Why Alan Alda pays close attention to people’s faces
2018-07-12 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Next, we turn to another installmentof our weekly Brief But Spectacular series.(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:接下来,我们转到我们的每周Brief But Spectacular系列的另一部分。

Alan Alda is an award-winning actor, writer,director, and now podcaster.(2)
Alan Alda是一位获奖的演员,作家,导演,现在是播客。

His latest interview show, which includeseveryone from comedian Sarah Silverman to(3)
他的最新采访节目包括喜剧演员莎拉西尔弗曼的所有人

violinist Itzhak Perlman, is called "Clearand Vivid."(4)
小提琴家伊扎克·帕尔曼(Itzhak Perlman)被称为“清晰而生动”。

The first episode dropped this past Tuesday.(5)
第一集在上周二下降。

Here he is, artfully demonstrating to ourBrief producers Steve Goldbloom and Zach Land-Miller,(6)
在这里,他巧妙地向我们的制片人Steve Goldbloom和Zach Land-Miller展示,

the importance of communication.(7)
沟通的重要性。

QUESTION: Mr. Alda, I will just get a soundlevel from you, if you can tell me what you(8)
问题:阿尔达先生,如果你能告诉我你的意思,我会从你那里得到一个合理的声音

had for breakfast this morning.(9)
今天早上吃早餐。

ALAN ALDA, Actor/Writer/Director: Everybodywants to know what I had for breakfast.(10)
ALAN ALDA,演员/导演:每个人都想知道早餐吃什么。

I'm so sick of that.(11)
我很讨厌这个。

QUESTION: How about...(12)
问题:怎么样......

ALAN ALDA: I will tell you what I had forbreakfast.(13)
艾伦阿尔达:我会告诉你早餐吃的东西。

Here's what I had for breakfast.(14)
这是我早餐吃的东西。

I had peanut butter, two spoons.(15)
我有花生酱,两汤匙。

I'm starving.(16)
我饿死了。

That's what I had for breakfast.(17)
这就是我早餐吃的东西。

QUESTION: This is exactly the answer we'relooking for.(18)
问题:这正是我们正在寻找的答案。

(LAUGHTER)
QUESTION: We can go home.(19)
问题:我们可以回家了。

ALAN ALDA: Are you ready?(20)
艾伦阿尔达:你准备好了吗?

(LAUGHTER)
ALAN ALDA: I was born in New York.(21)
艾伦·阿尔达:我出生在纽约。

My father couldn't make a living as a juniorarchitect because the Depression was on.(22)
由于大萧条已经开始,我父亲无法以初级建筑师的身份谋生。

And he started singing in paid amateur nights,where he was a ringer.(23)
他开始在有偿业余的夜晚唱歌,在那里他是一个铃声。

He'd come in and get paid to pretend he wasan amateur and win the contest.(24)
他进来并获得报酬,假装他是一名业余选手并赢得比赛。

And then he went into burlesque.(25)
然后他进入了滑稽剧。

We traveled up and down the from Baltimoreto Toronto.(26)
我们从巴尔的摩上下游到多伦多。

I used to shoot craps with the strippers.(27)
我曾经和脱衣舞娘一起拍摄掷骰子。

It was an unusual childhood.(28)
这是一个不寻常的童年。

Unfortunately, my mother was psychotic.(29)
不幸的是,我的母亲精神病。

She had -- suffered from schizophrenia andparanoia.(30)
她患有精神分裂症和偏执狂。

And it was difficult, because, as a child,I didn't know it wasn't her fault.(31)
这很难,因为,作为一个孩子,我不知道这不是她的错。

So I got very good at observing her and, byextension, observing everybody else.(32)
所以我非常善于观察她,并且通过扩展,观察其他人。

I think that helped me be a writer and anactor.(33)
我认为这帮助我成为一名作家和演员。

Now, I pay attention to people's face andtheir body language all the time.(34)
现在,我一直关注人的面部和肢体语言。

Watch people when they communicate with otherpeople.(35)
在与其他人交流时观察他们。

Watch the next time somebody says, here'show I feel about this.(36)
看下次有人说,这就是我对此的看法。

I feel very strongly about this.(37)
我对此非常强烈。

You're over there, and they're not lookingat you.(38)
你在那边,他们没有看着你。

They're looking into the blue space over here.(39)
他们在这里看着蓝色的空间。

Why?(40)
为什么?

If they want me to get what they're saying,why aren't they checking my face?(41)
如果他们想要我得到他们所说的话,他们为什么不检查我的脸?

And, by the same token, if they're not checkingmy face, they're talking to the wrong person.(42)
并且,出于同样的原因,如果他们没有检查我的脸,他们就会与错误的人交谈。

They are talking to who they think I am.(43)
他们正在和他们认为我是谁交谈。

As a matter of fact, this is very difficultfor me, because I'm talking to the damn lens.(44)
事实上,这对我来说非常困难,因为我正在和该死的镜头说话。

And there are two guys behind the camera -- andyou're laughing, you're smiling.(45)
镜头后面有两个人 - 你笑了,你笑了。

And I got to pretend the lens is what's reactingto me.(46)
我得假装镜头是对我的反应。

I am reacting to you, but I'm not -- it'sonly peripherally.(47)
我对你作出反应,但我不是 - 它只是外围的。

I'm looking into the lens.(48)
我正在调查镜头。

You're making it very hard for me to relateto you.(49)
你让我很难与你联系。

Improvising changed me as an actor, and itchanged me as a person.(50)
即兴创作改变了我作为一个演员,它改变了我作为一个人。

And I began to realize that I could reallybe of service to other people, first scientists,(51)
我开始意识到我真的可以为其他人服务,首先是科学家,

because I had spent 11 years interviewingscientists.(52)
因为我花了11年时间采访科学家。

And I saw that, when we improvise together,when we just listen to each other and had(53)
我看到了,当我们一起即兴创作时,当我们只是互相倾听并拥有时

a conversation about science, the sciencebecame clearer, it became alive.(54)
关于科学的对话,科学变得更加清晰,它变得活跃起来。

I think, after the show, a lot of people willbe wearing this.(55)
我想,演出结束后,很多人都会穿这件衣服。

(LAUGHTER)
ALAN ALDA: What did you ask me anyway?(56)
艾伦阿尔达:无论如何你问我什么?

QUESTION: No, I am going to pick up on that.(57)
问题:不,我会接受这个。

Where did...(58)
哪里...

ALAN ALDA: Oh, you're picking up on something.(59)
艾伦阿尔达:哦,你正在接受一些事情。

This is exciting.(60)
这真让人兴奋。

I'm so glad about it.(61)
我很高兴。

No, go ahead.(62)
没有,继续。

Go ahead.(63)
前进。

No, this is a moment of spontaneity.(64)
不,这是一个自发的时刻。

I love this.(65)
我喜欢这个。

QUESTION: Where did your desire to help scientistscommunicate their work come from?(66)
问题:您希望帮助科学家传达他们的工作的愿望来自哪里?

ALAN ALDA: That really came out of the moment?(67)
ALAN ALDA:那真的出现了吗?

(LAUGHTER)
ALAN ALDA: My desire to help scientists communicatecame out of doing this science show, "Scientific(68)
艾伦·阿尔达:我希望帮助科学家们进行交流,这是出于这个科学节目,“科学

American Frontiers."(69)
美国前沿。“

They weren't conventional interviews.(70)
他们不是传统的采访。

I didn't go in with a list of questions.(71)
我没有提出一系列问题。

I just wanted to understand them.(72)
我只是想了解它们。

And if I didn't understand them, I would grabthem by the collar and shake them, and I'd(73)
如果我不理解它们,我会抓住衣领并摇动它们,我会

say, tell me again.(74)
说再说一遍。

Make it plainer.(75)
让它变得更加平稳。

I can't get it.(76)
我无法得到它。

I wasn't afraid to be ignorant.(77)
我并不害怕无知。

Ignorance is a really good thing, as longas it's coupled with curiosity.(78)
无知是一件非常好的事情,只要它与好奇心相结合。

Ignorance without curiosity, not so good.(79)
没有好奇心的无知,不那么好。

I am Alan Alda, and this is my Brief But Spectaculartake on being connected.(80)
我是艾伦·阿尔达,这是我的简短而壮观的连接。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And you can watch more BriefBut Spectacular videos online at PBS.org/NewsHour/Brief.(81)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你可以在PBS.org/NewsHour/Brief上在线观看更多简短但壮观的视频。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org