How faculty mentors can help first-generation students succeed
2018-05-15 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Now we continue our specialseries on Rethinking College.(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:现在我们继续我们关于反思大学的特别系列。

Tonight, we focus on so-called first-generationcollege goers.(2)
今晚,我们专注于所谓的第一代大学生。

This year, 45 percent of freshman in the Universityof California system are the first in their(3)
今年,加利福尼亚大学系统的新生45%是他们中的第一个

family to seek a four year degree.(4)
家庭寻求四年学位。

Hari Sreenivasan visited UCLA to see how campusesare responding to the challenge.(5)
Hari Sreenivasan参观了加州大学洛杉矶分校,看看校园如何应对挑战。

It's part of our weekly series Making theGrade.(6)
这是我们每周系列制作成绩的一部分。

LORRIE FRASURE-YOKLEY, UCLA: I am a first-generationscholar.(7)
LORRIE FRASURE-YOKLEY,UCLA:我是第一代学者。

I was born and raised on the South Side ofChicago.(8)
我在芝加哥南部出生长大。

HARI SREENIVASAN: Professor Lorrie Frasure-Yokleysays her path to becoming the first tenured(9)
HARI SREENIVASAN:Lorrie Frasure-Yokley教授说她成为第一个终身雇员的道路

woman of color at UCLA's Political ScienceDepartment has shaped who she is.(10)
加利福尼亚大学洛杉矶分校政治系的色彩女子塑造了她的身份。

LORRIE FRASURE-YOKLEY: I'm a product of mymom, a high school education, and my dad,(11)
LORRIE FRASURE-YOKLEY:我是我母亲,高中教育和我父亲的产物,

an eighth-grade education.(12)
八年级的教育。

HARI SREENIVASAN: And that's important tothese students, who are themselves the first(13)
HARI SREENIVASAN:这对那些自己是第一个的学生很重要

in their families to go to college.(14)
在他们的家人上大学。

Frasure-Yokley is taking part in a new initiativefrom California's U.C. system that uses first-generation(15)
Frasure-Yokley正在参加加利福尼亚州第一代加州大学统一系统的新举措

faculty to guide first-generation students.(16)
教师引导第一代学生。

LORRIE FRASURE-YOKLEY: I'm teaching this classtoday because I want you guys to be OK with(17)
LORRIE FRASURE-YOKLEY:今天我正在教这门课,因为我希望你们可以跟着

being the first.(18)
是第一个。

I want to be able to validate your concerns,and your fears, and your frustrations with(19)
我希望能够验证你的顾虑,你的恐惧,以及你的挫折

being first-generation, because I have beenthere.(20)
是第一代,因为我一直在那里。

HARI SREENIVASAN: Last fall, university administratorsasked 900 first-generation faculty and staff,(21)
HARI SREENIVASAN:去年秋天,大学管理人员要求900名第一代教职员工,

like Frasure-Yokley, to become mentors.(22)
像Frasure-Yokley,成为导师。

The goal is to decrease dropout rates.(23)
目标是降低辍学率。

Nationally, only 40 percent of first-generationcollege students make it to graduation.(24)
在全国范围内,只有40%的第一代大学生毕业。

LORRIE FRASURE-YOKLEY: We want our first-generationstudents to thrive.(25)
LORRIE FRASURE-YOKLEY:我们希望我们的第一代学生蓬勃发展。

We want them to feel like they belong hereand that they're going to be here for four(26)
我们希望他们觉得他们属于这里,他们将在这里四次

years through graduation.(27)
毕业年。

HARI SREENIVASAN: University of Californiapresident Janet Napolitano:(28)
HARI SREENIVASAN:加州大学校长珍妮特纳波利塔诺:

JANET NAPOLITANO, President, University ofCalifornia: Admissions are one thing.(29)
加州大学校长JANET NAPOLITANO:招生是一回事。

Enrollment is one thing.(30)
注册是一回事。

But graduation is -- is the thing.(31)
但毕业是 - 是事。

HARI SREENIVASAN: But to succeed in a demandingacademic environment like UCLA, the first-gen(32)
HARI SREENIVASAN:但要在像加州大学洛杉矶分校这样一个要求苛刻的学术环境中取得成功

students have to overcome something calledthe impostor syndrome.(33)
学生们必须克服一种叫冒名顶替者综合症

LORRIE FRASURE-YOKLEY: One of the definitionsof impostor syndrome is students who worked(34)
LORRIE FRASURE-YOKLEY:冒名顶替者综合征的定义之一是工作的学生

really hard to get into campus, but they stillare carrying with them, like, a sense that(35)
真的很难进入校园,但他们仍然带着他们,就像一种感觉

they don't truly belong, that, at any moment,someone is going to come and tap them on their(36)
他们并不真正属于,在任何时刻,都会有人来打他们

shoulder and say, you know what, we made amistake, right?(37)
肩膀说,你知道吗,我们犯了一个错误,对吧?

For first-generation scholars who are carryingaround with them impostor syndrome, you are(38)
对于携带他们冒名顶替者综合症的第一代学者,你是

not allowing yourself to thrive.(39)
不让自己茁壮成长。

Something as fundamental as saying, hey, Ideserve to go to office hours every week if(40)
像说话一样重要,嘿,我应该每周上班时间

I want to.(41)
我要。

I deserve to have someone sort of sit downwith me during their office hours, and I can(42)
我应该在办公时间有人陪我坐下来,我可以

ask questions, right, one on one.(43)
一对一地提出问题。

I deserve that opportunity.(44)
我值得这个机会。

HARI SREENIVASAN: UCLA senior Violet Salazarknows what impostor syndrome feels like.(45)
HARI SREENIVASAN:UCLA资深Viola Salazar知道什么是冒名顶替者综合症。

Salazar helped create an entire dorm floordedicated to incoming first-generation students,(46)
Salazar帮助创建了一个专门针对新生第一代学生的整个宿舍楼,

after her own freshman experience proved difficult.(47)
在她自己的新生经历证明困难之后。

VIOLET SALAZAR, UCLA Student: It was kindof hard to get to know people when you always(48)
加州大学洛杉矶分校的紫罗兰萨拉萨尔学生:当你总是很难与人认识

felt like you were, I guess, lesser than them.(49)
感觉就像你,我想,比他们小。

HARI SREENIVASAN: Because you're the first?(50)
HARI SREENIVASAN:因为你是第一个?

VIOLET SALAZAR: Because I'm first-gen, orbecause I am Latina, and also just coming(51)
紫罗兰萨拉萨尔:因为我是第一代人,或者因为我是拉丁人,也只是来

from a very low socioeconomic background.(52)
来自非常低的社会经济背景。

HARI SREENIVASAN: On the day we visited, thefirst-generation dorm hosted a meeting led(53)
HARI SREENIVASAN:在我们访问的那天,第一代宿舍主持了一次会议

by student Clara Nguyen, a first-gen studentherself who also works with UCLA's mental(54)
由学生Clara Nguyen,一位同时也在加州大学洛杉矶分校心理学系工作的第一代学生

health resources.(55)
健康资源。

CLARA NGUYEN, UCLA Student: How do you practiceresilience as a first-generation student?(56)
CLARA NGUYEN,加州大学洛杉矶分校学生:你如何练习作为第一代学生的韧性?

It's really easy to get caught up in yourfailures, I feel like, in college.(57)
在大学里,我觉得很容易陷入失败之中。

So it's really important to be resilient,to keep in mind that it's OK, and you can,(58)
因此,坚韧不拔是非常重要的,要牢记,这是好的,

like, recover.(59)
像恢复。

So, thoughts are the way that you think aboutthings, like, oh, man, I think I'm going to(60)
所以,思考就是你思考事物的方式,比如,噢,伙计,我想我会去做的

be bad on this test.(61)
在这个测试中不好。

Or, if I start getting nervous, like, my heartstarts beating really fast or I start sweating,(62)
或者,如果我开始感到紧张,就像我的心开始跳动得很快,或者我开始出汗,

that's kind of a physical symptom, and thenthat might affect how I behave.(63)
这是一种生理症状,然后这可能会影响我的行为。

What is an example of how your thoughts, behaviorsand physical symptoms like kind of come together?(64)
什么是你的想法,行为和身体症状如何聚在一起的例子?

STUDENT: You first think like, oh, my God,I didn't study enough, I'm going to fail,(65)
学生:你首先想,哦,我的上帝,我没有足够的学习,我会失败,

blah, blah, blah.(66)
等等等等等等。

And then it's like I start sweating a lot,and my palms are sweating, that I can't even(67)
然后就像我开始出汗很多,我的手掌出汗,我甚至不能

hold still the pencil.(68)
不要拿铅笔。

And then I actually start forgetting things.(69)
然后我开始忘记事情。

And I'm like, I studied this.(70)
我就是这样研究的。

What's going on?(71)
这是怎么回事?

And then I forget things, and then I actuallyfail.(72)
然后我忘记了事情,然后我实际上失败了。

CLARA NGUYEN: One of the techniques that weuse to combat that cycle is called mindfulness.(73)
CLARA NGUYEN:我们用来对付这个周期的技术之一就是正念。

But being mindful is basically honing intothose thoughts that you have and trying to(74)
但是,正念基本上是磨合你有和想要的那些想法

control that environment around you.(75)
控制你周围的环境。

I wanted her to notice physical symptoms,like the hands sweating, to kind of manage(76)
我希望她注意身体上的症状,比如手出汗,进行某种管理

your thoughts better, and say, hey, you know,I'm not unprepared for this test.(77)
你的想法更好,并说,嘿,你知道,我对这个测试毫无准备。

I have the skills to do it.(78)
我有能力做到这一点。

Then maybe she can try to tell her body tocalm down, and then those things will start(79)
那么也许她可以试着告诉她的身体冷静下来,然后这些事情就会开始

coming back to her brain.(80)
回到她的大脑。

HARI SREENIVASAN: Many first-generation studentsare also balancing the guilt of not contributing(81)
HARI SREENIVASAN:许多第一代学生也正在平衡没有贡献的罪责

to their family's income when they're awayat school.(82)
当他们在学校时,他们的家庭的收入。

CLARA NGUYEN: You might have a financial struggle,so you should go to work, or you have siblings.(83)
CLARA NGUYEN:你可能有经济上的挣扎,所以你应该去工作,或者你有兄弟姐妹。

You need to take care of them before you getto do school.(84)
在你上学之前你需要照顾他们。

I think those things are hard to let go ofwhen you get here.(85)
我想这些东西在你到达这里时是很难放开的。

HARI SREENIVASAN: And, for some, there isthe added stress of immigration status.(86)
HARI SREENIVASAN:对于一些人来说,移民身份增加了压力。

Freshman Jaquelin Tafolla, who is a U.S. citizen,worries that, in the current political climate,(87)
作为美国公民的新生Jaquelin Tafolla担心,在当前的政治环境下,

friends from her home community could be suddenlydeported.(88)
她家乡的朋友可能会突然被驱逐出境。

JAQUELIN TAFOLLA, UCLA Student: And thereare millions of families that are struggling,(89)
JAQUELIN TAFOLLA,加州大学洛杉矶分校学生:还有数百万家庭正在挣扎,

whether it's having that scary moment whereyou never know if your family member is going(90)
是否有可怕的时刻,你永远不知道你的家人是否会去

to get deported, or you never know.(91)
被驱逐出境,或者你永远不知道。

There can be a moment in your life where oneday you're happy with your family sitting(92)
在你的生活中,有一天你会对你的家人感到满意

at dinner, and the next day, your mom, yourDad, your brother, your sister, you find out(93)
在晚餐,第二天,你的妈妈,你的爸爸,你的兄弟,你的妹妹,你会发现

you're getting deported.(94)
你被驱逐出境。

There's like that moment where you know thatcan happen.(95)
就像那个你知道会发生的时刻一样。

So it's very scary.(96)
所以这非常可怕。

Sorry.(97)
抱歉。

HARI SREENIVASAN: University administratorshope their new focus on mentoring first-generation(98)
HARI SREENIVASAN:大学管理者希望他们的新的重点在指导第一代

students will help both students and theirfamilies succeed.(99)
学生将帮助学生和他们的家人取得成功。

JANET NAPOLITANO: We know that our first-genstudents within just a few years of graduating(100)
JANET NAPOLITANO:我们知道我们的第一代学生在短短几年内毕业

are making more than their entire families.(101)
比他们的整个家庭都要多。

We also know that they're tremendous contributorsto the state of California, to the economy(102)
我们也知道他们是加利福尼亚州和经济的巨大贡献者

of California.(103)
的加州。

And it's what higher education is there for,particularly public higher education, to open(104)
这就是高等教育,特别是公立高等教育的开放

those doors of opportunity, and to reallygive meaning to the cliched phrase the American(105)
那些有机会的大门,并且真正赋予美国人这个陈词滥调的意思

dream.(106)
梦想。

HARI SREENIVASAN: In Los Angeles, I'm HariSreenivasan for the "PBS NewsHour."(107)
HARI SREENIVASAN:在洛杉矶,我是Hari Sreenivasan的“PBS NewsHour”。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org