Freedom is your companion when you travel solo
2018-06-11 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: You may be planning a summervacation, trying to coordinate schedules with(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你可能正在计划一个暑假,试图协调时间表

friends and family, but maybe there's anotherway, even a better way, to take a vacation.(2)
朋友和家人,但也许有另一种方式,甚至更好的方式来度假。

People are traveling alone in record numbers.(3)
人们独自旅行的人数创纪录。

Tonight, New York Times travel writer StephanieRosenbloom shares her Humble Opinion on why(4)
今晚,纽约时报旅行作家史蒂芬妮罗森布洛姆分享她的谦虚观点为什么

heading off by yourself rewards you with morethan just a new destination.(5)
自己一个人不仅仅是一个新的目的地,而且还会奖励你。

STEPHANIE ROSENBLOOM, The New York Times:I'm a travel reporter.(6)
“纽约时报”的STEPHANIE ROSENBLOOM:我是一位旅行记者。

When people discover this, they often begintelling me about the places they have longed(7)
当人们发现这一点时,他们经常开始告诉我他们渴望的地方

to go.(8)
去。

Many say things like, I would love to seePortugal or Rome, but I don't have anyone(9)
许多人说,我很想看到葡萄牙或罗马,但我没有任何人

to go with.(10)
一起去。

My response?(11)
我的回复?

So what?(12)
所以呢?

You should travel alone.(13)
你应该独自旅行。

One year, my editor sent me to Paris to explorethe city by myself.(14)
有一年,我的编辑将我送到巴黎去亲自探索这座城市。

That was the assignment.(15)
这是任务。

On my own, thousands of miles from home, Icould slow down.(16)
离我家千里之外,我可以放慢脚步。

I began to really pay attention, to soak upall of the marvelous, everyday things I miss(17)
我开始真正注意,吸收所有我想念的奇妙的日常事物

when talking with or tending to companions,the way sunlight fell through the trees onto(18)
当与同伴交谈或倾向于同伴时,阳光照在树上

the green chairs in the Luxembourg Gardens,the sound of rain on awnings outside a cafe.(19)
卢森堡花园里的绿色椅子,咖啡馆外面遮阳篷上的雨声。

I was able to zero in on these details becausethere was no one to distract me, no one to(20)
我能够清楚这些细节,因为没有人会分散我的注意力,没有人会分心

tell me to hurry along, to stop lingeringon the quiet street near Balzac's House.(21)
告诉我快点,停下来在巴尔扎克之家附近安静的街道上徘徊。

Travel alone, and you have the freedom topursue your particular interests.(22)
独自旅行,你有自由追求你的特定兴趣。

You can develop your aesthetic sense at yourown pace.(23)
你可以按自己的步调发展自己的审美意识。

You can explore art and design shops, placesthat may inspire a new hobby or a creative(24)
您可以探索艺术和设计商店,可能激发新爱好或创意的地方

endeavor, even how you want to spend the restof your life.(25)
努力,甚至你想如何度过余生。

Alone, I can step outside my comfort zone,like the day I took myself to a tea ceremony(26)
独自一人,我可以走出我的舒适区,就像我参加茶道的那一天

in Tokyo.(27)
在东京。

I can be reflective.(28)
我可以反思。

I can climb a hill in Florence on an autumnafternoon and consider how I'm living my life(29)
我可以在秋天的下午在佛罗伦萨爬上一座小山,并考虑我是如何过着我的生活

and how I want to live it in the future, aprocess that can get inhibited when other(30)
以及我如何在将来生活它,这是一个可以在其他时候受到抑制的过程

people are around.(31)
人们在附近。

Now, maybe you're thinking, that's all welland good, but won't it get lonely?(32)
现在,也许你在想,这一切都很好,但不会孤独吗?

We can't outrun loneliness.(33)
我们不能逃避孤独。

If it's going to come, it will come, evenif we're at party surrounded by familiar faces.(34)
如果它即将到来,即使我们在派对上被熟悉的面孔包围着,它也会来临。

Besides, if you enjoy meeting people, takea vacation alone.(35)
此外,如果你喜欢与人相遇,就单独度假。

Seriously.(36)
认真。

Strangers tend to be more willing to strikeup a conversation when you're on your own.(37)
当你独自一人时,陌生人倾向于更愿意进行对话。

And, these days, there are so many opportunitiesto connect with locals and fellow travelers,(38)
而且,这些日子里,有很多机会与当地人和其他旅客联系,

be it through a cooking class, an architecturalwalking tour, or a peer-to-peer dining Web(39)
通过烹饪班,建筑徒步旅行或点对点餐饮网站

site.(40)
现场。

And here's a little more food for thought:If, like me, you happen to be a woman traveling(41)
这里有更多的想法:如果像我一样,你碰巧是一个旅行的女人

alone, you're exercising a hard-won right.(42)
独自一人,你正在行使一项来之不易的权利。

For years, women in my hometown of New YorkCity didn't have the right to walk into a(43)
多年来,我家乡纽约市的女性无权走进美国纽约市

restaurant and eat lunch alone, let alonetravel by themselves.(44)
餐厅和独自吃午餐,更不用说独自旅行了。

Every time I go it alone, I'm doing somethingthat countless women before me fought to be(45)
每当我独自一人时,我都会做一些无数女人在我之前奋战

able to do.(46)
能够做到。

So, don't wait for the right friend to coordinatehis or her schedule with yours, or for the(47)
所以,不要等待合适的朋友与你的时间表或你的时间表协调一致

love of your life to come along.(48)
热爱你的人生。

Buy the plane ticket.(49)
买飞机票。

Book the hotel.(50)
预订酒店。

Travel alone.(51)
一个人旅行。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Good advice, Stephanie Rosenbloom,even for a stay-at-home vacation.(52)
JUDY WOODRUFF:很好的建议,斯蒂芬妮罗森布洛姆,即使是在家里度假。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org