In Common's new memoir about healing, 'love can be an action'
2019-08-20 00:00:00


JOHN YANG: Now a conversation with a rapperfrom the South Side of Chicago, who's branched(1)
杨约翰:现在与芝加哥南部的一位说唱歌手进行对话

out beyond music and has a new book and albumthat explore his own personal history.(2)
超越音乐,有一本新书和专辑,探索自己的个人历史。

Amna Nawaz's interview with Common is partof our ongoing arts and culture series, Canvas.(3)
Amna Nawaz对Common的采访是我们正在进行的艺术和文化系列Canvas的一部分。

AMNA NAWAZ: He's one of the biggest namesin hip-hop, known for the rhythm and rhymes(4)
AMNA NAWAZ:他是嘻哈界最知名的人物之一,以节奏和押韵而闻名

he's created over a 27-year career in music.(5)
他创立了27年的音乐生涯。

Over the decades, Common the rapper has addedactor, activist, and author to his resume,(6)
几十年来,普通的说唱歌手在他的简历中加入了演员,活动家和作家,

and the awards have followed.(7)
并且奖项随之而来。

He's won an Oscar, a Grammy and a Golden Globefor "Glory," the powerful theme song he co-wrote(8)
他为“荣耀”赢得了奥斯卡奖,格莱美奖和金球奖,这是他共同撰写的强大主题曲

with John Legend for the 2014 film "Selma."(9)
约翰传奇为2014年的电影“塞尔玛”。

He's also appeared in movies and on TV, including"The Chi," a series about South Side Chicago,(10)
他也出现在电影和电视上,包括“The Chi”,一部关于南边芝加哥的系列,

Common's hometown.(11)
共同的故乡。

COMMON, Musician/Actor/Author: It took me12 years in Stateville to find my way to Allah.(12)
COMMON,音乐家/演员/作者:我在Stateville花了12年才找到了通往真主的道路。

AMNA NAWAZ: Lonnie Rashid Lynn, better knownas Common, first emerged on the rap scene(13)
AMNA NAWAZ:Lonnie Rashid Lynn,更为人熟知的Common,首次出现在说唱界

in the '90s.(14)
在90年代。

In 2000, his first major label album, "LikeWater for Chocolate," brought big success,(15)
2000年,他的第一张主要唱片专辑“Like Water for Chocolate”取得了巨大的成功,

and his 2005 album, "Be," was a commercialhit, leading to one of several Grammy Awards.(16)
他的2005年专辑“Be”获得了商业广告,并获得了多项格莱美奖。

As his fame has grown, Common has used hisgrowing platform to become more politically(17)
随着他的名声越来越大,Common使用他不断发展的平台变得更加政治化

vocal.(18)
声乐。

A frequent guest at the Obama White House,he's faced criticism from Republicans.(19)
他是奥巴马白宫的常客,面临共和党人的批评。

He's performed at the March for Our Livesgun safety rally.(20)
他参加了March for Our Lives枪支安全集会。

and he's been outspoken when it comes to theTrump administration's immigration policies.(21)
在涉及特朗普政府的移民政策时,他一直直言不讳。

Through it all, Common continues to make music.(22)
通过这一切,Common继续制作音乐。

His new album, "Let Love," accompanies hisnew memoir, by the same name.(23)
他的新专辑“Let Love”伴随着他的新回忆录,同名。

He recently came by the "NewsHour" to talkabout both.(24)
他最近通过“新闻时报”来谈论两者。

Common, welcome to the "NewsHour."(25)
常见,欢迎来到“NewsHour”。

COMMON: Oh, man, I love hearing that.(26)
普通:哦,伙计,我喜欢听到这个。

Thank you for having me.(27)
谢谢你拥有我。

(LAUGHTER)
AMNA NAWAZ: I want to ask about your memoirnow.(28)
AMNA NAWAZ:我现在想问你的回忆录。

It's called "Let Love Have the Last Word."(29)
它被称为“让爱拥有最后的话语”。

There is an accompanying album coming outwith it, too.(30)
还有一张随附的专辑也随之出现。

What was it about this stage of your career,this stage of your life that made you want(31)
关于你职业生涯的这个阶段,你生活的这个阶段是什么让你想要的

to sit down and write this book?(32)
坐下来写这本书?

COMMON: Well, I think it's a lot of what wesee going on in the world, like the divisiveness,(33)
COMMON:嗯,我认为这是我们在世界上看到的很多东西,比如分裂,

the anxiety, a lot of the -- including theattacks and things.(34)
焦虑,很多 - 包括攻击和事物。

I really wanted to put -- instill somethingthat was hopeful, instill something that could(35)
我真的很想 - 灌输一些有希望的东西,灌输一些可能的东西

be solution-oriented, and something that hasbeen an antidote for me, a resource for me(36)
以解决方案为导向,这对我来说是一种解毒剂,对我来说是一种资源

to overcome, you know, tough times in my life.(37)
克服,你知道,我生命中的艰难时期。

I wanted to share with other people, becauseso many of my conversations was based around(38)
我想与其他人分享,因为我的很多谈话都是基于

anxiety, and so many of the conversationsI was having with people, and I was like,(39)
焦虑,以及我与人们进行的许多对话,我就像,

hey, you all, we can do it.(40)
嘿,大家好,我们可以做到。

We can -- like, I got hope.(41)
我们可以 - 就像,我有希望。

We can do it as people, as human beings.(42)
我们可以像人一样做人。

Let's find the common place for us and, like,start from there.(43)
让我们为我们找到共同点,并从那里开始。

AMNA NAWAZ: It's also a very intensely personalbook, this memoir, right?(44)
AMNA NAWAZ:这本也是一本非常私人的书,这本回忆录,对吧?

COMMON: Yes.(45)
普通:是的。

AMNA NAWAZ: And I was reading that your daughteractually inspired a lot of what you shared(46)
AMNA NAWAZ:我读到你的女儿实际上激发了很多你所分享的东西

in here.(47)
在这里。

Tell me about that.(48)
告诉我这件事。

COMMON: Yes.(49)
普通:是的。

Well, we had a conversation, my daughter andI.(50)
好吧,我们进行了一次对话,我的女儿和我。

She really challenged me as a father whereshe told me places where she didn't think(51)
作为一个父亲,她真的向我挑战,她告诉我她没想到的地方

I was, like, showing up as a father.(52)
我就像出现在父亲身边一样。

And, you know, initially my emotion was, wait,but I love you.(53)
而且,你知道,最初我的感情是,等等,但我爱你。

And I was hurting, defensive, and even, withsome things, angry about some of the things(54)
我正在伤害,防御,甚至,有些事情,对某些事情感到愤怒

she said.(55)
她说。

But somewhere during that course of the conversation,I just looked at her and said, man, this is(56)
但在谈话过程中的某个地方,我只是看着她说,男人,这是

my daughter.(57)
我的女儿。

Let me listen to her.(58)
让我听听她的意见。

I knew I wanted to write about love, but notjust romantic love.(59)
我知道我想写爱情,但不仅仅是浪漫的爱情。

So, when that incident happened, it just gaveme like more things to talk about how it can(60)
所以,当这件事发生时,它只是给了我更多的东西来讨论它是如何做的

be an action, how it can be a practice.(61)
是一种行动,它如何成为一种行为。

AMNA NAWAZ: One of the other things that youshare for the first time, speaking publicly(62)
AMNA NAWAZ:你公开发言的第一次分享的其他事情之一

about it, was that, as a child, you suffereda very serious trauma.(63)
关于它,是的,作为一个孩子,你遭受了非常严重的创伤。

COMMON: Yes.(64)
普通:是的。

AMNA NAWAZ: You were molested when you were9 years old.(65)
AMNA NAWAZ:当你9岁时,你被骚扰了。

COMMON: Yes.(66)
普通:是的。

AMNA NAWAZ: What did it take for to you getto a place where you felt like you could talk(67)
AMNA NAWAZ:你到了一个你觉得可以说话的地方需要做些什么

about that?(68)
关于那个?

COMMON: I felt that, if I decided to talkabout it, it would be healing for me, but(69)
常见问题:我觉得,如果我决定谈论它,那对我来说就是治愈,但是

also healing for others, because other peopleexperience sexual abuse, molestation, just(70)
也为他人治愈,因为其他人经历性虐待,骚扰,只是

physical abuse.(71)
身体虐待。

And I knew, as a black man, me talking aboutit would give a gateway and an opening for(72)
我知道,作为一个黑人,我在谈论它会给一个门户和一个开放

other men, black people, brown people, youknow, just to be able to talk about it, because(73)
其他男人,黑人,棕色人,你知道,只是为了能够谈论它,因为

-- and I bring us, you know, black peopleinto the equation, because, for us, in our(74)
- 我把黑人带进了等式,因为,对我们来说,在我们的

culture, it's not really discussed.(75)
文化,没有真正讨论过。

Like, when those things happen, it's not talkedabout as much on, how do we solve this?(76)
就像,当这些事情发生时,它没有被谈论太多,我们如何解决这个问题?

How do we, like, stop the cycle?(77)
我们如何停止循环?

So I really knew that, if I told my storyand told it in a way that is really just raw(78)
所以我真的知道,如果我告诉我的故事,并以一种真正原始的方式讲述它

and truthful, and still acknowledge that I'min the process, and it would allow other human(79)
而且真实,并且仍然承认我在这个过程中,并且它会允许其他人

beings to come out and talk about it, andhopefully be a part of the healing, because(80)
众生出来谈论它,并希望成为治疗的一部分,因为

my ultimate goal is to, how do -- to stopthe cycle, yes.(81)
我的最终目标是,如何 - 停止循环,是的。

AMNA NAWAZ: Do you feel like you're stillgoing through that healing?(82)
AMNA NAWAZ:你觉得你还在经历那种治疗吗?

Where do you feel you are right now in yourpersonal journey?(83)
在您的个人旅程中,您觉得自己现在在哪里?

COMMON: I feel like I'm in a great place offorgiveness.(84)
常见的:我觉得我处在一个宽恕的好地方。

I'm still learning, like, what -- how thisaffected my life in different ways.(85)
我还在学习,比如,这是怎样的 - 这会以不同的方式影响我的生活。

And, you know, one of the things I'm learningthrough the process is to be kind to myself,(86)
而且,你知道,我在整个过程中学到的一件事就是善待自己,

you know, and not just, like, judge everythingI do.(87)
你知道,而不仅仅是,判断我所做的一切。

When I make mistakes, or just to beat myselfdown, like, I try learn from the mistakes(88)
当我犯错误,或者只是打败自己时,我会尝试从错误中吸取教训

and acknowledge where I was wrong and moveforward.(89)
并承认我错在哪里并向前迈进。

Now, this is something where I wasn't wrong,but I still -- as a human being, you hold(90)
现在,这是我没有错的地方,但我仍然 - 作为一个人,你持有

guilt, you hold shame.(91)
内疚,你感到羞耻。

And I just try to make sure I'm being lovingto myself, and in the process deal with each(92)
而我只是想确保自己爱自己,并在此过程中处理每一个问题

emotion that I have.(93)
我有的情感。

And I think, overall, I feel like this isbigger than me anyway.(94)
而且我认为,总的来说,我觉得这比我还要大。

AMNA NAWAZ: You have never been afraid oftackling the tough stuff in your career, whether(95)
AMNA NAWAZ:无论如何,你从未害怕解决职业生涯中的困难

it's about your own personal journeys.(96)
这是关于你自己的个人旅程。

You mentioned your criminal justice reformwork.(97)
你提到了你的刑事司法改革工作。

You tweet a lot about immigration detention.(98)
你发了很多关于移民拘留的推文。

You were tweeting about the ICE raids recentlyand injustices that you see going on around(99)
你最近发布了关于ICE突袭的推文和你看到的不公正

you.(100)
您。

Where does that come from?(101)
它来自哪里?

Do you feel, like, a sense of responsibilityto pay attention and be engaged?(102)
你是否觉得有一种注意力和参与感的责任感?

COMMON: Yes, I think -- you know, I grew upon the South Side of Chicago, a community(103)
COMMON:是的,我想 - 你知道,我在芝加哥南部长大,一个社区

which I really love.(104)
我真的很喜欢。

And that community is like many other communitiesthat suffer from being marginalized, being(105)
这个社区就像许多其他被社会边缘化的社区一样

treated less than, having lack of opportunitiesand resources.(106)
处理不足,缺乏机会和资源。

So, when I see somebody being pushed down,I just relate to it, and I don't like it,(107)
所以,当我看到有人被推倒时,我只是与之相关,我不喜欢它,

meaning, like, when I see what's going onwith the people that's trying to get into(108)
意思是,当我看到正在尝试进入的人们正在发生什么时

in the country and families being separated,it's just -- it's not fair life.(109)
在这个国家和家庭被分开,这只是 - 这不是公平的生活。

It's not good humanity to other people.(110)
这对其他人来说不是好人。

So I have to speak up.(111)
所以我必须说出来。

It's my duty as a human being, as an artist,and not only speaking now.(112)
这是我作为一个人,作为一个艺术家的责任,而不仅仅是现在说话。

To me, my speaking has to become action, andthat's what I'm in -- more involved in.(113)
对我来说,我的演讲必须成为行动,这就是我所处的 - 更多地参与其中。

Like, I have Imagine Justice.(114)
就像,我有想象正义。

That's why I went to the prisons.(115)
这就是我去监狱的原因。

That's the organization I'm a part of, wherewe do social activism in different spaces,(116)
这就是我所参与的组织,我们在不同的空间进行社会活动,

including immigration as one of the spaceswe are now in the process of figuring out,(117)
包括移民作为我们现在正在搞清楚的空间之一,

how can we be a solution to this issue?(118)
我们怎样才能成为这个问题的解决方案?

AMNA NAWAZ: It's fair to say music is stillyour first love?(119)
AMNA NAWAZ:可以说音乐仍然是你的初恋吗?

COMMON: It's my first love, but I love, like,acting just as much as I love music.(120)
COMMON:这是我的初恋,但我爱,就像我喜欢音乐一样。

So, I'm not going to deny that.(121)
所以,我不会否认这一点。

I love acting.(122)
我喜欢表演。

It's fun.(123)
好有趣。

(LAUGHTER)
AMNA NAWAZ: You did say something in yourbook I wanted to read to you, though, about(124)
AMNA NAWAZ:你确实在你的书中说了一些我想读给你的东西

sort of the roots of where your music comesfrom, which is freestyling.(125)
你的音乐来自何处的根源,这是自由的。

COMMON: Yes.(126)
普通:是的。

AMNA NAWAZ: Talking about rapping, you say:"I have been rapping for more than 25 years(127)
AMNA NAWAZ:谈论说唱,你说:“我已经说唱了超过25年

now.(128)
现在。

I would rap for free.(129)
我会免费说唱。

I would rap if I lived on the streets.(130)
如果我住在街上,我会说唱。

I would rap if I were a preacher or a prisoneror a politician."(131)
如果我是传教士,囚犯或政治家,我会说唱。“

You say it's your release, that, sometimes,even if you can't do it in the studio, you(132)
你说这是你的发布,有时候,即使你不能在工作室里这样做,你

just hop in the car and you go and you do.(133)
只要跳上车,你就去吧。

You really just do that?(134)
你真的那么做吗?

COMMON: Yes.(135)
普通:是的。

AMNA NAWAZ: You just get out in the car andfreestyle?(136)
AMNA NAWAZ:你刚下车和自由泳?

COMMON: Yes.(137)
普通:是的。

I mean, I love -- that's actually how I writemy songs, is, like, I get in the car and I(138)
我的意思是,我喜欢 - 这就是我写歌的方式,就像我上车和我一样

just, like, put on a beat, and I say my rapsout loud.(139)
就像,节拍一样,我大声说出我的声音。

I just start freestyling whatever lines Ilike.(140)
我只是开始任意我喜欢的任何线条。

I do believe it's a divine expression, meaningI'm only creating when I'm at my -- when I'm(141)
我确实相信这是一种神圣的表达,这意味着我只是在我生活的时候创造 - 当我的时候

in like a pure place and I'm feeling likethis -- I'm not thinking too hard.(142)
在一个纯净的地方,我感觉像这样 - 我不是在想太多。

AMNA NAWAZ: Yes.(143)
AMNA NAWAZ:是的。

COMMON: It's just coming out.(144)
普通:它刚刚问世。

It's just flowing.(145)
它只是在流动。

Like, there's no way to, like, try to describethe process, besides I can tell you the steps,(146)
就像,除了我可以告诉你步骤之外,没有办法尝试描述这个过程,

but I can't really tell you how it's done.(147)
但我真的不能告诉你它是如何完成的。

AMNA NAWAZ: Common, I can't thank you enoughfor coming by.(148)
AMNA NAWAZ:很常见,我不能感谢你的到来。

The new book is called "Let Love Have theLast Word."(149)
新书名为“让爱有最后的话语”。

COMMON: Yes.(150)
普通:是的。

AMNA NAWAZ: Thanks for your time.(151)
AMNA NAWAZ:谢谢你的时间。

COMMON: Thank you for having me.(152)
普通:谢谢你拥有我。

Sometimes, she might even ask if I can comehere and rap off facts.(153)
有时候,她甚至可能会问我是否可以来这里扯掉事实。

I'm going to tell you this.(154)
我要告诉你这件事。

Even sitting in the booth, any time I talkabout facts, I speak truth.(155)
即使坐在展位上,无论何时我谈论事实,我都说实话。

That's what it is.(156)
就是这样。

I spring truth to power.(157)
我向真理说实话。

I came to do this at the "PBS NewsHour."(158)
我是在“PBS NewsHour”来做这件事的。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org