Haiti wants clarification on Trump’s comments, says ambassador
2018-01-12 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Now for reaction from one ofthe nations targeted by President Trump in(1)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:现在从由特朗普总统针对性的国家之一反应

yesterday's discussion of immigration withmembers of Congress, I'm joined by the ambassador(2)
与国会议员入境昨天的讨论中,我被大使加盟

of Haiti to the United States, Paul Altidor.(3)
海地的美国,保罗Altidor。

PAUL ALTIDOR, Haitian Ambassador to the UnitedStates: Mr. Ambassador, thank you for being(4)
PAUL ALTIDOR,海地驻美国:大使先生,谢谢您的

here.(5)
这里。

Thank you for having me.(6)
谢谢你邀请我。

It's a pleasure being here.(7)
这是一个很高兴来这里。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Your reaction to what you weretold and believe the president said yesterday.(8)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:你对你被告知什么,相信总统的反应昨天说。

PAUL ALTIDOR: Surprise and disappointed thatsuch statements would come out of such a prestigious(9)
PAUL ALTIDOR:惊喜和失望的是,这样的言论会来这样一个著名的出

office like the office of the president ofthe United States.(10)
办公室就像美国总统的办公室。

But, again, those statements were allegedto have been made by the president of the(11)
但是,再一次,据称这些语句已被的总统做

United States.(12)
美国。

Rather than us simply come out and condemnthem, which we do condemn, regardless who(13)
而不是我们简单出来,并谴责他们,这是我们谴责,无论谁

says them, we did -- as a government, we didsummon the U.S. charge d'affaires in Haiti(14)
他们说,我们没有 - 作为政府,我们所做的召唤海地美国代办

to come explain or at least give us some clarityon what was said prior to us jumping into(15)
来解释,或者至少给我们一些清晰度什么我们跳进之前说

conclusions.(16)
结论。

And, two, I have been actually trying to getsome clarity as well from the State Department(17)
而且,二,我一直在实际上是试图从国务院获得一些清晰度以及

here in Washington, D.C., as to whether ornot the statements were actually made.(18)
在华盛顿特区,是否或不声明实际上做。

But, again, like I said, regardless if thosestatements were made, unfortunately, the country(19)
但同样,就像我说的,如果不考虑这些分别作了发言,不幸的是,该国

of Haiti once again finds itself in the middleof yet another feud that has nothing to do(20)
海地再次发现自己在另一个世仇中间的那个无关

with us as a people, and we wanted to be certainthat this issue is clarified.(21)
我们作为一个民族,我们希望可以肯定,这个问题澄清。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Did the U.S. diplomat in Haitispeak to your government and have an explanation?(22)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:难道在海地的美国外交官说,以你的政府,并有一个解释?

PAUL ALTIDOR: Well, I know this meeting tookplace earlier this afternoon.(23)
PAUL ALTIDOR:嗯,我知道这会发生在今天下午早些时候。

I have yet to speak with my foreign ministerto get all the details about this.(24)
我还没有与我的外交大臣让所有关于这个细节说话。

But, summoned, we know she came to the ForeignMinistry and discussed with our foreign minister.(25)
但是,召唤,我们知道她来到外交部,并与我们的外长讨论。

I have yet to have all the details on whatwas said.(26)
我还没有看到有什么说的所有细节。

JUDY WOODRUFF: So you haven't gotten a readyet on what she said?(27)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:你还没有得到一个尚未对她说什么看?

What about the U.S. State Department here?(28)
什么美国国务院在这里?

You said you have been reaching out to them.(29)
你说你已经深入到他们。

Have they responded?(30)
他们有没有回应?

What have they said?(31)
他们有什么说的吗?

PAUL ALTIDOR: So far, we have not receivedany formal response yet from the State Department.(32)
PAUL ALTIDOR:到目前为止,我们还没有从国务院收到任何正式的回应呢。

Keep in mind, things have been moving quite-- very quickly throughout the day since this(33)
全天很快,因为这一点 - 请记住,事情已经很感动

news broke out yesterday.(34)
记者昨日爆发。

So, we're hoping between tonight and tomorrowthere may be a formal response from the State(35)
所以,我们今晚和明天之间的希望有可能会从国家的正式回应

Department as to what -- exactly what wassaid.(36)
系,以什么 - 究竟说了些什么。

JUDY WOODRUFF: So, you don't -- you feel youdon't have clarity yet on exactly what the(37)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:所以,你不要 - 你觉得你没有明确目的尚未就正是

president said, or you do?(38)
总裁说,要不你怎么办?

PAUL ALTIDOR: Well, we know something wassaid.(39)
PAUL ALTIDOR:嗯,我们知道的东西被说。

We know, unfortunately, something was saidabout Haiti and a group of other countries.(40)
我们知道,不幸的是,有什么东西在谈到海地和一群其他国家。

Again, we condemn the statements.(41)
同样,我们谴责声明。

We condemn the unfortunate things that weresaid, especially on this special occasion.(42)
我们谴责中说,不幸的事情,尤其是在这个特殊的日子。

Here I am sitting here today talking to youabout some regrettable statement when Haiti(43)
在这里,我今天坐在这里跟你谈一些令人遗憾的语句时,海地

is mourning, is actually commemorating theearthquake that happened back in 2010.(44)
哀悼,其实是纪念在2010年发生了后面的大地震。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Right.(45)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:对。

And this is the anniversary of that happening.(46)
这是发生这种情况的纪念日。

PAUL ALTIDOR: Exactly.(47)
PAUL ALTIDOR:没错。

On this exact date, 300,000 people lost theirlives.(48)
在这个确切的日期,30万人失去了生命。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Three hundred thousand people.(49)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:三十万人。

Mr. Ambassador, several people have reportedfrom that meeting that the president said,(50)
大使先生,几个人已经从该次会议上,总统说报道,

speaking of Haiti, "Why would we want peoplefrom Haiti here?"(51)
海地时说,“为什么我们希望人们从海地在这里吗?”

If you were to have the chance to talk toPresident Trump right now, how would you answer(52)
如果你有说话特朗普总统现在有机会,你会如何回答

him?(53)
他?

PAUL ALTIDOR: Well, first, we hope, if thestatements were made by the president of the(54)
PAUL ALTIDOR:嗯,首先,我们希望,如果发了言的总统做

United States, we would prefer to think hewas ill-informed, misinformed about Haitians,(55)
美国,我们宁愿认为他不了解情况,误导约海地人,

the community of -- the country of Haiti,because what we're talking about here is a(56)
社区 - 海地的国家,因为我们在这里谈论什么是

country, a neighbor of the United States witha very long history with the people here.(57)
国家,美国具有非常悠久的历史,这里的人们邻居。

Haitians lost their lives.(58)
海地人丧生。

Haitians gave their blood back in 1779 tofight for the independence of this country.(59)
海地人给他们的回血于1779年,为这个国家的独立而战。

So, our history here with the United Statesgoes back a long, long, long way.(60)
所以,在这里与美国我们的历史可以追溯到很长很长,很长的路要走。

And to this day, as I'm talking to you, wehave Haitians in universities who are professors(61)
而这一天,因为我跟你说话,我们有海地人在大学谁是教授

here.(62)
这里。

We have Haitians who are driving cabs allthroughout this country.(63)
我们谁都是遍布这个国家的驾驶出租车海地人。

We have Haitians taking care of the Americanelderly.(64)
我们有海地人照顾老人美国人的。

We have Haitians teachers teaching Americanstudents.(65)
我们有海地人教师授课的美国学生。

In other words, we feel there is misinformationas to who we are as a community.(66)
换句话说,我们觉得有误传为我们作为一个社会谁。

So, in light of what's happened, we're nothere to simply condemn the statement.(67)
因此,在发生了什么光,我们不是简单地谴责声明。

We also, as a government, as a people, toopen our arms.(68)
我们,作为政府,作为一个人,我们伸开双臂。

So, if I'm talking to President Trump today,what we're asking -- we're asking two things.(69)
所以,如果我今天说话特朗普先生,我们要问的 - 我们要问两两件事。

One, as a candidate, he did go to Little Haitiin Miami to address the community.(70)
一,作为一个候选人,他也去小海地在迈阿密,以解决社会。

So we're inviting him back to come and discoversome of those the communities where Haitians(71)
因此,我们邀请他回过来,发现一些与社区,海地人

live.(72)
生活。

Come to Boston, Mr. President.(73)
来波士顿,主席先生。

Come to Miami, Mr. President, and discoverthe resiliency.(74)
来到迈阿密,主席先生,并发现弹性。

Discover exactly what this community of Haitiansare doing.(75)
正是海地人这个社会正在做探索。

And since we're also talking about immigrationas well, we're hoping the president would(76)
而且,由于我们还谈论移民,以及,我们希望总统会

take time to see some of the TPS, to see exactlyhow much contribution as a community we continue(77)
需要一段时间才能看到一些TPS,看到作为一个社会,我们继续到底有多少贡献

to provide here in this country.(78)
提供在这个国度。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Do you believe the presidentowes you, owes your country an apology?(79)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:你相信总统欠你,欠你的国家道歉?

PAUL ALTIDOR: If something was said, justif I were to come here and step on your foot(80)
PAUL ALTIDOR:如果事情是说,只是如果我是到这里来踩你的脚

accidentally, we just hope this is good manners.(81)
一不小心,我们只是希望这是礼貌。

Again, we don't want to keep this conversationas to who said what.(82)
同样,我们不想让这个谈话是谁的话。

Something was said in the name of Haiti thatwe find regretful, we find unfortunate, because(83)
有个东西在海地,我们发现遗憾的名义说,我们发现不幸的,因为

this fits into a greater narrative as a governmentwe're trying to address, too much stigmas,(84)
这种融入更大的叙述作为政府,我们正在努力解决,太多的柱头,

too much stereotype about the country of Haiti.(85)
关于海地的国家太多的刻板印象。

So, we hope this is a new beginning of a newconversation about the country of Haiti and(86)
所以,我们希望这是一个关于海地的国家一个新的对话的一个新的开始

its people.(87)
它的人民。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Ambassador Altidor, I wantto ask you, because we were just talking about(88)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:Altidor大使,我想问问你,因为我们只是在谈论

this, about your own personal experience.(89)
这一点,你自己的亲身经历。

You came to the United States as a teenager.(90)
你来到美国作为一个十几岁。

PAUL ALTIDOR: Yes.(91)
PAUL ALTIDOR:是的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: You came to Boston.(92)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:你来到了波士顿。

PAUL ALTIDOR: Yes.(93)
PAUL ALTIDOR:是的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Just talk for a moment aboutwhat you found when you came the United States?(94)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:刚才谈了一个关于你发现了什么,当你来到美国的时刻?

PAUL ALTIDOR: Well, I came here just likemost.(95)
PAUL ALTIDOR:嗯,我来到这里就像大多数。

This is a typical story of other immigrantswho come here.(96)
这是谁到这里来其他移民的典型故事。

I came here in the middle of winter with aT-shirt on my back from Haiti into Boston(97)
我来到这里,在隆冬季节与从海地我回到波士顿T恤

in the middle of January.(98)
在一月中旬。

But what happened?(99)
但是,发生了什么?

What happened is, just like most other folkswho happen -- who are fortunate to be here,(100)
是什么事,就像谁发生其他大多数人 - 谁是幸运,在这里,

went to school, got my little part-time job,mate it to MIT, and became a Haitian ambassador.(101)
读书的时候,有我的小兼职,它交配麻省理工学院,并成为海地大使。

So, this is our Haitian success story, butalso an American story, as far as we're concerned,(102)
所以,这是我们的海天成功故事,也是一个美国的故事,就我们而言,

in part because our two people, our two countrieshave been living side by side jointly for(103)
在因为我们两个人的一部分,我们两国一直生活并肩共同为

a very long time.(104)
很长一段时间。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Your father, you were saying,was a taxi driver in Boston.(105)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:你的父亲,你是说,在波士顿出租车司机。

PAUL ALTIDOR: That's correct.(106)
PAUL ALTIDOR:这是正确的。

That's correct.(107)
这是正确的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: So he spent a number of yearshere in Boston, in this country, contributing(108)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:所以他在波士顿在这里度过了很多年,在这个国家,贡献

to the economy of this country, working assomeone who brought his family here.(109)
这个国家的经济,工作的人谁在这里带来了他的家人。

PAUL ALTIDOR: Exactly.(110)
PAUL ALTIDOR:没错。

Exactly.(111)
究竟。

And not only contributing to the economiesof this country, but also making a great contribution(112)
而且不仅有利于这个国家的经济,而且还作出巨大贡献

to the economies of Haiti as well.(113)
海地的经济体。

So, the bottom line, again, we are hopingthe American public, including the president(114)
因此,底线,再次,我们希望美国公众,包括总统

and others, get to know us as a communitybetter.(115)
和其他人,就知道我们的社会更好。

Too much misinformation is out there.(116)
太多的误传是在那里。

Too much misconception about who we are.(117)
我们是谁了太多的误解。

So, we're hoping to use this opportunity toengage the American public in a different(118)
所以,我们希望利用这个机会参与美国公众在不同的

conversation about who we are as a country,as a people.(119)
谈话我们是谁作为一个国家,作为一个人。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Well, you have certainly begunthat conversation right here.(120)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:嗯,你肯定已经开始的谈话就在这里。

And we appreciate it, Ambassador.(121)
我们对此表示赞赏,大使。

PAUL ALTIDOR: Yes.(122)
PAUL ALTIDOR:是的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Ambassador Paul Altidor, thankyou.(123)
朱迪·伍德拉夫:大使保罗Altidor,谢谢。

PAUL ALTIDOR: Thank you very much for havingme today.(124)
PAUL ALTIDOR:非常感谢您今天有我。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org