Paralyzed by polio, this triathlete still crosses the finish line
2019-10-09 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Last week, we brought you adifferent sports story, this one about some(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:上周,我们为您带来了一个不同的体育故事,这是关于

of the top adaptive athletes in the worldwho play for professional tennis while using(2)
世界上顶尖的适应性运动员在使用

wheelchairs.(3)
轮椅。

Tonight, we bring you the story of an amateurathlete, Minda Dentler, who has this Brief(4)
今晚,我们带给您一个业余运动员Minda Dentler的故事,他有这份摘要

But Spectacular take on finding strength throughsports.(5)
但是壮观的通过体育寻求力量。

MINDA DENTLER, Amateur Athlete: I take thesubway to work.(6)
MINDA DENTLER,业余运动员:我乘地铁去上班。

And, sometimes, when I go up the stairs inthe subway, people will like pat me on the(7)
而且,有时候,当我走上地铁的楼梯时,人们会喜欢拍拍我

back and say, "Oh, good job," like as if,like, I have achieved something by going to(8)
回到说“哦,干得好”,好像我通过

work.(9)
工作。

I was born in Bombay, India.(10)
我出生在印度孟买。

When I was about 6 months old, I contractedpolio.(11)
当我大约6个月大时,我患了脊髓灰质炎。

It's a disease that affects your nervous system.(12)
这是一种会影响您的神经系统的疾病。

So my legs became paralyzed.(13)
所以我的腿瘫痪了。

And my birth mother, she realized that shecouldn't take care of me, so she decided to(14)
还有我的亲生母亲,她意识到自己无法照顾我,所以她决定

leave me at an orphanage.(15)
把我留在孤儿院。

I was adopted by an American family at age3.5, and I moved to Spokane, Washington.(16)
我在3.5岁时被一个美国家庭收养,并搬到华盛顿的斯波坎。

I have a sister the exact same age as me.(17)
我有一个和我年龄完全相同的姐姐。

I was crawling on the ground, and my sisterwas running around, being a typical toddler.(18)
我在地上爬行,而姐姐却是个典型的蹒跚学步。

It took a long time for me to be able to walk.(19)
我花了很长时间才能走路。

I had to undergo a number of surgeries tobasically straighten out my hips and my legs,(20)
我必须进行多次手术才能使我的臀部和双腿基本伸直,

so I could use leg braces and crutches towalk.(21)
所以我可以用腿套和拐杖走路。

All of the kids around me, they were ableto run and jump.(22)
我周围的所有孩子,他们都能跑步和跳跃。

And recess time was the worst for me, becauseI wouldn't be able to do much of anything.(23)
休假时间对我来说是最糟糕的,因为我什么也做不了。

When I was in business school, one of my friendswas training for a marathon.(24)
当我在商学院时,我的一位朋友正在接受马拉松训练。

One day, she was like, hey, Minda, I thinkyou should check out this organization.(25)
有一天,她就像,嘿,敏达,我想你应该看看这个组织。

It's called Achilles International.(26)
它被称为阿喀琉斯国际组织。

And it's a club for athletes with disabilities.(27)
这是一个残障运动员俱乐部。

It took me probably three or four months toget the courage to make the phone call.(28)
我大概花了三四个月的时间才敢打出电话。

And, fortunately, the person who answeredthe phone was Dick Traum, who is actually(29)
而且,幸运的是,接电话的人是迪克·特劳姆(Dick Traum),实际上

the founder of Achilles.(30)
阿喀琉斯的创始人。

And he said: "Hey, you know what?(31)
他说:“嘿,你知道吗?

We have practices on Tuesdays and Saturdays.(32)
我们在星期二和星期六有练习。

Why don't you just show up at 6:30 on Tuesday,and I will loan you my bike?"(33)
你为什么不只在星期二的6:30露面,我就借给我我的自行车?”

I showed up on Tuesday.(34)
我星期二出现了。

He loaned me his bike.(35)
他借给我他的自行车。

And that was the first time that I was ableto feel the wind in my hair.(36)
那是我第一次感觉到头发上的风。

And I -- man, I went really slow.(37)
而我-伙计,我真的很慢。

I went like maybe 100 yards, but it was thecoolest feeling to ride a hand cycle for the(38)
我大概走了100码,但这是骑自行车的最酷的感觉。

first time.(39)
第一次。

To train for the Ironman World Championship,it was about a nine-month endeavor.(40)
为了训练铁人三项世界锦标赛,这大约需要9个月的时间。

And this way day in, day out, doing the workouts.(41)
这样,一天又一天地进行锻炼。

My husband was super involved in my journeyand the preparations.(42)
我丈夫非常参与我的旅途和准备工作。

I made the swim time limit.(43)
我设定了游泳时间限制。

I made the bike time limit.(44)
我设定了自行车时间限制。

And, finally, when I was on that run, I wasecstatic.(45)
最后,当我进行跑步时,我欣喜若狂。

I knew I had a marathon to go, but I knewthat I had it in the bag.(46)
我知道我要参加马拉松比赛,但是我知道我已经参加了马拉松比赛。

And by the time I made that final right-handturn on to Lee Drive, I realized how much(47)
当我最后一次右手打开Lee Drive时,我意识到

it really meant to me to finally get it done.(48)
这对我来说真的意味着最终完成它。

MAN: You are an inspiration, Minda.(49)
男人:你是一个灵感,敏达。

And you are an Ironman!(50)
而你是一个钢铁侠!

(CHEERING AND APPLAUSE)
MINDA DENTLER: I was so excited, but I wasin a lot of pain, too, because I had been(51)
敏达·登特勒(MINDA DENTLER):我很激动,但我也很痛苦,因为我曾经

exercising for a whole 14 hours and 39 minutes.(52)
整个运动长达14小时39分钟。

But crossing that finish line was somethingelse.(53)
但是越过终点线是另一回事。

By completing the Ironman World Champion,and just being successful in my life, having(54)
通过完成铁人世界冠军,并在我的生活中取得成功,

a full-time job, having a family, gettingmarried, having a degree, I think gives me(55)
我想全职工作,有家庭,要结婚,有学位

that confidence, knowing it doesn't matterwho I am, what I look like.(56)
那种自信,知道我是谁,我长什么样。

I'm able to be successful.(57)
我能够成功。

My name is Minda Dentler.(58)
我叫Minda Dentler。

This is my Brief But Spectacular take on livingwith my disability.(59)
这是我的简短但壮观的残障生活。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And that's an inspiration.(60)
JUDY WOODRUFF:这是一个灵感。

And you can find more episodes of our BriefBut Spectacular series at PBS.org/NewsHour/Brief.(61)
您可以在PBS.org/NewsHour/Brief中找到我们的《简短而壮观》系列的更多剧集。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org