Artists harness the power of fire and ice to shape attitudes on climate change
2019-05-15 00:00:00


AMNA NAWAZ: There's no lack of images andpowerful video when it comes to the disasters(1)
AMNA NAWAZ:在灾难发生时,不乏图像和强大的视频

like wildfires or melting glaciers.(2)
喜欢野火或冰川融化。

But a pair of artists are using those imagesin new ways, part of their mission to warn(3)
但是,一对艺术家正以新的方式使用这些图像,这是他们发出警告的一部分

people about what's happening too frequentlyto familiar landscapes.(4)
人们对于熟悉的景观过于频繁发生的事情。

Miles O'Brien has this different look at thepower of fire and ice for our segment on the(5)
Miles O'Brien对我们这个细分市场的火与冰的力量有不同的看法

Leading Edge.(6)
前沿。

MILES O'BRIEN: In a small shack in the PalmSprings Desert and a sunlit studio on a Brooklyn(7)
MILES O'BRIEN:在棕榈泉沙漠的一个小棚屋和布鲁克林的阳光照射工作室

corner, two artists are aiming their talentat an existential crisis.(8)
一个角落,两位艺术家将他们的才华瞄准了存在主义的危机。

JEFF FROST, Artist: Sometimes, people accuseme of being an alarmist.(9)
JEFF FROST,艺术家:有时,人们指责我是一个危言耸听者。

And I say, that's exactly right.(10)
我说,这是完全正确的。

It is time to sound the alarm.(11)
是时候发出警报了。

Any sensible adult who's responsible in anyway would be sounding the alarm right now.(12)
任何以任何方式负责的明智成年人现在都会发出警报。

MILES O'BRIEN: For Jeff Frost, the subjectis wildfire.(13)
MILES O'BRIEN:对于Jeff Frost来说,主题是野火。

The medium is time-lapse video art.(14)
媒体是延时视频艺术。

His film is "California on Fire," an intense,horrifying creation about destruction.(15)
他的电影是“加利福尼亚火灾”,这是一部关于破坏的激烈而可怕的创作。

JEFF FROST: I had looked at this wildfiresituation and I thought, well, here is a present-day(16)
杰夫弗罗斯特:我看过这种野火情况,我想,嗯,这是今天的事

effect of climate change.(17)
气候变化的影响。

People tend to not react to things unlessthey're actually happening to them right then.(18)
人们往往不会对事情作出反应,除非他们当时正在发生这些事情。

And I was thinking, well, this is happeningright now.(19)
我在想,好吧,现在正在发生这种情况。

It's definitely not a film that pulls anypunches whatsoever.(20)
这绝对不是一部能够带来任何打击的电影。

In fact, it's full-on aggressive.(21)
事实上,它充满了侵略性。

MILES O'BRIEN: For Zaria Forman, the missionis the same.(22)
MILES O'BRIEN:对于Zaria Forman来说,任务是一样的。

ZARIA FORMAN, Artist: Art has this very specialability to tap into people's emotions, and(23)
ZARIA FORMAN,艺术家:艺术有这种非常特殊的能力来挖掘人们的情感

people take action and make decisions basedon their emotions more than anything else.(24)
人们采取行动并根据自己的情绪做出决定。

MILES O'BRIEN: Her medium is pastels, andher subject is ice, vanishing ice, also a(25)
MILES O'BRIEN:她的媒介是粉彩,她的主题是冰,消冰,也是冰

story of destruction, on a different timescale, and from a different perspective.(26)
破坏的故事,在不同的时间尺度上,从不同的角度来看。

ZARIA FORMAN: I choose specifically to showthe beauty of these places at the forefront(27)
ZARIA FORMAN:我特意选择将这些地方的美丽展现在最前沿

of climate change, as opposed to the devastationthat's happening, because I want people to(28)
气候变化,而不是正在发生的灾难,因为我想要人们

be inspired, to be moved to want to protectand preserve them.(29)
受到启发,被感动以保护和保护它们。

MILES O'BRIEN: Jeff Frost began his artisticjourney here, inside abandoned houses in California's(30)
MILES O'BRIEN:Jeff Frost在加利福尼亚的废弃房屋内开始他的艺术之旅

Salton Sea.(31)
索尔顿海。

As he embellished them with paint, he capturedtime-lapse images, art that is as much about(32)
当他用油漆点缀它们时,他捕捉到了延时图像,这些艺术同样重要

the process as the object.(33)
过程作为对象。

JEFF FROST: On the way to one, I accidentallyran into my first wildfire out -- right out(34)
杰夫弗罗斯特:在前往一个人的路上,我不小心碰到了我的第一个野火 - 正好

here by the wind farms.(35)
这里是风电场。

My artist brain just kind of exploded, andI stopped immediately and time-lapsed it all(36)
我的艺术家大脑爆炸了,我立刻停了下来,时间一切都消失了

night.(37)
晚。

I just was looking at it, thinking, I havenever seen anything like this.(38)
我只是看着它,想着,我从来没有见过这样的东西。

And it was wildly exciting.(39)
这真是令人兴奋。

I want to do more.(40)
我想做更多。

MILES O'BRIEN: Zaria Forman's love of distant,fragile places is inherited.(41)
MILES O'BRIEN:Zaria Forman对遥远而脆弱的地方的爱是继承的。

Her mother, Rena Bass Forman, was a fine artlandscape photographer, obsessed with exploring(42)
她的母亲Rena Bass Forman是一位艺术风景摄影师,痴迷于探索

and photographing the most remote places onthe planet.(43)
并拍摄地球上最偏远的地方。

In 2007, they traveled together to Greenland.(44)
2007年,他们一起前往格陵兰岛。

For Zaria, the ice offered inspiration, andyet also intimidation.(45)
对于扎里亚来说,冰提供了灵感,但同时也是恐吓。

ZARIA FORMAN: I was terrified to draw ice,and I omitted it from all of my drawings.(46)
ZARIA FORMAN:我害怕画冰,我把它从所有的画中省略了。

It's hard.(47)
这个很难(硬。

It doesn't lend itself to very crisp, hardlines, specific details.(48)
它不适合非常清晰,强硬的线条,具体细节。

And especially white is one of the hardestcolors to work with.(49)
特别是白色是最难处理的颜色之一。

It doesn't blend well with other colors.(50)
它与其他颜色不能很好地融合。

So, I just didn't think I was going to becapable of it, to be totally honest.(51)
所以,我只是觉得我没有能力,完全诚实。

MILES O'BRIEN: But it was impossible to ignorethis artistic sin of omission, so she eventually(52)
MILES O'BRIEN:但是不可能忽视这种遗漏的艺术罪,所以她最终也是如此

embraced the challenge.(53)
迎接挑战。

ZARIA FORMAN: And it was this big, kind ofscary step, but I made my first drawing when(54)
ZARIA FORMAN:这是一个巨大的,可怕的一步,但我在第一次画画的时候

I got home, and it didn't turn out so bad.(55)
我回到家了,结果并没那么糟糕。

And I have been doing it ever since.(56)
从那时起我就一直这样做。

MILES O'BRIEN: Jeff Frost became equally obsessedwith wildfires.(57)
MILES O'BRIEN:杰夫弗罗斯特同样沉迷于野火。

He started responding to the big ones.(58)
他开始回应那些大人物。

JEFF FROST: The very first time I went toa fire, it was just massive level of anxiety(59)
杰夫弗罗斯特:我第一次去火,这只是一种巨大的焦虑

and heightened alert.(60)
并提高警惕。

But, once I got used to it, it became morecontemplative, and it became more strategized.(61)
但是,一旦我习惯了它,它变得更加沉思,它变得更具战略性。

I would take this photo that was incrediblyaesthetically beautiful, but then I would(62)
我会拍这张令人难以置信的美学照片,但后来我愿意

feel guilty because I was happy about makinga good picture.(63)
感到愧疚,因为我很高兴能拍出好照片。

And I think a lot of photojournalists probablygo through this.(64)
而且我认为很多摄影记者都可能会经历这个。

And, eventually, I compartmentalized and strategized.(65)
而且,最终,我划分了区域并制定了战略。

And so, in a lot of ways, the strategy isto pull people in with that aesthetic beauty,(66)
因此,在很多方面,策略是吸引人们进入审美之美,

but then they're seeing something that's gota lot more depth than just the surface.(67)
但随后他们看到的东西比表面更深入。

MILES O'BRIEN: His is constantly playing withthe clock, speeding it up, slowing it down,(68)
MILES O'BRIEN:他一直在玩时钟,加快速度,减慢速度,

lingering on a frame.(69)
徘徊在一个框架上。

JEFF FROST: If you change chronologies awayfrom real time, what our experience of time(70)
JEFF FROST:如果你改变了实时的年表,那就是我们对时间的体验

is as humans, it can give you the overvieweffect, which is the same kind of thing that(71)
就像人类一样,它可以为你提供概览效果,这是同样的事情

you get if you were to look at space photosfrom the International Space Station.(72)
如果你要看国际空间站的空间照片,你会得到。

It sort of expands your mind into this widerview.(73)
它将你的思想扩展到更广阔的视野。

We really need that, because I don't think,in the evolution of our species, anything(74)
我们真的需要这样,因为我认为,在我们物种的进化中,没有任何东西

has ever developed to give us a global instinct.(75)
我们的发展是为了给我们一种全球本能。

MILES O'BRIEN: Zaria Forman has her own taleof overview.(76)
MILES O'BRIEN:Zaria Forman有自己的概述故事。

ZARIA FORMAN: So, one day, I opened this e-mailthat was in my inbox that read, "Dear Zaria,(77)
ZARIA FORMAN:所以,有一天,我打开了收件箱里写的这封电子邮件:“亲爱的Zaria,

we would love for you to come fly with usover Antarctica, love NASA."(78)
我们希望你能和我们一起飞越南极洲,爱美国宇航局。“

(LAUGHTER)
ZARIA FORMAN: And I was like, what?(79)
扎里亚·福尔曼:我就像,什么?

MILES O'BRIEN: It was the crew of NASA's IceBridge,which flies low-altitude sensing missions(80)
MILES O'BRIEN:这是美国宇航局IceBridge的机组人员,他们驾驶着低空传感任务

over both polar regions.(81)
在两个极地地区。

She's flown with them several times, a newperspective on a familiar subject.(82)
她和他们一起飞过几次,对一个熟悉的主题有了新的看法。

ZARIA FORMAN: I'm used to seeing it at thevery end stage, either the face of a glacier(83)
ZARIA FORMAN:我已经习惯在最后阶段看到它,无论是冰川还是冰面

where the icebergs are calving off, or theicebergs that have already broken off and(84)
冰山正在产犊的地方,或已经断裂的冰山

are on their deathbed, essentially, untilthey melt completely in the ocean.(85)
他们正在临终前,直到他们在海洋中完全融化。

So, it was really interesting to get to getto fly over the ice cap, over the ice sheet,(86)
所以,真的很有趣的是飞越冰盖,越过冰盖,

and really see where all of that ice camefrom, and understand how it travels and how(87)
并且真正看到所有冰块来自哪里,并了解它的传播方式和方式

it moves.(88)
它动了。

MILES O'BRIEN: It is the focus of her workright now.(89)
MILES O'BRIEN:这是她现在工作的重点。

ZARIA FORMAN: I want to be true to the landscapethat existed at that point in time.(90)
扎里亚·福尔曼:我希望忠实于那个时代存在的景观。

I want the viewer to have as much of a recreationof an experience that I had.(91)
我希望观众尽可能多地体验我的体验。

I want it to be real.(92)
我希望它是真实的。

MILES O'BRIEN: The landscape depicted in "Californiaon Fire" is grim.(93)
MILES O'BRIEN:“加州火灾”中描绘的景观非常严峻。

It ripples with tension, made palpable witha throbbing soundtrack composed and performed(94)
它紧张地涟漪,用悸动的音轨组成并表演

by Jeff Frost himself.(95)
杰夫弗罗斯特本人。

JEFF FROST: The most feedback from the firefightersthemselves I have got is, this really makes(96)
杰夫弗罗斯特:我得到的消防员自己的反馈最多的是,这真的很有用

you feel like you're in the middle of a fire.(97)
你觉得你正处于火灾中。

And you see the things that normally civilianswouldn't see.(98)
你会看到平民通常看不到的东西。

This probably gets as close as you're goingto get.(99)
这可能会得到你想要的尽可能接近。

I have had a number of people thank me foressentially making something beautiful and(100)
我有一些人感谢我基本上做了一些美丽的东西

something productive and artistic out of thishorror that they experienced.(101)
他们所经历的这种恐怖的生产力和艺术性。

There are moments in this where horror isbeauty.(102)
在这里有片刻恐怖就是美。

MILES O'BRIEN: For Zaria Forman, the horrorlies in the beauty that is vanishing, melting,(103)
MILES O'BRIEN:对于Zaria Forman来说,恐怖在于美丽正在消失,融化,

even as she freezes it on paper.(104)
即使她在纸上冻结它。

ZARIA FORMAN: I think it's important to havelike come at it at all different angles, you(105)
ZARIA FORMAN:我认为从各个角度来看都很重要,你

know?(106)
知道?

Like, we need news.(107)
就像,我们需要新闻。

We need the stories.(108)
我们需要这些故事。

We need the data from the scientists.(109)
我们需要来自科学家的数据。

But then I think we also need beautiful images,whatever we can possibly do to change policy.(110)
但后来我认为我们还需要美丽的图像,无论我们做什么都可以改变政策。

I mean, we're moving in the right direction,just not fast enough.(111)
我的意思是,我们正朝着正确的方向前进,但速度还不够快。

JEFF FROST: I can't really go into it sayinglike, I'm going to change the world.(112)
杰夫弗罗斯特:我真的不能说,我要改变这个世界。

I'm saying like, look, it would be great ifthis was a catalyst.(113)
我想说,如果这是一个催化剂,那将会很棒。

I think everybody has to do their thing.(114)
我想每个人都必须做他们的事情。

I just feel like more like I'm doing my part,you do your part too, and you and you and(115)
我只是觉得我更像是在做我自己的一部分,你也做你自己的一部分,你和你,你

you and everybody else.(116)
你和其他人。

And they're all important.(117)
而且他们都很重要。

MILES O'BRIEN: Two artists making fine artof fire and ice, beautiful, terrifying work,(118)
MILES O'BRIEN:两位艺术家制作精美的火与冰艺术,美丽而可怕的作品,

created to evoke and provoke.(119)
创造以唤起和挑衅。

For the "PBS NewsHour," I'm Miles O'Brienin Palm Springs and Brooklyn.(120)
对于“PBS NewsHour”,我是Palm Springs和布鲁克林的Miles O'Brien。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org