Why it's 'staggering' that baseball hasn't done more to protect fans from foul balls
2019-07-10 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: A second sports story tonight,but of a different nature.(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:今晚的第二个体育故事,但性质不同。

Major League Baseball is at its halfway pointfor the season, marked by the annual All-Star(2)
美国职棒大联盟正处于本赛季的中间位置,以年度全明星为标志

Game last night.(3)
昨晚比赛。

Even as players are smashing a record paceof home runs this season, John Yang looks(4)
尽管球员本赛季的本垒打打破了创纪录的速度,但约翰杨看起来

at lingering questions around the league aboutother line-drive hits that injure fans.(5)
在联盟中挥之不去的问题,其他关于伤害球迷的线路撞击事件。

In addition to the White Sox, the WashingtonNationals are in the process of extending(6)
除了白袜队外,华盛顿国民队正在进行扩展

protective netting.(7)
防护网。

Both teams say the added protection will bein place for their next home games later this(8)
两支球队都表示,对于他们之后的主场比赛,将会有更多的保护措施

month.(9)
月。

Jeff Passan covers baseball for ESPN.(10)
杰夫帕桑为ESPN报道棒球。

He joins us now.(11)
他现在加入了我们。

Jeff, thanks so much.(12)
杰夫,非常感谢。

This incident in Houston in May, this is nota new phenomenon.(13)
这一事件发生在5月的休斯顿,这不是一个新现象。

As we say, the woman actually died at DodgerStadium last year.(14)
正如我们所说,该女子去年在道奇体育场死亡。

Why did this incident in Houston become thecatalyst for this discussion now?(15)
为什么这次在休斯顿的事件成为现在讨论的催化剂?

JEFF PASSAN, ESPN: I think it was becausea small child was the one involved in this.(16)
杰夫帕森,ESPN:我认为这是因为一个小孩子就是这个孩子。

I was down on the field that day.(17)
那天我在球场上摔倒了。

I was about 25 feet away from Albert Almorawhen he hit that ball.(18)
当他击中那个球时,我离艾伯特阿尔莫拉约25英尺。

And you could see almost instantaneously hesaw it going for the girl, and it's like his(19)
你几乎可以立即看到他看到它适合那个女孩,就像他一样

eyes lasered in on her.(20)
眼睛盯着她。

And when he saw it hit her, he was crestfallen.(21)
当他看到它袭击她时,他垂头丧气。

He was heartbroken.(22)
他伤心欲绝。

The whole stadium went silent.(23)
整个体育场都沉默了。

And right after the game that day, Kris Bryant,Chicago Cubs star, says to me, "We need netting(24)
当天比赛结束后,芝加哥小熊队的明星克里斯·布莱恩特对我说:“我们需要净结算

around the whole stadium."(25)
在整个体育场周围。“

Albert Almora follows by saying that, KyleSchwarber.(26)
艾尔伯特阿尔莫拉接着说,凯尔施瓦伯。

The entire Chicago Cubs team is saying, thisis a problem.(27)
整个芝加哥小熊队都在说,这是一个问题。

We don't want to be the people causing thesesorts of injuries.(28)
我们不想成为造成这种伤害的人。

And it's significant, I think, that you saythe Washington Nationals are doing it and(29)
我认为,重要的是你说华盛顿国民队正在做这件事

the Chicago White Sox.(30)
芝加哥白袜队。

The Chicago Cubs haven't done it yet.(31)
芝加哥小熊队还没有做到。

Houston Astros haven't done it yet.(32)
休斯敦太空人还没有做到。

Those are the two teams that were involvedthat day.(33)
这些是当天参与的两支球队。

And the paucity of teams coming and saying,we're going to make this a priority really(34)
而且缺乏团队的到来和说,我们真的会把这个作为优先事项

is staggering.(35)
是惊人的。

JOHN YANG: And I want to make -- follow upon that point, because you say the netting(36)
杨YANG:我想做 - 跟进这一点,因为你说网

is going up only in a handful of ballparks.(37)
只在极少数的球场上升。

Why are teams so reluctant to take this step?(38)
为什么球队不愿意采取这一步骤?

JEFF PASSAN: I wish I had a good answer.(39)
JEFF PASSAN:我希望我有一个好的答案。

I have asked clubs.(40)
我问过俱乐部。

I asked the commissioner of baseball, RobManfred, yesterday that very question: Why(41)
昨天我向棒球专员Rob Manfred询问了这个问题:为什么

haven't you, as the person who is the shepherdof this sport, as the person who's in charge(42)
作为这项运动的牧羊人,作为负责人,你不是吗?

of selling this game to fans, and saying,we want ballparks to be safe, we want your(43)
向粉丝出售这款游戏,并说,我们希望棒球场安全,我们想要你的

experience to be great, why haven't you saidto teams, everyone is going to put up netting(44)
经验很棒,为什么你没有对团队说过,每个人都会拿起网

at some point?(45)
在某一点?

Why don't we just get that out there rightnow?(46)
为什么我们不马上就把它拿出来呢?

And I'll be honest.(47)
而且我会说实话。

There are no good answers.(48)
没有好的答案。

And that's the part of it that I really stilldon't understand, how a grouping of companies(49)
这是我真正还不明白的一部分,如何成为一个集团公司

in Major League Baseball that are worth about$40 billion, when you put them all together,(50)
在职业棒球大联盟中,当你把它们放在一起时价值约400亿美元,

can put themselves at risk for this bad ofpublic relations, and the fact that we're(51)
可以把自己置于这种糟糕的公共关系的风险之中,以及我们这样做的事实

even talking about this still a month-plusafter it happened.(52)
事情发生后,甚至在谈论这个问题仍然是一个多月。

JOHN YANG: Manfred in this piece talked aboutfan resistance.(53)
杨致远:曼弗雷德在这篇文章中谈到了粉丝抵抗。

But the most expensive seats in most ballparksare behind the plate, which are covered by(54)
但是大多数球场中最昂贵的座位都在盘子后面

netting.(55)
网。

And the NHL has now had netting up behindthe goals since the 2002-2003 season.(56)
自2002-2003赛季以来,NHL现在已经落后于目标。

And it's had no effect.(57)
它没有任何效果。

What do you make of that?(58)
你是怎么做到的?

JEFF PASSAN: It is a giant ocean of illogic.(59)
JEFF PASSAN:这是一个不合逻辑的巨大海洋。

The idea that these remarkably expensive seatsthat go for $1,000 have a worse view because(60)
认为这些价格非常昂贵的座位价格为1000美元的观点更糟糕

of some netting than seats that would be onthe side, it's just not true.(61)
一些净额比一边的座位,这是不正确的。

Your eyes adjust.(62)
你的眼睛调整。

Anybody who has sat behind netting beforeknows that.(63)
任何以前坐在网后面的人都知道这一点。

What it is, is there a few people out therestill who want to catch foul balls.(64)
它是什么,是否有一些人仍然想要抓住犯规球。

That's what this comes down to.(65)
这就是归结为。

When you're in a baseball stadium, balls gethit into the stands, and it is some people's(66)
当你在棒球场时,球会被击中看台,这是一些人的

dream to catch a foul ball.(67)
梦想抓到一个犯规球。

And to all of those people, I ask the question-- and this is not a rhetorical question -- I(68)
对所有这些人,我问这个问题 - 这不是一个修辞问题 - 我

ask the question, would you rather go andspend $5 or $10 for a stamped official Major(69)
问一个问题,你愿意花5美元或10美元买一个盖章的官方专业

League Baseball or watch a child get hurt?(70)
联赛棒球或看孩子受伤?

That is the value proposition we're talkingabout right here.(71)
这就是我们在这里谈论的价值主张。

And I understand catching a foul ball is agreat experience and all.(72)
我知道抓住一个犯规球是一次很棒的经历。

But if I'm trying to balance a kid or an adultor anyone potentially getting hurt with catching(73)
但是,如果我试图平衡一个孩子或一个成年人或任何可能受伤的人

a foul ball, I don't think that's a very difficultchoice to make.(74)
一个犯规球,我认为这不是一个非常困难的选择。

JOHN YANG: Jeff Passan of ESPN, thanks somuch.(75)
JOHN YANG:ESPN的Jeff Passan,非常感谢。

JEFF PASSAN: Thanks for having me.(76)
JEFF PASSAN:谢谢你的帮助。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org