州

with time, because saturated soil, and thewind, you start knocking down trees and power(69)
随着时间的推移,因为饱和的土壤和风,你开始砍倒树木和力量

lines.(70)
线。

We got to get people ready.(71)
我们必须让人们做好准备。

Some of these power outages could last wellmore than a week.(72)
其中一些停电可能持续一周以上。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: And, lastly, your senseis that this forecast is pretty solid now.(73)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:最后,你的感觉是这个预测现在非常可靠。

You don't see any real change in its track?(74)
你没有看到它的轨道有任何真正的变化?

KEN GRAHAM: No, we really don't at this point.(75)
KEN GRAHAM:不,我们现在还没有。

I mean, you're looking at the satellite.(76)
我的意思是,你正在看卫星。

Every -- the forecast is really -- reallyon track, not only with the intensity, but(77)
每一个 - 预测真的 - 真的在轨道上,不仅仅是强度,而且

also with the track.(78)
也跟着赛道。

And it's interesting with the storm surge.(79)
风暴潮也很有趣。

Small changes in these systems can make abig difference on the ground.(80)
这些系统的微小变化可以在实地产生重大影响。

But, as a result, we really need everybodyready in these areas.(81)
但是,结果,我们真的需要在这些领域做好准备。

And if you think about preparedness, you'rereally going to start seeing those tropical-storm-force(82)
如果你考虑准备,你真的会开始看到那些热带风暴力量

winds arriving tonight.(83)
今晚到来的风。

Some of the higher tides already arriving,so people need to wrap up their preparedness(84)
一些较高的潮汐已经到来,所以人们需要结束他们的准备

and be in a safe place by tonight.(85)
今晚到了安全的地方。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: All right, Ken Graham atthe National Hurricane Center, thank you so(86)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:好吧,肯·格雷厄姆在国家飓风中心,谢谢你

much.(87)
许多。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org