Sen. Cardin: U.S. can’t make concessions without North Korea action
2018-06-12 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: And we now turn to the otherside of the aisle.(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:我们现在转向过道的另一边。

Senator Ben Cardin of Maryland is the rankingDemocrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.(2)
马里兰州参议员本·卡丹是参议院外交委员会的民主党候选人。

I began by asking if he thought the summitwas a success.(3)
我开始问他是否认为峰会取得成功。

SEN.(4)
SEN。

BEN CARDIN (D), Maryland: Well, Judy, we wantdiplomacy to win here.(5)
BEN CARDIN(D),马里兰州:好的,朱迪,我们想在这里赢得外交。

We want to end this crisis in North Korea.(6)
我们希望在朝鲜结束这场危机。

And the way to do it is through diplomacy.(7)
而做到这一点的途径是通过外交。

So, we want the president to be successfulin gaining a way in which the Korean Peninsula(8)
因此,我们希望总统在朝鲜半岛获得成功的方式上取得成功

will be nuclear-free.(9)
将是无核的。

But we didn't hear any specifics.(10)
但我们没有听到任何具体信息。

And we can't make conceptions until we getaction from North Korea.(11)
在我们从朝鲜采取行动之前,我们不能做出构想。

They have made commitments in the past thatthey have not honored, so it's very important(12)
他们过去做出了他们没有兑现的承诺,所以这非常重要

that we see action, that we see a listingof all their nuclear facilities, all of their(13)
我们看到行动,我们看到他们所有核设施的清单,所有的核设施

missile technologies, that we get inspectorson the ground, that we get a game plan to(14)
导弹技术,我们得到实地检查员,我们得到一个游戏计划

eliminate all their nuclear weapons, and thatit is permanent in nature.(15)
消除所有的核武器,而且它是永久性的。

An we didn't hear any of that in Singapore.(16)
我们在新加坡没有听到任何消息。

So, the president made some concessions.(17)
所以,总统做出了一些让步。

He gave Kim Jong-un an audience with the president.(18)
他向金正恩提供了总统的听众。

He made commitments about U.S. military maneuversin that region.(19)
他就该地区的美国军事演习作出了承诺。

And we will see whether that will be successfulto get Kim Jong-un to make the type of commitments(20)
我们会看到这是否会成功让金正恩作出这样的承诺

we need to eliminate his nuclear capacity.(21)
我们需要消除他的核能力。

JUDY WOODRUFF: But just the very fact thatthe president met face to face with the leader(22)
JUDY WOODRUFF:但只是总统与领导人面对面的事实

of North Korea, that the two countries arenot right now -- don't have this hot rhetoric(23)
这两个国家现在并不合适 - 没有这个热门的言论

going on between the leaders, that there isn'tmissile testing, isn't that a positive step?(24)
在领导人之间进行,没有导弹测试,这不是一个积极的步骤吗?

SEN.(25)
SEN。

BEN CARDIN: Absolutely.(26)
BEN CARDIN:绝对如此。

We're very pleased that there is the diplomacytaking place.(27)
我们非常高兴有外交事件发生。

We want the diplomacy to succeed.(28)
我们希望外交取得成功。

So, yes, we are very pleased that we havebeen able to get the two leaders to talk.(29)
所以,是的,我们非常高兴能够让两位领导人交谈。

What we need now is to see North Korea reallyimplement changes to show that they're serious(30)
我们现在需要的是看到朝鲜真正实施变革以表明他们是认真的

about eliminating their nuclear weapons program.(31)
关于消除他们的核武器计划。

Whether the president's allowance of thismeeting and the changes he made in our military(32)
总统是否允许这次会议以及他在军队中所做的改变

will be enough to move that along, we willsee.(33)
我们会看到,这将足以推动这一点。

But the judgment will come as to whether NorthKorea takes action.(34)
但是判断是否是朝鲜采取行动。

JUDY WOODRUFF: What specific steps are youlooking for?(35)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你在寻找什么具体步骤?

I mean, you're right.(36)
我的意思是,你是对的。

The president talked about ending what hecalls war games.(37)
总统谈到结束他所谓的战争游戏。

I think the White House is now clarifyingthat what will continue are routine training(38)
我认为白宫现在正在澄清,将继续进行例行培训

exercises, that there is still some work tobe done there.(39)
演习,那里还有一些工作要做。

But -- so what are you looking for?(40)
但是 - 那你在找什么?

SEN.(41)
SEN。

BEN CARDIN: Well, Judy, the next step shouldbe the listing of all of North Korea's sites(42)
BEN CARDIN:好的,Judy,下一步应该是所有朝鲜网站的列表

on which they're participating in their nuclearprograms and also their missile technologies,(43)
他们参加了他们的核计划以及他们的导弹技术,

an inspection of all those sites, so we knowexactly where they are now, inspectors to(44)
检查所有这些网站,所以我们确切知道他们现在在哪里,检查员要

make sure that there is no enhancement ofthese programs, and then serious discussions(45)
确保这些程序没有增强,然后进行认真的讨论

on a path to eliminate their nuclear capacity.(46)
在消除其核能力的道路上。

JUDY WOODRUFF: But you didn't expect thatto come from first meeting, did you?(47)
JUDY WOODRUFF:但你没有想到会是第一次见面,是吗?

SEN.(48)
SEN。

BEN CARDIN: No, no, I didn't.(49)
BEN CARDIN:不,不,我没有。

And the framework of Kim Jong-un wanting securityprotections in exchange for giving up his(50)
金正恩的框架要换取放弃他的安全保护

nuclear weapons was a formula that I fullysupported.(51)
核武器是我完全支持的一个公式。

The question is, will Kim Jong-un now moveforward seriously with the program to get(52)
问题是,金正恩现在是否会认真对待这个计划来获得

rid of his nuclear weapons?(53)
摆脱他的核武器?

He's made these commitments -- his governmenthas made this commitment in the past, and(54)
他做出了这些承诺 - 他的政府过去做出了这一承诺,而且

have not.(55)
没有。

So I guess what I'm saying is, we will seewhether this campaign strategy worked or didn't(56)
所以我想我的意思是,我们会看到这个竞选策略是否奏效

work, but we're pleased that we're using diplomacy.(57)
工作,但我们很高兴我们正在使用外交。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Human rights, this is somethingthat came up only briefly.(58)
JUDY WOODRUFF:人权,这只是简单提出来的。

The president said it came up, but it didn'ttake very long.(59)
总统说它出现了,但它并没有很长时间。

Are you comfortable with that?(60)
你对此感到满意吗?

We head Senator Risch say, you know, we talkall the time with countries who have human(61)
我们负责参议员里施说,你知道,我们一直在与有人类的国家进行对话

rights problems we don't approve of.(62)
我们不赞同的权利问题。

SEN.(63)
SEN。

BEN CARDIN: For the United States to havea really different relationship with North(64)
BEN CARDIN:美国与北方有着非常不同的关系

Korea, North Korea has to change its humanrights record.(65)
韩国,朝鲜必须改变其人权记录。

It's one of the worst, if not the worst countryin the world.(66)
这是世界上最糟糕的国家之一,即使不是最糟糕的国家。

It's absolutely essential that the presidentmake it clear that, yes, we will move forward(67)
总统明确表示,是的,我们会向前迈进

on the nuclear discussions and the endingof their nuclear program, but to have a productive(68)
关于核谈判和结束他们的核计划,但要有一个富有成效的工作

relationship with the United States, progressalso needs to be done on the human rights(69)
与美国的关系,还需要在人权方面取得进展

front.(70)
面前。

JUDY WOODRUFF: When you hear President Trumpsay that he feels he's gotten to know Chairman(71)
JUDY WOODRUFF:当你听到特朗普总统说他觉得他已经认识了主席

Kim very well in a short period of time, thathe trusts him, that he knows he loves his(72)
金在很短的时间内很好,他相信他,他知道他爱他

people, wants to do what's right for them,how do you take that?(73)
人们想要为他们做正确的事情,你如何接受?

SEN.(74)
SEN。

BEN CARDIN: Judy, as I said earlier, I wantdiplomacy to work.(75)
本·卡丹:朱迪,正如我刚才所说,我希望外交工作。

So, I'm all for diplomacy.(76)
所以,我都是外交。

I think the president's characterization hereis really difficult to understand.(77)
我认为总统在这里的刻画真的很难理解。

Kim Jong-un has murdered a lot of people.(78)
金正恩谋杀了很多人。

His record is terrible.(79)
他的纪录很糟糕。

His reliability is not there.(80)
他的可靠性不存在。

So I don't know whether I would use thosetypes of praises for Kim Jong-un.(81)
所以我不知道我是否会为金正恩使用这些类型的赞美。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And, finally, Senator, lastquestion about the G7 and the president's(82)
JUDY WOODRUFF:最后,参议员,最后一个关于七国集团和总统的问题

very tough criticisms of the G7 members, pullingthe U.S. out of that communique.(83)
对七国集团成员的非常强硬的批评,把美国拉出公报。

Can that be explained by the fact that thepresident is frustrated that other countries(84)
这可以通过总统对其他国家感到沮丧的事实来解释

have not done what he wanted them to do withregard to tariffs and dealing with the U.S.(85)
没有做他希望他们做关于关税和与美国打交道的事情

on trade?(86)
贸易?

SEN.(87)
SEN。

BEN CARDIN: I don't think there's any wayto explain what the president did to our closest(88)
BEN CARDIN:我不认为有什么办法可以解释总统对我们最接近的做法

allies.(89)
盟国。

It defies logic.(90)
它无视逻辑。

What the president is doing is America alone.(91)
总统正在做的仅仅是美国。

We need our allies in our mutual defense andin our national security.(92)
我们需要我们的盟友参与我们的共同防务和国家安全。

So I thought the performance at the G7 wasjust extremely dangerous the America, inviting(93)
所以我认为G7的表现对美国来说是非常危险的

Russia to join, after what Russia has doneto us, and then blasting the prime minister(94)
俄罗斯加入后,俄罗斯向我们做了什么,然后爆炸总理

of Canada.(95)
加拿大。

No, there's no justification for that typeof conduct.(96)
不,这种行为是没有道理的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Senator Ben Cardin, thank youvery much.(97)
JUDY WOODRUFF:参议员Ben Cardin,非常感谢。

SEN.(98)
SEN。

BEN CARDIN: Thank you.(99)
BEN CARDIN:谢谢。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org