Comedy writers Amber Ruffin and Jenny Hagel's Brief But Spectacular take on late night
2019-11-22 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Tonight's Brief But Spectacularpulls back the curtain of the NBC show "Late(1)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):今晚的简介,但壮观的场面拉开了NBC节目“晚了

Night With Seth Meyers."(2)
塞思·迈耶斯之夜。”

Amber Ruffin and Jenny Hagel write for theshow and perform regularly in the long-running(3)
琥珀色鲁芬(Amber Ruffin)和珍妮·黑格尔(Jenny Hagel)为节目写作,并在长期演出中定期表演

"Jokes Seth Can't Tell" segment.(4)
“笑话塞思无法分辨”部分。

The writers, funny comedians in their ownright, give us a sense of what it takes to(5)
作家,本身就是滑稽的喜剧演员,使我们对如何

get a joke on the air.(6)
开个玩笑。

This segment is part of our ongoing Canvasseries on arts and culture.(7)
此部分是我们正在进行的艺术和文化画布系列的一部分。

AMBER RUFFIN, "Late Night With Seth Meyers":When you hear a joke that you know is the(8)
琥珀色RUFFIN,“与塞思·迈耶斯晚安”:当您听到一个笑话时,您就会知道

perfect joke, first of all, usually, thathappens to me when it is someone else's joke.(9)
完美的笑话,首先,通常,这是别人的笑话。

JENNY HAGEL, "Late Night With Seth Meyers":Yes.(10)
詹妮·哈格尔(JENNY HAGEL),《与塞思·迈耶斯(Seth Meyers)晚晚》:是。

I feel like comedy writers rarely even laugh.(11)
我觉得喜剧作家很少笑。

When a comedy writer hears a joke that good,they all go, oh.(12)
当喜剧作家听到一个很好的笑话时,他们全都走了,哦。

Oh, you did it.(13)
哦,你做到了。

You got it.(14)
你说对了。

When I first started writing "Late Night WithSeth Meyers," I was trying very hard to kind(15)
当我第一次开始写“ Seth Meyers的深夜”时,我非常努力地尝试

of figure out Seth's voice.(16)
弄清楚塞思的声音。

And there happened to be an item in the newsthat was about lesbians, and I don't remember(17)
而且新闻中恰好有一个关于女同性恋的报道,我不记得了

what it was, but I happen to be a lesbian.(18)
是什么,但我碰巧是个女同性恋。

So, I saw that headline and I was like, herewe go.(19)
所以,我看到了这个标题,然后我就开始了。

And I think I submitted like 10 jokes aboutthat.(20)
我想我提出了10个类似的笑话。

And then I saw the head writer, Alex Baze,in the hallway later and, just jokingly, I(21)
然后我在走廊上看到了首席作家亚历克斯·巴兹(Alex Baze),开玩笑的是,我

was like, "Let me know if you need more lesbianjokes."(22)
就像是,“让我知道您是否需要更多的女同性恋笑话。”

And he was like, "We cannot use them."(23)
他说:“我们不能使用它们。”

And I didn't -- I just hadn't thought aboutthat.(24)
而且我没有-我只是没有考虑过。

Like, right, Seth can't burn lesbians.(25)
就像,对了,塞思不能烧掉女同性恋。

I pulled Amber aside.(26)
我把琥珀放在一边。

And I said: "Hey, what if we tried to do asegment where we tell jokes that Seth can't(27)
我说:“嘿,如果我们试图做一个段,告诉笑话塞思不能

tell?"(28)
告诉?”

And Amber was like, "Let's figure that out."(29)
琥珀像是,“让我们弄清楚。”

AMBER RUFFIN: In "Jokes Seth Can't Tell,"Seth sets up the joke, and then the minority(30)
琥珀色RUFFIN:在“笑话塞思不能说”中,塞思设置了一个玩笑,然后是少数

says the punchline.(31)
重点说。

JENNY HAGEL: Yes.(32)
詹妮·哈格尔:是的。

SETH MEYERS, Host, "Late Night With Seth Meyers":Focus Features has released the trailer for(33)
塞思·迈耶斯(SETH MEYERS),主持人,“与塞思·迈耶斯晚间约会”:Focus Features发布了

the new movie "Harriet" about Harriet Tubman.(34)
关于哈丽特·塔布曼的新电影《哈丽埃特》。

AMBER RUFFIN: It tells the unlikely storyof a black lady who, against all odds, was(35)
琥珀色·鲁芬(AMBER RUFFIN):讲述了一个黑人女士的不大可能故事。

the main character in a movie.(36)
电影中的主要角色。

(LAUGHTER)
AMBER RUFFIN: If I talk about slavery, it'snot as big a bummer as it is for white people(37)
琥珀色鲁芬(AMBER RUFFIN):如果我谈论奴隶制,那简直不像白人那样可耻

to hear about it, which is something I learneach time we do "Jokes Seth Can't Tell," and(38)
听到这件事,这是我每次我们做“笑话塞思不能说的”时所学到的知识,并且

they go, oh, that's too much of a bummer.(39)
他们走了,哦,太可惜了。

And you go, all right, I guess so.(40)
然后你走了,好的,我想是的。

JENNY HAGEL: Like, I had a joke where therewas some setup about gay weddings.(41)
詹妮·哈格(JENNY HAGEL):就像我开玩笑说,同性恋婚礼有些安排。

And then Seth said, "Jenny, what's the differencebetween a straight wedding and a gay wedding?"(42)
然后塞思说:“珍妮,纯正婚礼和同性恋婚礼有什么区别?”

And I said, "The reason the parents are crying,"which to me is very funny.(43)
我说:“父母哭泣的原因”,这对我来说很有趣。

(LAUGHTER)
JENNY HAGEL: But I happened to mention itto a friend of mine before that segment aired.(44)
詹妮·哈格尔:但是,在那个部分播出之前,我碰巧向我的一个朋友提到了它。

And they're like: "You can't say that on television.(45)
他们就像:“您不能在电视上这么说。

That's too sad."(46)
太可悲了。”

There's a lot of conversation about, like,P.C. culture and what's too far.(47)
关于PC文化和太多的话题,有很多话题。

And we're not trying to court that line ofoffensiveness, but we're trying to court this(48)
而且我们不是在尝试进攻线,而是在试图

line between like, there's things to be saidabout our respective communities that are(49)
之间的界限,关于我们各自的社区有话要说

hard and true.(50)
艰苦而真实。

AMBER RUFFIN: Yes.(51)
琥珀色鲁芬:是的。

JENNY HAGEL: And we're interested in exploringthose through jokes.(52)
珍妮·哈格尔(JENNY HAGEL):而且我们有兴趣通过开玩笑来探讨这些内容。

AMBER RUFFIN: Are we saying something newthat the audience can hear and then learn(53)
琥珀·鲁夫芬(AMBER RUFFIN):我们是否在说一些新的内容,听众可以听到然后学习

and understand in one fell swoop?(54)
一口气明白了吗?

JENNY HAGEL: I don't love can't, and whenpeople talk about there are things you can't(55)
珍妮·哈格尔:我不爱不能,当人们谈论有些事情你不能

joke about.(56)
开玩笑。

But I think it's important to ask, what'syour intent?(57)
但我认为重要的是要问,你的意图是什么?

We live in America.(58)
我们生活在美国。

We have the First Amendment.(59)
我们有第一修正案。

We can say anything.(60)
我们可以说什么。

So, I don't think it's about can't.(61)
所以,我不认为这不可能。

It's just, what do you want to do with thattime and space that you have, and does it(62)
就是说,您想如何利用自己所拥有的时间和空间来做

feel good to you, and does it feel good tothe people hearing it?(63)
对您感觉良好,对听到它的人来说感觉良好吗?

I can't imagine living in these times, wakingup every morning, seeing the news, and then(64)
我无法想象现在生活在这些地方,每天早晨醒来,看到新闻,然后

being like, OK, time to go be a dentist, whereI have to not talk about it all day.(65)
就像,好吧,是时候去看牙医了,我不必整天谈论它。

AMBER RUFFIN: I mean, some people get up andthey cannot talk about it.(66)
琥珀色鲁芬:我的意思是,有些人起床,他们无法谈论。

JENNY HAGEL: Right.(67)
詹妮·哈格尔:对。

You have to go to work and be polite and keepall your feelings here.(68)
您必须去上班,保持彬彬有礼,并保持自己的所有感受。

And we get to have all our feelings...(69)
我们将拥有所有的感觉...

AMBER RUFFIN: I'm sorry if that's your life.(70)
琥珀·鲁芬(AMBER RUFFIN):对不起,这就是你的生活。

JENNY HAGEL: I know.(71)
詹妮·哈格尔:我知道。

And I'm sorry that our life is basically usworking on our feelings, and then you guys(72)
很抱歉,我们的生活基本上就是我们在努力处理自己的感受,然后你们

have to hear it.(73)
必须听到它。

We owe you all a co-pay for therapy.(74)
我们欠你们所有人共同治疗费。

AMBER RUFFIN: But thank you for that.(75)
琥珀色鲁芬:谢谢你。

Thank you.(76)
谢谢。

JENNY HAGEL: Yes.(77)
詹妮·哈格尔:是的。

I'm Jenny Hagel.(78)
我是珍妮·黑格尔。

AMBER RUFFIN: And I'm Amber Ruffin.(79)
琥珀色鲁芬:我是琥珀色鲁芬。

JENNY HAGEL: And this is our Brief But Spectaculartake on...(80)
詹妮·哈格尔:这是我们的简短但壮观的故事……

AMBER RUFFIN: Ladies of late night.(81)
琥珀色鲁芬:女士们深夜。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And you can watch additionalBrief But Spectacular episodes on our Web(82)
JUDY WOODRUFF:您可以在我们的网站上观看其他简短但壮观的剧集

site, PBS.org/NewsHour/Brief.(83)
网站PBS.org/NewsHour/Brief。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org