Andrew Yang on how the U.S. can adapt to its new economic realities
2019-04-15 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Staying with the campaign,Lisa Desjardins has the latest installment(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:保持竞选活动,Lisa Desjardins有最新的分期付款

in our series of one-on-one interviews withpresidential contenders.(2)
在我们与总统候选人的一对一访谈中。

LISA DESJARDINS: Andrew Yang may not yet havethe name recognition of his opponents on the(3)
LISA DESJARDINS:Andrew Yang可能还没有对他的对手的名字表示认可

campaign trail, but the lawyer-turned-entrepreneurhas steadily gained traction since announcing(4)
竞选活动,但律师转为企业家自宣布以来稳步上升

his bid for president more than a year ago.(5)
一年多前他竞选总统。

The son of Taiwanese immigrants cleared thethreshold to qualify for the first Democratic(6)
台湾移民的儿子清除了获得第一个民主党资格的门槛

debate later this summer.(7)
今年夏天晚些时候辩论

And he joins me now.(8)
他现在加入了我。

Let's start with something that was in thenews this weekend, the clear feud and very(9)
让我们从本周末新闻中的内容开始,明确的不和

significant words between Representative IlhanOmar and President Trump.(10)
代表伊尔汗奥马尔和特朗普总统之间的重要言论。

What is your reaction to what the two of themare saying?(11)
你对他们两个人说的话有什么反应?

ANDREW YANG (D), Presidential Candidate: Well,you know, I think that her remarks were taken(12)
ANDREW YANG(D),总统候选人:嗯,你知道,我认为她的言论已被采纳

very much out of context, and it was reallyweeks after the fact.(13)
非常缺乏背景,事实上已经过了几周。

One of the problems we're having right nowis this manufactured outrage that's happening(14)
我们现在面临的一个问题就是这种制造的愤怒正在发生

on both sides.(15)
在双方。

Certainly, I think that the president's tweetthat seemed to suggest that her comments were(16)
当然,我认为总统的推文似乎表明她的评论是

somehow dishonoring the memory of 9/11 struckme as needlessly provocative and inciting(17)
以某种方式羞辱9/11的记忆让我感到不必要的挑衅和煽动

hostility toward Muslim Americans.(18)
对美国穆斯林的敌意。

And so I tweeting saying, look, we're allAmericans and we need to come together.(19)
所以我发推文说,看,我们都是美国人,我们需要走到一起。

And I was personally in New York on 9/11,so I remember the day very well.(20)
我在9/11事件中亲自到了纽约,所以我很清楚这一天。

LISA DESJARDINS: You have an idea for universalbasic income.(21)
LISA DESJARDINS:你对普遍的基本收入有一个想法。

And I'm going to lay it out really quicklyin a graphic, $1,000 per month to every adult(22)
而且我打算快速将它放在一张图片中,每个月给每个成年人1000美元

in this country, and then you would make itso that people would have to make a choice(23)
在这个国家,然后你会做到让人们不得不做出选择

if they were on some other programs, suchas food stamps or SNAP or Social Security.(24)
如果他们在其他一些项目上,如食品券或SNAP或社会保障。

They would have to choose which is betterfor them, between your money and the Social(25)
他们必须选择哪个更适合他们,在你的钱和社交之间

Security benefits.(26)
安全利益。

You would pay for it in large percent witha 10 percent value-added tax.(27)
您可以通过10%的增值税以较高的百分比支付。

So essentially, if I get this right, you'resaying you want to add a tax to most of the(28)
所以基本上,如果我做对了,你就是说你要为大多数人增税

things that we buy as it's being produced,and then you want to give us money in our(29)
我们购买的东西,因为它正在生产,然后你想给我们钱

paycheck.(30)
薪水。

What does that do?(31)
那是做什么的?

ANDREW YANG: Well, if everyone watching thisreflects upon what a $1,000 a month per individual(32)
安德鲁杨:嗯,如果每个人都看到这个反映了每个人每月1000美元的价格

would do for your household, that would begame-changer for tens of millions of Americans.(33)
会对你的家庭有所帮助,对于数以千万计的美国人来说,这将改变游戏规则。

It would improve health.(34)
它会改善健康。

Children's graduation rates would go up.(35)
孩子的毕业率会上升。

Our mental health would improve.(36)
我们的心理健康会改善。

It would even improve our relationships.(37)
它甚至可以改善我们的关系。

It would create millions of jobs around thecountry.(38)
它将在全国创造数百万个就业机会。

And the reason why we need to have a value-addedtax in place is that, right now, the biggest(39)
我们需要增值税的原因是,现在是最大的

winners from artificial intelligence and newtechnologies will be Amazon and the biggest(40)
人工智能和新技术的获胜者将是亚马逊和最大的

tech companies, who right now in some casesare paying literally zero in taxes, which(41)
科技公司现在在某些情况下支付的税收几乎为零

is the case with Amazon.(42)
是亚马逊的情况。

So we need to wake up to the challenges ofthe 21st century economy, get more buying(43)
因此,我们需要醒悟21世纪经济的挑战,获得更多的购买

power in the hands of Americans, but alsomake sure that our biggest companies aren't(44)
权力掌握在美国人手中,但也要确保我们最大的公司不是

benefiting without paying their fair share.(45)
在不支付其公平份额的情况下受益。

LISA DESJARDINS: But I think the economicsof this confuse me a little bit.(46)
LISA DESJARDINS:但我认为这种经济学让我感到困惑。

And I want to bring out a quote, somethingyou said at a town hall last night with CNN.(47)
我想带出一句话,你昨晚在市政厅和CNN说的话。

You told viewers there that the goal shouldnot be to save jobs.(48)
你告诉那里的观众,目标不应该是挽救工作。

The goal should be to make lives better.(49)
目标应该是让生活更美好。

But yet you're running on the premise thatwe're going to lose potentially millions of(50)
但是你的前提是我们将失去数百万美元

jobs.(51)
工作。

And I'm not clear on how increasing taxes,which could actually take away some jobs,(52)
而且我不清楚如何增加税收,这实际上可以带走一些工作,

giving away money that could increase jobs,how does that -- what's your vision for the(53)
放弃可以增加工作的钱,这是怎么回事 - 你的愿景是什么?

economy as a whole?(54)
经济整体?

How do you lift up the economy and createmore jobs in general?(55)
你如何提升经济,创造更多就业机会?

Or is that not your goal at all?(56)
或者那不是你的目标吗?

ANDREW YANG: Well, the goal is to build atrickle-up economy, from people, families(57)
ANDREW YANG:嗯,目标是建立一个来自人,家庭的涓流经济

and communities up.(58)
和社区。

And putting $1,000 a month in the hands ofevery American adult would actually create(59)
每个美国成年人手中每月投入1,000美元实际上会创造出来

more than two million jobs in our economybecause of increased demand for things like(60)
由于对这类事物的需求增加,我们经济中的就业人数超过200万

tutoring services, car repairs, the occasionalnight out, trips to the hardware store.(61)
辅导服务,汽车维修,偶尔晚上外出,前往五金店。

All of those businesses would end up hiringpeople in our communities.(62)
所有这些企业最终都会雇用我们社区的人员。

LISA DESJARDINS: It sounds like your plandoes not make up for the amount of jobs you(63)
LISA DESJARDINS:听起来你的计划并没有弥补你的工作量

think we will be losing.(64)
我想我们会失败的。

ANDREW YANG: Well, one of the examples I useis that my wife right now is at home with(65)
ANDREW YANG:嗯,我使用的一个例子是我的妻子现在在家里

our two young children, one of whom is autistic.(66)
我们的两个小孩,其中一个是自闭症。

And right now her work is not considered ajob by the marketplace or by GDP or by our(67)
而现在她的工作不被市场或GDP或我们的工作视为工作

economic measurements.(68)
经济指标。

But we all know that she's doing some of themost important and difficult and challenging(69)
但我们都知道她正在做一些最重要,最困难和最具挑战性的事情

work.(70)
工作。

So what we need to do is, we need to broadenour definition of what work is.(71)
所以我们需要做的是,我们需要拓宽我们对工作的定义。

And more and more Americans hopefully willbe in position to do the work that they want(72)
并且越来越多的美国人希望能够完成他们想要的工作

to do if we put this economic buying powerinto their hands.(73)
如果我们将这种经济购买力掌握在他们手中,那就要做。

LISA DESJARDINS: You also want to broadenthe definition of American health care -- or(74)
LISA DESJARDINS:你也想扩大美国医疗保健的定义 - 或者

change it anyway.(75)
无论如何要改变它。

You say that you want to get to universalsingle-payer government-run health care, ultimately,(76)
你说你想要获得普遍的单一付款人政府运营的医疗保健,最终,

and you want to phase that in.(77)
而你想要进入阶段。

Sort of a brief question here.(78)
这里有一个简短的问题。

How long is that phase-in period?(79)
这个阶段有多长?

Would we see universal health care in yourfirst term as president?(80)
我们在你担任总统的第一个任期内会看到全民医保吗?

ANDREW YANG: You know, it will probably happenin my second term as president, because my(81)
安德鲁杨:你知道,这可能发生在我担任总统的第二个任期内,因为我的

plan is to lower the eligibility age for Medicare.(82)
计划是降低Medicare的资格年龄。

I am a Medicare-for-all public option proponent.(83)
我是Medicare-all-all公共选择支持者。

I would not outlaw or eliminate private healthinsurance.(84)
我不会取缔或取消私人医疗保险。

But if we do a good enough job, with a robustpublic option, there really should not be(85)
但是,如果我们做得足够好,有一个强大的公共选择,那真的不应该

as much of a need for private insurance inthe market.(86)
在市场上需要私人保险。

LISA DESJARDINS: I have to say I was excitedabout this interview because you have more(87)
LISA DESJARDINS:我不得不说我对这次采访很兴奋,因为你有更多

policy proposals, I think, than anyone elserunning right now, if you just take a look(88)
我认为,政策建议比现在任何其他人都要好,如果你只是看看

at your Web site, dozens of very specificideas that you have.(89)
在您的网站上,您拥有数十种非常具体的想法。

For example, you would make today, Tax Day,a national holiday.(90)
例如,你今天要在税收日,国定假日。

You think the NCAA should pay college athletes.(91)
你认为NCAA应该支付大学运动员的费用。

You would put a term limit on Supreme Courtjustices, and you would lower the voting age(92)
你会对最高法院大法官设定任期限制,你会降低投票年龄

to 16.(93)
到16岁。

Also, one of your policies is, you would decriminalizepossession of small amounts of opioids, including(94)
此外,您的一项政策是,您将合法拥有少量阿片类药物,包括

heroin.(95)
海洛因。

Why, especially when we know that opioids,even in small amounts, it seems, can be very(96)
为什么,特别是当我们知道阿片类药物,即使是少量,似乎也是如此

addictive?(97)
上瘾?

ANDREW YANG: Well, that's exactly why we needto decriminalize the use, because, when I(98)
ANDREW YANG:嗯,这正是我们需要将使用合法化的原因,因为,当我

was in Iowa, an 18-year-old high school studentsaid to me that his classmates are literally(99)
在爱荷华州,一名18岁的高中生告诉我,他的同学确实是这样

addicted to fentanyl and heroin.(100)
沉迷于芬太尼和海洛因。

And that struck me as incredible and tragic.(101)
这让我感到难以置信和悲惨。

And so I started looking internationally forsolutions.(102)
所以我开始寻找国际解决方案。

And other countries have decriminalized opiatepossession, not sale, not if you're like a(103)
其他国家已经将鸦片剂占有而非销售合法化,而不是如果你喜欢的话

drug dealer.(104)
毒贩子。

But if you get caught with a small supplyof opiates, we should be referring you straight(105)
但是,如果你被少量的鸦片制剂所吸引,我们应该直接指你

to treatment, and not a jail cell.(106)
治疗,而不是监狱牢房。

And in other countries, that has reduced boththe usage rate and the overdose rate over(107)
在其他国家,这已经降低了使用率和过量使用率

time.(108)
时间。

LISA DESJARDINS: I want to turn to foreignpolicy.(109)
LISA DESJARDINS:我想转向外交政策。

We're in a time of very significant globaltension.(110)
我们正处于一个非常重要的全球紧张时期。

And there is U.S. presence on the ground indozens of countries right now.(111)
现在有数十个国家的美国存在。

We have seen just in the last week protestsand overthrow and Africa.(112)
我们刚刚在上周看到抗议活动和推翻非洲。

ISIS is weak, but still surviving in Syria.(113)
伊斯兰国很弱,但仍然在叙利亚生存。

Afghanistan is not yet fully stable.(114)
阿富汗尚未完全稳定。

I'm wondering which of those situations youthink would call for U.S. involvement, if(115)
我想知道你认为哪种情况会引起美国的参与,如果

any, and what kind of involvement.(116)
任何,以及什么样的参与。

What is your foreign policy vision?(117)
你的外交政策愿景是什么?

ANDREW YANG: Well, I would want to rebuildthe partnerships and alliances that we have(118)
安德鲁杨:嗯,我想重建我们的伙伴关系和联盟

had over the last number of years that inmany cases have become very frayed because(119)
在过去的几年中,在许多情况下已经变得非常磨损,因为

some of our longstanding allies now regardthe United States as an unreliable partner.(120)
我们的一些长期盟友现在认为美国是一个不可靠的伙伴。

And, to me, our foreign policy should reflecthow we're doing at home.(121)
对我而言,我们的外交政策应该反映我们在国内的表现。

In my opinion, the reason why Donald Trumpis our president is that we have been falling(122)
在我看来,唐纳德特朗普是我们总统的原因是我们一直在堕落

apart at home.(123)
在家里分开。

So job number one is to rebuild the Americancommunity, the American people.(124)
因此,最重要的是重建美国社区,即美国人民。

And our foreign policy should become muchmore restrained and judicious.(125)
我们的外交政策应该变得更加克制和明智。

I would want to rebuild our partnerships andalliances, and hopefully rely more on the(126)
我想重建我们的伙伴关系和联盟,并希望更多地依赖于

U.N. and diplomacy and multilateral approachesto problems.(127)
联合国和外交以及解决问题的多边方法。

LISA DESJARDINS: Would you pull out U.S. forcesfrom, say, Afghanistan and Syria altogether?(128)
LISA DESJARDINS:你会从阿富汗和叙利亚完全撤出美军吗?

ANDREW YANG: Over time, that should be thegoal.(129)
安德鲁杨:随着时间的推移,这应该是目标。

And, certainly, we shouldn't have done itin the way that President Trump did when he(130)
而且,当然,我们不应该像特朗普总统那样做

did it abruptly and didn't notify allies.(131)
突然做了,并没有通知盟友。

And then some friends of mine resigned, youknow, in protest.(132)
然后我的一些朋友辞职,你知道,抗议。

I mean, if you're going to do something, youhave to do it responsibly.(133)
我的意思是,如果你要做某事,你必须负责任地做。

But we have been in some of these contextsfor many years.(134)
但是我们多年来一直处于这些背景中。

And, at this point, it's time to own the factthat we should bring those troops home.(135)
而且,在这一点上,是时候拥有我们应该把这些部队带回家的事实。

LISA DESJARDINS: Andrew Yang, Democratic candidatefor president, thank you for joining us.(136)
LISA DESJARDINS:民主党总统候选人Andrew Yang感谢你加入我们。

ANDREW YANG: Well, thank you.(137)
安德鲁杨:好的,谢谢。

It's been a pleasure.(138)
这是我的荣幸。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org