Bill de Blasio on inequality, Eric Garner and his 2020 competitors
2019-08-13 00:00:00


AMNA NAWAZ: We continue our series of conversationswith 2020 presidential candidates.(1)
AMNA NAWAZ:我们继续与2020年总统候选人进行一系列对话。

Last week, Judy Woodruff sat down with NewYork City Mayor Bill de Blasio to talk about(2)
上周,朱迪伍德拉夫与纽约市市长比尔德布拉西奥坐下来讨论

his run for the Democratic nomination.(3)
他参加民主党提名。

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)
JUDY WOODRUFF: Mayor Bill de Blasio, thankyou for being here.(4)
JUDY WOODRUFF:市长Bill de Blasio,谢谢你来到这里。

MAYOR BILL DE BLASIO (D), PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE:Thank you, Judy.(5)
市长比尔德布拉西奥(D),总统候选人:谢谢你,朱迪。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Why are you running?(6)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你为什么跑步?

I ask because there were already some 20 peoplein the race when you announced that you were(7)
我问,因为当你宣布你的时候,已经有20人参加了比赛

going to jump in.(8)
要跳进去。

And frankly you already got a big, complicatedjob.(9)
坦率地说,你已经完成了一项庞大而复杂的工作。

BILL DE BLASIO: I do have a big job, and that'sone of the reasons why I’m running, because(10)
BILL DE BLASIO:我确实有一份大工作,这也是我跑步的原因之一,因为

to take on the role of president, you betterbe ready for it.(11)
承担总统的角色,你最好做好准备。

I have a job that’s often been describedas the second toughest job in America.(12)
我的工作经常被描述为美国第二大难题。

And I’ve been able to get a lot done inNew York.(13)
而且我已经在纽约完成了很多工作。

It's a tough big place.(14)
这是一个艰难的大地方。

It’s a big place.(15)
这是一个很大的地方。

It’s the most diverse place on earth.(16)
这是地球上最多样化的地方。

We got pre-K for all our kids done.(17)
我们为所有孩子做了预先K.

We lowered crime while improving their relationshipbetween police committee, getting rid of things(18)
我们降低了犯罪率,同时改善了警察委员会之间的关系,摆脱了一切

like stop and frisk that were dividing us.(19)
喜欢停止和frisk分裂我们。

We did the $15 minimum wage, a lot of fundamentalwages.(20)
我们做了15美元的最低工资,很多基本工资。

So, I’m running because I know I can makechange.(21)
所以,我正在跑步,因为我知道我可以做出改变。

And I’m running because I have this fundamentalbelief that what's happened over the last(22)
我正在跑步,因为我有这个基本信念,即最后发生了什么

40 years since the election of Ronald Reaganis the country is less and less serving working(23)
罗纳德·里根当选40年后,这个国家的工作越来越少

Americans, more and more serving the veryfew, the wealthy and the big corporations.(24)
美国人越来越多地为少数人,富人和大公司服务。

We have to fix it.(25)
我们必须解决它。

We have to put working people first again.(26)
我们必须再次把劳动人民放在首位。

I can do it.(27)
我能做到。

I have done it in New York.(28)
我在纽约做过。

I want to do it for the whole country.(29)
我想为整个国家做这件事。

JUDY WOODRUFF: You clearly are a candidatewith progressive ideas.(30)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你显然是一个有进步思想的候选人。

There are already two other prominent candidatesin the race --(31)
在比赛中已经有两位其他着名候选人 -

BILL DE BLASIO: Yes.(32)
BILL DE BLASIO:是的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: -- with progressive ideas,Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren.(33)
JUDY WOODRUFF: - 有着先进的想法,伯尼桑德斯,伊丽莎白沃伦。

They are running well ahead of you in termsof recognition, support.(34)
在认可和支持方面,他们在你前面跑得很远。

Why not leave it to them to make this argument?(35)
为什么不让他们做出这个论点呢?

BILL DE BLASIO: Judy, I think very highlyof both Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren,(36)
BILL DE BLASIO:朱迪,我对伯尼·桑德斯和伊丽莎白·沃伦都非常赞赏,

but I remind you it's six months until anyoneeven starts voting.(37)
但我提醒你,直到有人开始投票还有六个月。

We have a long way to go.(38)
我们还有很长的路要走。

And what I bring to the table is somethingdifferent.(39)
而我带来的是不同的东西。

Both of them are very fine legislators.(40)
他们俩都是非常优秀的立法者。

I’m someone who is running one of the biggest,most complex places on earth and has been(41)
我是一个经营地球上最大,最复杂的地方之一的人

able to make real change for everyday people.(42)
能够为日常生活做出真正的改变。

That experience, that ability is differentfrom other candidates.(43)
那种经历,这种能力与其他候选人不同。

You can respect people.(44)
你可以尊重他人。

You can share values with them but still bringsomething different to the table.(45)
您可以与它们共享值,但仍然会为表格带来不同的东西。

Now, what I’m concerned about is the DemocraticParty, at this point there is a big debate(46)
现在,我关心的是民主党,此时还有一场大辩论

going on, who are we, what's the heart andsoul of our party?(47)
继续,我们是谁,我们党的心脏和灵魂是什么?

I say we need to be a progressive party.(48)
我说我们需要成为一个进步的政党。

We need to be a party that’s about workingpeople.(49)
我们需要成为一个关于劳动人民的聚会。

We need to be a party that actually showspeople we're not about the status quo.(50)
我们需要成为一个真正向人们展示我们不了解现状的政党。

And I think folks are more interested in actionsthan words.(51)
我认为人们对行动比对言辞更感兴趣。

I’m able to say, look, you want to knowwho I am?(52)
我可以说,看,你想知道我是谁?

Look at what I’ve done for 8.6 million people.(53)
看看我为860万人做了些什么。

And I think that would give voters assurancethat they know what they’re getting.(54)
而且我认为这会让选民确信他们知道他们会得到什么。

JUDY WOODRUFF: You mentioned a minimum wage.(55)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你提到了最低工资。

You brought that up in the debate the othernight.(56)
你那天晚上在辩论中提到了这件事。

BILL DE BLASIO: Yes.(57)
BILL DE BLASIO:是的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And we noticed that GovernorAndrew Cuomo's aide, one of them, tweeted(58)
JUDY WOODRUFF:我们注意到州长Andrew Cuomo的助手,其中一人,发推文

after you said that that you had zero to dowith the statewide $15 minimum wage, and that(59)
在你说你与全州最低15美元的最低工资没关系之后,那就是

you raised the minimum wage for New York Cityworkers only after workers in other parts(60)
你只是在其他地方的工人之后才提高了纽约市工人的最低工资

of the state of New York --(61)
纽约州 -

BILL DE BLASIO: Well, that's just not accuratewith all due respect to that individual.(62)
BILL DE BLASIO:嗯,这对那个人的所有应有的尊重都不准确。

We moved the $15 minimum wage for city workersand for non-profit organizations that were(63)
我们为城市工人和非营利组织提供了15美元的最低工资

funded by the city before the state of NewYork acted.(64)
在纽约州行动之前由该市资助。

In fact, that was one of the things that spurredthe state of New York to act.(65)
事实上,这是刺激纽约州采取行动的因素之一。

So, I stand by that statement.(66)
所以,我支持这一说法。

We did it on a very big scale.(67)
我们是在很大规模上做到的。

And when the $15 minimum wage idea first cameout and got currency, I supported it from(68)
当15美元的最低工资想法首次出现并获得货币时,我支持它

the beginning.(69)
一开始。

A lot of other Democrats held back and saidit wasn't realistic.(70)
许多其他民主党人拒绝并表示这是不现实的。

I fought for it from the beginning and helpedto achieve it.(71)
我从一开始就为它奋斗并帮助实现它。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Another economy-related question.(72)
JUDY WOODRUFF:另一个与经济相关的问题。

You delivered what many people would say isa memorable line at the debate.(73)
你在辩论中传达了很多人会说的难忘的一句话。

At one point, you said you planned to taxthe hell out of the wealthy.(74)
有一次,你说你计划从富人那里征税。

BILL DE BLASIO: Yes.(75)
BILL DE BLASIO:是的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: What exactly does that mean?(76)
JUDY WOODRUFF:这究竟是什么意思?

BILL DE BLASIO: It means --(77)
BILL DE BLASIO:这意味着 -

JUDY WOODRUFF: Where does it start?(78)
JUDY WOODRUFF:从哪里开始?

BILL DE BLASIO: Yes.(79)
BILL DE BLASIO:是的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Where does --(80)
JUDY WOODRUFF:哪里 -

BILL DE BLASIO: It’s -- look, the reasonI was dramatic about it is to say we’re(81)
BILL DE BLASIO:看起来,我之所以戏剧性的原因就是说我们是

in a dramatic problem where the rich havegotten richer to such a point now that the(82)
在一个戏剧性的问题中,富人现在已经变得更加富裕了

top 1 percent have more wealth than the bottom90 percent combined.(83)
前1%的人拥有的财富超过最低的90%。

It keeps getting worse.(84)
它一直在恶化。

In fact, the last big action on taxes wasa huge giveaway to the wealthy and corporations.(85)
事实上,税收的最后一项重大举措是对富人和企业的巨大贡献。

So I said, tax the hell, because I want tomake it very clear, we can't just do this(86)
所以我说,对地狱征税,因为我想说清楚,我们不能这样做

incrementally.(87)
增量。

We need to go back to the tax levels associatedwith those well-known radicals, John F. Kennedy(88)
我们需要回到与那些着名的激进分子John F. Kennedy相关的税收水平

and Dwight D. Eisenhower.(89)
和Dwight D. Eisenhower。

And the plan I put out, and you can go totaxthehell.com and see all about it, the plan(90)
我提出的计划,您可以访问taxthehell.com并查看所有相关计划

makes very clear -- we should have a 70 percentincome tax rate for the wealthiest individuals.(91)
非常明确 - 我们应该为最富有的人提供70%的所得税率。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Starting at what income?(92)
JUDY WOODRUFF:从什么收入开始?

BILL DE BLASIO: At $2 million.(93)
BILL DE BLASIO:200万美元。

JUDY WOODRUFF: OK.(94)
JUDY WOODRUFF:好的。

BILL DE BLASIO: And we should -- we shouldrepeal the Trump tax cuts.(95)
BILL DE BLASIO:我们应该 - 我们应该废除特朗普的减税政策。

We should repeal the loss of state and localtax deductibility.(96)
我们应该废除国家和地方税收减免的损失。

That needs to go back to the way it was for100 years.(97)
这需要回到100年前的状态。

It was fair, we need to put it back.(98)
这是公平的,我们需要把它还掉。

But for the wealthiest Americans who havebenefited literally for four decades from(99)
但对于最富有的美国人来说,这些美国人已经从中受益了四十年

favorable tax policies and all sorts of otherbenefits, we have to rebalance things.(100)
有利的税收政策和各种其他好处,我们必须重新平衡事物。

I can tell you, you talk to folks all overAmerica, the feeling the society is not fair(101)
我可以告诉你,你和美国各地的人交谈,感觉社会不公平

to them, that's a dangerous reality we haveto solve.(102)
对他们来说,这是我们必须解决的危险现实。

JUDY WOODRUFF: You’re not worried aboutthe signal that sends people in the middle(103)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你并不担心让人们处于中间的信号

class here, oh, yes, he says he's only goingto tax the rich, but we know what that means?(104)
在这里上课哦,是的,他说他只会对富人征税,但我们知道这意味着什么?

BILL DE BLASIO: Well, I would say to people,look at what I have done, which has been very(105)
BILL DE BLASIO:嗯,我会对人们说,看看我做了什么,这是非常的

consistent on behalf of working people andmiddle-class people.(106)
代表劳动人民和中产阶级人士。

The fact is this status quo -- I think you'llfind this all over this country -- folks look(107)
事实是这种现状 - 我想你会在这个国家找到这个 - 人们看

at the status quo, they know it's broken.(108)
在现状,他们知道它已经坏了。

We’re not going to fix it with little halfmeasures.(109)
我们不会用一半的措施来修复它。

We have to do something really strong to rebalancethe equation of this country.(110)
我们必须做一些非常强大的事情来重新平衡这个国家的等式。

JUDY WOODRUFF: You've had an up-and-down relationship,I think it’s fair to say, with the New York(111)
JUDY WOODRUFF:我认为你和纽约的关系很平常,我认为这是公平的。

City police.(112)
市警察。

You're now --(113)
你现在 -

BILL DE BLASIO: With the unions.(114)
BILL DE BLASIO:与工会合作。

JUDY WOODRUFF: With the union.(115)
JUDY WOODRUFF:与工会合作。

Well --(116)
好 -

BILL DE BLASIO: I want to be clear.(117)
BILL DE BLASIO:我想说清楚。

The rank-and-file are 36,000 people with allsorts of different views, but with some of(118)
排名和档案是36,000人,有各种不同的观点,但有一些

the unions.(119)
工会。

That’s a true statement.(120)
这是一个真实的陈述。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Just recently, criticism thatyou didn’t -- you have not called for the(121)
JUDY WOODRUFF:就在最近,批评你没有 - 你没有要求

firing of Officer Pantaleo, who was responsiblein the chokehold death of Eric Garner.(122)
解雇潘塔莱奥警官,他负责埃里克加纳的窒息死亡。

What do you say to those people?(123)
你对那些人说什么?

BILL DE BLASIO: So, one, the city of New Yorkwas told by the federal Justice Department(124)
BILL DE BLASIO:所以,联邦司法部告诉纽约市

soon after the tragedy of Eric Garner, andI know the family.(125)
在埃里克加纳的悲剧发生后不久,我就认识了这个家庭。

They've gone through hell.(126)
他们经历了地狱。

It's a horrible tragedy.(127)
这是一场可怕的悲剧。

It should not have happened.(128)
它不应该发生。

We can't let it happen again.(129)
我们不能再让它发生。

And we're focused on making sure there neveris such a tragedy again in New York City.(130)
我们专注于确保纽约市再也不会发生这样的悲剧。

We have changed the way we police profoundly.(131)
我们已经彻底改变了我们的警察方式。

Implicit bias training, de-escalation training,all sorts of things to make sure it never(132)
隐性偏见培训,降级培训,各种各样的事情,以确保它永远不会

happens again.(133)
再次发生。

But the federal Justice Department told us,do not proceed with any action, do not proceed(134)
但联邦司法部告诉我们,不要采取任何行动,不要继续

with departmental trial, because the JusticeDepartment wanted to be able to do it the(135)
部门审判,因为司法部希望能够做到这一点

way they wanted to do it for -- regardingcriminal charges.(136)
他们想要做的方式 - 关于刑事指控。

I will tell you in retrospect, I thought Iwas dealing with an honest broker in the Justice(137)
回想起来,我会告诉你,我以为我正在处理司法中的诚实经纪人

Department.(138)
部门。

That proved not to be true.(139)
事实证明并非如此。

Five years passed.(140)
五年过去了。

I’ve said, we would never make that mistakeagain, and God forbid there is another tragedy.(141)
我说过,我们再也不会犯这个错误了,上帝禁止再发生一次悲剧。

But here's why I do not issue an opinion.(142)
但这就是我不发表意见的原因。

A police department judge, this is somethingyou wouldn't have assumed in the history of(143)
一个警察局的法官,这是你在历史上不会想到的

New York City, under today's NYPD, a policedepartment judge said Officer Pantaleo must(144)
纽约市,在今天的纽约市警察局,警察局法官说潘塔莱奥警官必须

be terminated.(145)
被终止

We have two weeks now just procedurally itgoes to the police commissioner.(146)
我们现在有两个星期的时间,只是在程序上它是警察局长。

I believe this has been a fair, open, transparentprocess that will yield justice.(147)
我认为这是一个公平,公开,透明的过程,将产生正义。

My voicing of an opinion only complicatesit and prolongs it because that could lead(148)
我发表意见只会让它变得复杂并延长它,因为这可能会导致

to a court case and prolong this case fora long time.(149)
在法庭案件中,长期延长此案。

We got to close this capture for the Garnerfamily, for our city, for our nation.(150)
我们必须为加纳家族,我们的城市和我们的国家关闭这个捕获。

We’ve got to close this chapter with justice.(151)
我们必须正义地结束这一章。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Mayor Bill de Blasio from NewYork City, thank you very much for joining(152)
JUDY WOODRUFF:纽约市市长Bill de Blasio,非常感谢您加入

us.(153)
我们。

BILL DE BLASIO: Thank you very much.(154)
BILL DE BLASIO:非常感谢。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org