Talking about race with your own mom can be hard. Here's why it's worth it
2018-05-15 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Later this month, Starbuckswill close its more than 8,000 coffee shops(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:本月晚些时候,星巴克将关闭其8000多家咖啡店

for an afternoon of anti-bias training.(2)
一个反偏向训练的下午。

The aim is to raise their sensitivity of theemployees around race and ethnicity, after(3)
之后,我们的目标是提高员工对种族和族裔的敏感度

last month's episode at a Philadelphia shopwhere the police were called about two black(4)
上个月的一个费城商店里,警察被告知两个黑人

men simply sitting and waiting.(5)
男人只是坐着等着。

Talks on the subject are always sensitive.(6)
有关这个问题的谈话总是很敏感。

And tonight, writer Ijeoma Oluo shares herHumble Opinion on why that talk can be so(7)
今晚,作家Ijeoma Oluo就她为什么这样说可以如此分享她的拙见

fraught, even with one's own mother.(8)
充满了,甚至与自己的母亲在一起。

IJEOMA OLUO, Author, "So You Want to TalkAbout Race": Here's the thing about my mom.(9)
IJEOMA OLUO,作者,“所以你想谈论种族”:这是关于我妈妈的事情。

My mom, who is white, is the kindest, mostgenerous person I have ever known.(10)
我的母亲是白人,是我所认识的最善良,最慷慨的人。

But she's also exhausting.(11)
但她也很累。

She's a bundle of whimsy and emotion, andshe doesn't always think before she speaks.(12)
她是一群奇思妙想和情感的人,在她讲话之前她并不总是想。

So, when she left me a voice-mail saying thatshe'd had an epiphany about race, and I should(13)
所以,当她给我留言时,她说她对比赛有了一个顿悟,我应该

call her back right away, I really, really,really didn't want to do that.(14)
马上给她回电话,我真的,真的不想那么做。

Don't get me wrong.(15)
不要误解我的意思。

I think I talk about race every day, as anactivist and educator.(16)
我想我每天都会谈论比赛,作为一名活动家和教育家。

And while I had noticed that my work on racehad started to build some awkward distance(17)
虽然我注意到我在比赛中的工作开始造成一些尴尬的距离

between my mom and me, I still didn't wantto talk about race with her.(18)
在我妈妈和我之间,我仍然不想和她谈论种族问题。

I mean, she's my mom.(19)
我的意思是,她是我的妈妈。

It's personal and awkward, like talking toyour mom about sex.(20)
这是个人和尴尬的,就像谈论你的妈妈关于性的东西。

Turns out I didn't need to worry about whetherto call her back, because, like many moms,(21)
原来,我不必担心是否要回她,因为像许多妈妈一样,

she immediately called me back, and kept callinguntil I answered the phone.(22)
她立即​​打电话给我,并一直打电话直到我接电话。

The conversation was as bad as I had feared,maybe worse.(23)
谈话和我担心的一样糟糕,可能更糟糕。

She'd made a joke at work that had to do withrace, not a racist joke, but one that was(24)
她在与工作有关的工作上讲了一个笑话,不是种族主义笑话,而是一个笑话

more a joke for the black community.(25)
更多的是为黑人社区开玩笑。

And a black colleague had challenged her:"What do you know about being black?"(26)
一位黑人同事向她提出质疑:“你对黑色了解多少?”

Well, my mom was pretty indignant at first.(27)
那么,我妈妈起初很气愤。

"He doesn't know me.(28)
“他不认识我。

He doesn't know I raised three black kids."(29)
他不知道我养了三个黑人孩子。“

I was cringing as she said this to me.(30)
当她对我说这件事时,我很c c。

Had she not read my work?(31)
如果她没有阅读我的作品?

And then came her epiphany.(32)
然后她突然来了。

She realized that her co-worker must faceso much racism as a black man that he couldn't(33)
她意识到她的同事必须像黑人那样面对种族歧视,他不能这样做

tell who the good white people were and that,if she were in his shoes, she'd probably be(34)
告诉谁是好白种人,如果她穿着鞋子,她可能会是

angry all the time too.(35)
一直都很生气。

That was this whole epiphany.(36)
这是整个顿悟。

She had decided that, the next day, she wasgoing to march over to her co-worker and explain(37)
她已经决定,第二天,她要去和她的同事解释

that she had raised three black kids, so shegot it.(38)
她已经养了三个黑人孩子,所以她明白了。

I literally shouted "Nooooo," like peopledo in action movies when they try to stop(39)
我从字面上大喊“Nooooo”,就像人们在试图阻止动作片时所做的一样

their friends from getting into the car thatis rigged with explosives.(40)
他们的朋友进入装有炸药的汽车。

Then I took a deep breath.(41)
然后我深吸了一口气。

I tried to explain that being a white womanwho loves black people, who has even given(42)
我试图解释说,作为一个热爱黑人的白人女性,他们甚至都是这样

birth to black people, is still very differentfrom living as a black person and experiencing(43)
出生于黑人,与黑人生活和体验仍然非常不同

firsthand the full force of a white societyevery day of your life.(44)
亲身体验每一天白人社会的全部力量。

She asked if she at least got credit for doingblack hair for all those years.(45)
她问她是否至少因为这么多年来黑头发而获得信誉。

I said no.(46)
我说不。

It was a long conversation, and, oh, was itpainful.(47)
这是一个长时间的谈话,而且,它是痛苦的。

But it opened up a new way of seeing eachother.(48)
但它开创了一种互相看待的新方式。

So, as awful as it was, I'm glad the conversationhappened.(49)
所以,尽管很糟糕,但我很高兴谈话发生了。

It is in our conversations about race andracism that we find understanding, empathy,(50)
在我们关于种族和种族主义的对话中,我们发现理解,移情,

and opportunities to make real change in ourday-to-day lives.(51)
并有机会在我们的日常生活中实现真正的改变。

Start talking.(52)
开始谈话。

More importantly, start listening.(53)
更重要的是,开始倾听。

It is not always pleasant to talk about race.(54)
谈论种族并不总是令人愉快的。

In fact, it almost never is.(55)
事实上,它几乎从来没有。

But it is worth it.(56)
但这是值得的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Ijeoma Oluo.(57)
JUDY WOODRUFF:Ijeoma Oluo。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org