Karine Jean-Pierre on her mental health struggle and a blueprint for activism
2019-11-26 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Many of our viewers known KarineJean-Pierre as a Democratic strategist and(1)
茱蒂·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):我们的许多观众都将Karine Jean-Pierre称为民主战略家,

one of our analysts.(2)
我们的分析师之一。

In her book "Moving Forward," she shares herpersonal story about growing up the eldest(3)
在她的著作《向前迈进》中,她分享了有关长大成人的个人故事。

child of Haitian immigrants.(4)
海地移民的孩子。

I sat down with her recently and began byasking her how her upbringing shaped her life.(5)
我最近和她坐下,开始询问她的成长经历如何影响她的生活。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE, Author, "Moving Forward":That immigrant upbringing, growing up in New(6)
KARINE JEAN-PIERRE,作家,“前进”:移民的成长,在新州长大

York, it shaped everything and anything thatI'm about, right, who -- the person that I(7)
约克,它塑造了我所要关注的一切,对,谁-我所爱的人

sit here -- that sits before you, my hardwork, my perseverance, the way I meet, see(8)
坐在这里-那摆在您面前,我的辛勤工作,我的毅力,我的相遇方式,

people and talk to people.(9)
人和人交谈。

It has made me who I am, the type of motherthat I have become, partner that I have become.(10)
它让我成为了我,成为了我成为母亲的类型,成为了我的伴侣。

My parents, Haitian immigrants, it's likethe immigrant experience.(11)
我的父母,海地移民,就像移民的经历一样。

They came here for the American dream thatin many ways eluded them.(12)
他们来这里是为了实现美国梦,而这在许多方面都是他们无法企及的。

They still live check to check, but in theireyes, because I made it to the White House,(13)
他们仍然住着支票进行检查,但是在他们眼里,因为我到了白宫,

because their daughter went to Columbia, theyhave received it.(14)
因为他们的女儿去了哥伦比亚,所以他们收到了。

So it's been interesting watching their experience.(15)
因此,观看他们的经历很有趣。

They have been knocked down , and they getback up.(16)
他们被撞倒了,他们重新站起来。

And so, when I'm knocked down, I get backup.(17)
因此,当我被击倒时,我会重新站起来。

Some that experience with them growing uphas really made me so much stronger.(18)
与他们一起成长的一些经历确实使我变得更加强大。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Your family is threaded throughso much of this book, your father a taxi driver,(19)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):您的家庭忙于阅读本书的大部分内容,您的父亲是出租车司机,

but trained as an engineer.(20)
但接受过工程师培训。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Yes.(21)
凯琳·简·皮尔(Karine Jean-Pierre):是的。

Exactly.(22)
究竟。

Yes.(23)
是。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And your mother had been ananny and then a caregiver.(24)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):您的母亲曾经是一个保姆,然后是一个保姆。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Yes, a caregiver.(25)
凯琳·简·皮尔:好的,保姆。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Both of them very involvedin you life.(26)
JUDY WOODRUFF:他们两个都非常参与您的生活。

High expectations for you.(27)
对您的期望很高。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: High expectations.(28)
凯琳·简·皮尔(KARINE JEAN-PIERRE):期望很高。

And it was overwhelming.(29)
这是压倒性的。

Being the oldest of three siblings, I hadto take care of my siblings while my parents(30)
作为三个兄弟姐妹中年龄最大的,我不得不照顾父母的兄弟姐妹

were working six, seven days a week.(31)
每周工作六,七天。

I had to feed them.(32)
我不得不喂他们。

And I'm 8 years older than my sister, 10 yearsolder than my brother, so I was pretty young(33)
我比姐姐大8岁,比哥哥大10岁,所以我还很年轻

when they were toddlers, and make sure theirfood was cooked, make sure diapers were changed,(34)
当他们还蹒跚学步的时候,确保食物煮熟,确保换尿布,

because they had to provide for the family.(35)
因为他们必须养家糊口。

And all of that heaviness, all of that responsibilityled to some dark times as well.(36)
所有的沉重,所有的责任也导致了一些黑暗的时期。

JUDY WOODRUFF: You write about secrets inthe family.(37)
JUDY WOODRUFF:您谈到家庭中的秘密。

There were things your family didn't talkabout.(38)
您的家人没有谈论过一些事情。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Yes.(39)
凯琳·简·皮尔(Karine Jean-Pierre):是的。

Yes.(40)
是。

JUDY WOODRUFF: You write, Karine, about yourown struggles at points in your life with(41)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):卡琳(Karine),您讲述自己在人生中某些时刻的挣扎

emotional difficulties, your own sexuality,coming out as a gay woman, and how your parents(42)
情绪上的困难,自己的性生活,以男同性恋者身份出现以及父母的方式

responded to that.(43)
对此作出回应。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Yes.(44)
凯琳·简·皮尔(Karine Jean-Pierre):是的。

Yes.(45)
是。

So one of the things -- there are so manythings that I bring up that you just laid(46)
因此,其中一件事情-我提出了很多事情,以至于你刚刚铺设

out perfectly, but one of them is mental health.(47)
完美,但其中之一是心理健康。

And one of the reasons I talk about it inthe book is because there is a stigma connected(48)
我在书中谈论它的原因之一是因为存在污名

to mental health.(49)
对心理健康。

And people don't want to talk about what theygo through when they are in dark times and(50)
人们不想谈论他们在黑暗时期经历的事情,

they don't know how to get out of it.(51)
他们不知道如何摆脱困境。

And because of the pressures of me growingup, and just feeling like an outsider all(52)
而且由于我成长的压力,并且感觉自己像个局外人

through my growing up, my young -- young days,there was a time where I attempted to take(53)
从小到大,从小到大,我曾经尝试过一段时光

my life.(54)
我的生活。

I attempted suicide.(55)
我企图自杀。

And it was a dark, dark time in my life, clearly.(56)
显然,那是我一生中黑暗的时刻。

And so I put that in the book.(57)
所以我把它写在书上。

I put it in the book because I want to helppeople.(58)
我把它写在书中是因为我想帮助别人。

I want anybody who has ever felt that wayto feel like there is a way out and to know(59)
我希望任何曾经有过这种感觉的人都觉得有一种出路并知道

there is a way out.(60)
有一个出路。

JUDY WOODRUFF: What do you think got you throughthat?(61)
JUDY WOODRUFF:您认为这使您成功了吗?

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: I think back again -- eventhough there was pressures from the community,(62)
凯琳·简·皮尔(KARINE JEAN-PIERRE):我想一想-即使有来自社区的压力,

pressures from my family that I put on tomyself really in many ways, I think because,(63)
我确实以很多方式施加了来自家人的压力,我认为是因为,

growing up, my parents always instilled inme that I was going to survive, that I was(64)
长大后,我的父母总是向我灌输我要生存,我是

going to be a star, that I was going to doanything that I wanted, somehow, somewhere,(65)
成为一颗明星,我将要做某事,无论如何,在某个地方,

that was still there, even though I was sodown and out.(66)
即使我跌跌撞撞地走了,那仍然在那里。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And you kept pushing through.(67)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫:而且,你一直在努力。

You finished college.(68)
你大学毕业了。

You went on to graduate school, ended up goinginto politics.(69)
您继续读研究生,最终进入政治领域。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Yes.(70)
凯琳·简·皮尔(Karine Jean-Pierre):是的。

Yes.(71)
是。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Why do you think you did?(72)
JUDY WOODRUFF:您为什么认为自己做到了?

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: I think I just persevered.(73)
凯琳·简·皮埃尔:我想我一直坚持下去。

I think it's the being knocked down and goingback up again.(74)
我认为这是被击倒然后又重新上升的原因。

I now teach at Columbia University, an IvyLeague school.(75)
我现在在常春藤盟校哥伦比亚大学任教。

I have to mentor and teach young people andhelp them get through their lives.(76)
我必须指导和教导年轻人,并帮助他们度过一生。

And I have a 5-year-old.(77)
我有一个5岁的孩子。

My partner and I have this beautiful 5-year-olddaughter.(78)
我的伴侣和我有一个漂亮的5岁女儿。

And I think that helps me persevere, and thathelps me understand, what kind of world do(79)
而且我认为这可以帮助我坚持不懈,也可以帮助我了解什么样的世界

I want to leave for her?(80)
我要去找她吗

JUDY WOODRUFF: You talk about advice to youngpeople, that they don't have to work at the(81)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):您谈论的是对年轻人的建议,即他们不必在年轻人那里工作。

White House, which you said, or the statecapitol.(82)
您说过的白宫还是州议会大厦。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Yes.(83)
凯琳·简·皮尔(Karine Jean-Pierre):是的。

Yes.(84)
是。

Yes.(85)
是。

JUDY WOODRUFF: That they can make a differencein politics and policy at the grassroots level.(86)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):他们可以在基层改变政治和政策。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Yes.(87)
凯琳·简·皮尔(Karine Jean-Pierre):是的。

I believe that they can.(88)
我相信他们可以。

The way they're going to make that changeis if their voice is in the fight, if they(89)
他们做出改变的方式是,如果他们的声音在战斗中,如果他们

step into the political arena, whether it'sworking on that issue, or deciding to run(90)
涉足政治领域,无论是在解决该问题上还是决定竞选

themselves, or working for a candidate thatthey really believe in and want them to decide(91)
自己,或为他们真正相信并希望他们决定的候选人工作

their future.(92)
他们的未来。

And I tell that in my book.(93)
我在书中说过。

And I lay out the blueprint and the playbookfor doing that.(94)
我列出了这样做的蓝图和剧本。

JUDY WOODRUFF: In fact, there is a point ofthe book where you have not only worked for(95)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):实际上,这本书中有一点您不仅为

President Obama.(96)
奥巴马总统。

You worked for Anthony Weiner.(97)
您为Anthony Weiner工作。

You worked for John Edwards.(98)
您为约翰·爱德华兹(John Edwards)工作。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: I did.(99)
凯琳·简·皮埃尔:我做到了。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Politicians who didn't exactlyend up in the right place.(100)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):并非完全落入正确位置的政客。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Yes.(101)
凯琳·简·皮尔(Karine Jean-Pierre):是的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And it's an interesting lessonyou learned, isn't it?(102)
JUDY WOODRUFF:这是您学到的有趣的课程,不是吗?

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Yes.(103)
凯琳·简·皮尔(Karine Jean-Pierre):是的。

And I say in my book, don't put people upon a pedestal.(104)
我在书中说,不要让人们坐上基座。

Right?(105)
对?

Care about the issues, for sure, but don'tput people on a pedestal, because people are(106)
当然要关心这些问题,但是不要让人们坐下来,因为人们

flawed.(107)
有缺陷的。

We are flawed individuals.(108)
我们是有缺陷的个人。

And I also tell young people, if you do endup working for a flawed candidate, make sure(109)
我还告诉年轻人,如果您最终为有缺陷的候选人工作,请确保

you -- you got to make sure you take careof your career as well.(110)
您-您必须确保自己也照顾好自己的职业。

Right?(111)
对?

You have to make sure that you navigate throughthose waters, so that you can continue your(112)
您必须确保在这些水域中导航,以便您可以继续进行

career.(113)
事业。

And so it's just a fine line the walk on,but you have to continue sticking with what(114)
因此,这只是一条不错的路线,但您必须继续坚持

you believe in.(115)
你相信。

JUDY WOODRUFF: You are political strategist.(116)
JUDY WOODRUFF:您是政治家。

You're a Democratic political strategist.(117)
您是民主党的政治策略师。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Yes.(118)
凯琳·简·皮尔(Karine Jean-Pierre):是的。

Yes.(119)
是。

JUDY WOODRUFF: So I'm not going to let youget away without asking you, how do you believe(120)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):所以我不会让你离开而不问你,你如何相信

Democrats can defeat Donald Trump next year?(121)
民主党明年可以击败唐纳德·特朗普吗?

Do you think they have a good chance of winning?(122)
您认为他们有很大的获胜机会吗?

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: I do.(123)
凯琳·简·皮埃尔:我愿意。

And the reason why is because we have beenenergized the past three years, we, the Democratic(124)
原因是因为过去三年来我们充满活力,我们民主党

base, the resistance, if you want to callit that, and we have shown up in races in(125)
基础,阻力,如果你想称呼它,我们已经出现在

big ways, in historical numbers.(126)
历史上的大方法。

And there is an energy there.(127)
那里有能量。

When you look at the polling and it says,what do Democrats want the most, they want(128)
当您查看民意调查并说民意调查时,他们最想要的是

somebody who can beat Donald Trump.(129)
可以击败唐纳德·特朗普的人。

That's the thing.(130)
就是这样

Whoever is the nominee has to understand it'sgoing to take a movement to beat Donald Trump.(131)
被提名人必须了解,要采取行动击败唐纳德·特朗普。

It's not going to be easy, but we can do it.(132)
这并非易事,但我们可以做到。

You got to get young people out.(133)
你必须让年轻人出去。

You got to get people of color, black voters,black women who have been the backbone of(134)
您必须要吸引有色人种,黑人选民,黑人妇女,他们是

the Democratic Party.(135)
民主党。

You have to get women, educated white womenout.(136)
你必须让女人,受过良好教育的白人女人出去。

You have to get everybody.(137)
你必须让所有人。

You have to get that coalition and peoplewho don't normally vote or don't think their(138)
你必须得到那个联盟以及那些通常不投票或不认为自己的人的人

vote matters.(139)
投票很重要。

You have got to convince them to get themout.(140)
您必须说服他们把他们赶出去。

It's going to take a movement.(141)
这将需要一个动作。

JUDY WOODRUFF: The book is "Moving Forward:A Story of Hope, Hard Work, and the Promise(142)
朱迪·伍德鲁夫(JUDY WOODRUFF):这本书是“前进:关于希望,艰苦奋斗和诺言的故事

of America."(143)
美国。”

Thank you.(144)
谢谢。

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: Thank you.(145)
凯琳·简·皮埃尔:谢谢。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org